Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I edit and produce an electronic-format magazine called "Sweep of History Games Magazine" (Sweep for short). It is about games that depict long periods of history, usually multi-player games. Britannia and its derivatives are of this type, as are Vinci, Seven Ages, Civilization, and many others. Diplomacy is not because the time frame is so short. Avalon Hill used to call them "fast forward history" games.

Why a magazine? Comments on Web sites (including BGG) rapidly become lost in the mists of time. If I use material that is unlikely to become dated, a magazine will be as useful and interesting to readers five years from now as it is today. A magazine also collects information together in a way that Web sites, by and large, do not. It is convenient for folks who do not visit Web sites with great frequency.

The first two issues are posted at:
http://boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=17554 and
http://boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=14226. The third issue will be out within a month.

Unfortunately, Britannia dominates the magazine for the obvious reason that this is what I'm most interested in and familiar with (I'm the designer), and many of the gamers I know are Britannia players. I would like to broaden the coverage, which is why I'm posting this message on some BGG forums.

I am looking for articles about Sweep of History games. Reviews, well-written session reports with an emphasis on strategy, even historical material related to a particular game or era, may be useful.

Please understand that anyone who writes anything for the magazine does so for free, and the magazine is freely downloadable in PDF format. Not being proud, we'll be happy to reprint anything from other zines or Web sites, if rights allow. Authors retain all rights. Issues are posted on my site, in Eurobrit (Yahoo Groups), on BGG, and on any other site that wants to. Frequency: three or four times a year (depends on availability of suitable material).

If you have an idea or comment, you can send it to me via my geek address, or comment here. Some people say "I'm not a writer", but if you can post on BGG and not embarrass yourself, you can write something well enough that I can take care of the rough edges.

Dr. Lew Pulsipher
Britannia, Valley of the Four Winds, Dragon Rage, etc.
Formerly contributing editor, White Dwarf, Space Gamer, Dragon
pulsiphergames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.