Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Witcher Adventure Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Speeding it up and encouraging investigations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, was thinking about this minor variant to speed things up and encourage investigations:

Remove all setback cards from all investigation decks. This makes investigation very appealing. I also feel that there is enough negative events from the foul fate deck that we don't need more in the investigation one.

To kinda offset this, allow investigations to be made only for the deck which colour matches the current space the character is on (This is also fluffier).



p/s: this game is underrated; can't believe many people hammer it for not being what they think an Ignacy games 'should be'. It's not a superstar game but the many 2s, 3s and 4s scores are damaging. Also shows the danger of people shopping just because they like a designer.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking it quite a lot. Maybe not Eldritch Horror love but still... It's lighter, faster and less unforgiving, which I like as a alternative...

Hopefully my playthrough I'm doing on YouTube and (especially) Ricky Royals will help to get this game more popular.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
4th Acute hearing loss, Jan19
badge
Worst Tinnitus ever
Avatar
mb
I really like it too.
Admittedly I bought it because Ignacy´s name is on it, and because it just looks so beautiful (this is one of my weaknesses, buying games because they look awesome...)
But - I had no idea about any "Witcher" - related other games, be it video- or roleplaying games, and so I had no expectations based on that.

After 4 or 5 rounds of my first game I thought "..... hmmmm ..... a little underwhelming...."

But then I found out that the game gets much better when the players investigate more!

After that I really enjoyed the game.

I will try your suggested variant for sure, it sounds really good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I really like the game.

I was going the houserule route even before I bought it based on the application, but once I got the physical version, I realized that this is a race for victory points, so all of my suggested houserules would have just bogged down the game.

You need to optimize routes, keep an eye on your opponent's support quests, use your actions efficiently, and develop your character in a way that will tip the odds in your favor.

I don't even think one character is better than another.(My premature conclusion after playing the app) They just all have different ways to achieve victory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't need changes. For one, you shouldn't have to encourage investigations. That's how you win the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
It doesn't need changes. For one, you shouldn't have to encourage investigations. That's how you win the game.


I don't think it needs changes (the game is well balanced) but a spate of bad luck of investigations can really slow the game down unnecessarily. Admittedly I also prefer the investigate at same colour locations from a thematic perspective.

@maho it is a beautiful looking game indeed, and I am a sucker for such as well!

Anyway if anyone has tried the variant do let me know how it went. I've only tried it once with 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mydnight wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
It doesn't need changes. For one, you shouldn't have to encourage investigations. That's how you win the game.


I don't think it needs changes (the game is well balanced) but a spate of bad luck of investigations can really slow the game down unnecessarily. Admittedly I also prefer the investigate at same colour locations from a thematic perspective.

@maho it is a beautiful looking game indeed, and I am a sucker for such as well!

Anyway if anyone has tried the variant do let me know how it went. I've only tried it once with 2.


I wonder how this variant would play with ricky2002's excellent solo variant?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about your proposed houserules is that they remove components from the game, so it doesn't feel right.

However, I like the rule about drawing investigation cards only from the deck that matches the color of location you're in. We're going to try that, leaving everything else as is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried a game with your houserule, while keeping the setbacks mixed in. It's very enjoyable. This makes locations feel more thematic, and different.

As a natural extension of this rule, you cannot investigate in locations that don't award leads.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the negativity comes from folks who simply loaded it on their iPads and as usual pushed some buttons ...

Many, many boardgames are not so good when played in digital form. But actually The Witcher holds up quite well in iPad mode (although the AI is terrible).

I am quite sure that a jewel like Eldritch Horror would not translate well on the digital platforms too.

So to me The Witcher gets an 8/10.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
We've tried a game with your houserule, while keeping the setbacks mixed in. It's very enjoyable. This makes locations feel more thematic, and different.

As a natural extension of this rule, you cannot investigate in locations that don't award leads.


Cool thanks for the response. Yes you cannot investigate in those 'empty' locations, but there are only two of them and I guess it really adds to the feeling of them being desolate locations. It encourages taking the double move to avoid them.

I think I should try it with the setbacks put back in as well, though I don't mind removing boring/overly nasty cards from my games (I do it with Eldritch Horror and other Ameritrash games).

Cheers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree about the color of the decks. you are removing choice, and characters venturing into decks they don't normally do. all this does is put it on rails.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I disagree about the color of the decks. you are removing choice, and characters venturing into decks they don't normally do. all this does is put it on rails.


I don't see how this makes characters venture into other decks and 'put it on rails'. It encourages you to avoid locations that don't allow you to draw from the deck you're interested in, and to instead develop/do something else when at a location that does not correspond to your deck. This does slow down the game because it makes movement more relevant, which is why I suggested removing the setback cards to speed it up. To argue that this removes choice is analogous to arguing that the game should just allow you to complete quests at any location since forcing you to go to a location removes choice.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this houserule because it prioritizes movement planning to locations you'd normally avoid( whether it's because they're farther from your main quest or because of a particularly strong monster.)


This also makes fast travel more strategically viable as you backtrack to locations you need to be to catch up to other characters, as well as removing the temptation of traveling between adjacent spots that can provide you any leads you want. This in turn gives more flavor to the game.

The Witcher gives you enough freedom as is. For instance, developing endlessly(which you don't really need)

We're keeping the setbacks because we don't like to remove components, and because we don't feel they specifically slow down the game. Everyone is exposed to them equally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.