BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Classic recommend a game question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Ben Counter
msg tools
Hey guys.

First post, please be gentle.

I and my group of nerd friends get together for an evening a week to play RPGs. We were thinking of getting a big sexy board game to play as a change of pace. Could you guys recommend a game that might be suitable?

We'd like something that's not insanely complicated but has some depth to it, and we'd appreciate quite a lot of RPG-ish theme, too. Twilight Imperium was one that caught our eye, for instance, although it looks intimidatingly huge.

Any advice gratefully received,

Aescarion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ben,

welcome to the geek. I guess there are many, many games you could be interested in. Maybe you can be more specific what you are looking for? Which theme would interest you the most (fantasy, sci-fi, horror,...)? Any previous experience with board games (you like games like...)? Length of game?

Anyway, here are some suggestions, which come to mind and you might want to check out:
1. Betrayal at House on the Hill (game id # 10547)
A horror game, in which you have to explore a haunted house. At a certain point a haunt is triggered and one of the players turns evil. Some roleplaying makes the game more enjoyable IMHO.

2. Descent (game id # 17226)
I'm not familiar with it. Description: A dungeon crawl game using modular boards and scenarios, the game system will be an updated version of Fantasy Flight's Doom boardgame.

3. Runebound (game id # 21523)
See for yourself, this is also fantasy themed.

4. Zombies!!! (game id # 2471)
This looks a lot of fun, when you are into zombie movies/games (another one maybe Mall of Horror?). A simple game where players are people trapped in a town full of zombies. First to make it to the heliport or kill 25 zombies wins.

5. War of the Ring (game id # 9609)
If you are into Lord of the Rings this seems to be the ultimate confrontation game. That's the one I will get as soon as it is in print in Germany again.

Would be interesting to know, which game you bought in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
The game for you is Battlestations. I've never played myself (though I'd love to), but judging from descriptions, this will satisfy the nerdiest of friends.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12350

Welcome to the Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes
Shadows Over Camelot
Dune
Fury of Dracula
A Game of Thrones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Descent and Runebound 2nd edition.

You may also want to check out Prophecy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl, players can gain experience and better skills/stats.
Talisman is cool too, and a fair bit lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any dungeon crawls like Descent, Return of the Heroes etc.

Games like

Shadows over Camelot
Arkham Horror
Fury of Dracula
Twilight Imperium

Shorter amusing games like

Dragon's Gold
Drakon
Cave Troll
(shudder) Munchkin (shudder)

Good luck in finding what you're after!!

Cheers!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We'd like something that's not insanely complicated but has some depth to it, and we'd appreciate quite a lot of RPG-ish theme, too. Twilight Imperium was one that caught our eye, for instance, although it looks intimidatingly huge.

Twilight Imperium may not be the FIRST choice out of the gate. While not bad to learn...may be a little difficult to grasp for everyone!
Decent is a good game...can be a bit long...but I enjoy it for what it is (and the fantasy theme can't be overlooked!!). I say, find a game that catches your eye and check it out on the geek!!! I make MANY of my buys on recommendation of fellow gamers here! You will not find a better community for gamers! Everyone is always williing to help and no question is looked down at (at least in the 4 years exp. I have had on this site). Just take your time and you will find a gem everyone will enjoy!!!

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Harris
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

Sounds like Descent is the game for your group.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17226

You may find this list of games helpful too.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/923

If you need a place to buy games online in the US check out Thought Hammer.
http://www.thoughthammer.com/

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Johnson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome to the Geek,

1) say goodbye to your money, because with a fist question like yours...it's going to be flying out of your wallet faster then a hobo downing cheap wine.

2) i hope you have a good job, if not.... taking a second one for your new game addiction solves the problem.

3) you will need to throw out all your clothes, so your games can have their own space in your dwelling. better yet, build another room.....naw, just get a new house. remember......games are your new precious.sauron

4) if you find a spouse, girl-friend, fiancée that plays games......don't beat the snot out of her. because if she don't like it then your gaming buddy(her) will never play with you again. yes, i am telling you to let her win.

stay well,

jj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own Descent, it's a fun dungeon crawl but I think it is somewhat weak with regard to RPGesque character development. It plays more like a light RPG/dungeon crawl in my opinion.

You don't really earn experience to build up your characters by defeating monsters. Finding gold and treasure is really the key to making your characters more powerful.

I guess it just depends on how complex of an RPG system you're looking to get via a boardgame. You wont find a D&D level of complexity with Descent, but it's a fun game none the less.

The figures are really nice too, as are all the other components. The map itself is printed on very nice stock, and there are a plethora of missions available to download on the web.

I believe the expansion (Wells of darkness) just came out too.

If you enjoyed the game Heroquest then this will probably be up your alley.

PS: This is my first post too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Counter
msg tools
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

One poster recommended Zombies!!! - I actually have that game and we've played it once or twice and thought it was pretty good fun, although we underestimated how long it took. We've played a lot of Warhammer Quest over the years, too.

I'll take a look at Descent, and a couple of other suggestions. Is there anything of a completely different theme that you think we'd enjoy? Nothing too abstract, I'd say, but it doesn't have to be about purely fantasy RPg tropes.

Thanks again,

Aescarion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.