Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KG79
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t see the additional content in the Mass Hysteria pledge being worth an extra $45 over the Paranormal pledge. Am I missing something? That is a 56% increase over the Paranormal pledge and it gets you 1 Boss figure/card, 1 XL Impossible Mode Boss figure/card, 4 additional game board tiles, 6 glow in the dark dice and a picture. That’s definitely not 56% of the stuff you get in the Paranormal pledge (48 figures, 10 board game tiles, etc.).

It seems like backers are overwhelmingly choosing the Mass Hysteria pledge over the Paranormal pledge. What’s the rationale? Is it just a completionist thing? Is the Impossible Mode Stay Puft Marshmallow Man the draw? I’m not trying to bag on other people’s choices. If it’s worth an extra $45 to others that’s ok. I just don’t understand and wanted to start a discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
KG79 wrote:
I don’t see the additional content in the Mass Hysteria pledge being worth an extra $45 over the Paranormal pledge. Am I missing something? That is a 56% increase over the Paranormal pledge and it gets you 1 Boss figure/card, 1 XL Impossible Mode Boss figure/card, 4 additional game board tiles, 6 glow in the dark dice and a picture. That’s definitely not 56% of the stuff you get in the Paranormal pledge (48 figures, 10 board game tiles, etc.).

It seems like backers are overwhelmingly choosing the Mass Hysteria pledge over the Paranormal pledge. What’s the rationale? Is it just a completionist thing? Is the Impossible Mode Stay Puft Marshmallow Man the draw? I’m not trying to bag on other people’s choices. If it’s worth an extra $45 to others that’s ok. I just don’t understand and wanted to start a discussion.

Some of the stretch goals are for MH pledgers only, so the value should continue to improve as the campaign goes on.

The much more pleasing box design is probably a factor too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DiLoreto
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its your typical kickstarter exclusive garbage. they can charge what they want, and get it, under the whole "exclusive, one chance only" crutch that most of these types of kickstarters thrive under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Prewitt
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious myself. I pledged for Conan when it closed at the basic level, and had the same feelings about that Kickstarter - other than completionism, I couldn't see the extra stuff being worth the extra cost. But there, I was clearly in the minority, as the breakdown was something like 90-10 in favor of the larger pledge. That seems to be where this one is going as well, and right now, if I pledge, it would be at the lower level. With that kind of breakdown, it seems there isn't much incentive on their part to sweeten the pot for the larger pledge through the Kickstarter, since most everyone is already there. They don't have to work to convert many people.

It doesn't stress me out, to each his own, but it's an interesting pattern I'm seeing in these two Kickstarters pretty close in time. I don't follow enough of them to know if that's the larger pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KG79
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
KG79 wrote:

Some of the stretch goals are for MH pledgers only, so the value should continue to improve as the campaign goes on.

The much more pleasing box design is probably a factor too.

I guess they might have more stretch goals limited to the Mass Hysteria pledge as the project progresses but right now it's just the 4 Shandor Building game board tiles, which you can also get as a $5 add-on. I'll just wait and see towards the end of the Kickstarter to see how much additional value they've put into the higher pledge level. It could end up totally worth it by the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
The IP is a huge draw, but because its cryptozooic, and because it looks like they haven't innovated in any real way, I just can't fathom dropping even half of the amount they are charging for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completionist thing. Definitely completionist thing.

(Including myself in this, so don't nobody get all insulted now, you hear?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
Completionist thing. Definitely completionist thing.

(Including myself in this, so don't nobody get all insulted now, you hear?)

I agree that so far the value isn't there. Right now MH gets 8 more double-sided tiles, one boss, and one over-sized Angry Stay Puft. The dice and print are not really a draw for most.

I think they need to have at least one more SG that is free for the Mass Hysteria level but paid for the Paranormal level to make it really worth it. However, the way boardgamers are, we are suckers for getting "all of the stuff", so even if they don't add anything else most will still get the MH box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch eBay once this thing delivers.
You'll see a glut of Stay Puft Marshmallow Men up there for excessive prices.

That's why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm still waiting to see how it plays.

Brand new concepts/mechanics or just uses rehash of old ideas to make money selling figures?

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

I'm still waiting to see how it plays.

Brand new concepts/mechanics or just uses rehash of old ideas to make money selling figures?

cool

You can see how it plays whenever you want. There is a rules primer and two videos up on the KS page, and the designers have answered a lot of questions in the updates as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Gardiner
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The regular stay puft looks to be only a little bigger than the slimer, whereas the impossible mode version claims to be 100mm. That maybe worth the extra money for a collector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy T

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmb
When the game first went up I was going to pledge to the Mass Hysteria level because I wanted the Stay Puft. But considering the game will be for me and my 6 year old I thought better to spend $141 on a game she might not even play. And looking back now I'm glad I did. The only thing of value for $45 more is the extra ghost, 4 tiles, and Stay Puft. I'm not paying $45 more for two figures and four more tiles. They have the $5 tiles that you get for free on top of everything else right now but thats it. If the Mass Hysteria level gets more free stuff added on to make it worth it then I will get that level. But as of right now it is not worth it.

Even missing out on the Stay Puft isn't that big of a deal because I'm sure someone will put his impossible mode character card online and you can just use the normal figure that comes with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gong
United States
Kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KG79 wrote:

Lots of backers chase the carrots. It's their money, so cool for them. For myself, I just want the game. If the project wants to give me more stuff for my tier, I'm fine with that too. (It's what happened with Rise of the Kage and Space Cadets Away Mission -- can't wait for both!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, the Shandor tiles are included in the Mass Hysteria level but not the Paranormal level. They're also available as a $5.00 addon.

Soooo . . . if you've got that tile set for $5.00, and the other MH tile set, which we'll price at $5.00 (even though it's not available as an addon), that's leaving $35.00 for the ghost, Stay Puft, and the dice.

Typically, you see sets of dice going for $5.00 to $10.00 in campaigns like these.

An addon like the ghost would probably be $10.00 (check out the recent Conan campaign for comparable addons).

And Stay Puft, if he's as big as they claim, could be anywhere from $15.00 to (going to Conan again -- check out the dragon) $33.00. Or more.

Also, what are "Additional Episodes"? Scenarios exclusive to the MH pledge? I just noticed that for the first time.

I don't give a crap about the art print. Never do.

Still:

Two map sets -- $10.00

Ghost -- $10.00

Dice -- $5.00 to $10.00

Stay Puft -- $15.00 to 33.00

Even doing things on the low side I'm coming in around $40.00 for the MH exclusives. Which isn't . . . terrible. Using the higher numbers and we're over sixty bucks.

It's even easier to swallow when one was fortunate enough to snag an Early Bird -- making the difference between pledge levels more like $35.00.

I'm not saying it's good or bad or whatever; just that, when one applies typical Kickstarter pricing, it sort of works out. Be nice if they tossed in some extra stuff to help folks justify that higher pledge, but it's not *awful* by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, since no one has replied, I'll just add: it would have been nice if, instead of an ad don, perhaps the "little bit of everything" set of red minis was part of the MH pledge level. I used Conan as an example, but the base "big" pledge did come with a pile of extras before they started in on stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent comment, the creators confirmed that they will be adding something to the Mass Hysteria pledge to increase the value.

I have no clue what it might be, but even if it's something small, it would make me feel better about that tier. I am hoping for something like an additional mini or a few extra tiles ideally. If they added even two more tiles, the MH box would have double the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy T

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Right now, the Shandor tiles are included in the Mass Hysteria level but not the Paranormal level. They're also available as a $5.00 addon.

Soooo . . . if you've got that tile set for $5.00, and the other MH tile set, which we'll price at $5.00 (even though it's not available as an addon), that's leaving $35.00 for the ghost, Stay Puft, and the dice.

Typically, you see sets of dice going for $5.00 to $10.00 in campaigns like these.

An addon like the ghost would probably be $10.00 (check out the recent Conan campaign for comparable addons).

And Stay Puft, if he's as big as they claim, could be anywhere from $15.00 to (going to Conan again -- check out the dragon) $33.00. Or more.

Also, what are "Additional Episodes"? Scenarios exclusive to the MH pledge? I just noticed that for the first time.

I don't give a crap about the art print. Never do.

Still:

Two map sets -- $10.00

Ghost -- $10.00

Dice -- $5.00 to $10.00

Stay Puft -- $15.00 to 33.00

Even doing things on the low side I'm coming in around $40.00 for the MH exclusives. Which isn't . . . terrible. Using the higher numbers and we're over sixty bucks.

It's even easier to swallow when one was fortunate enough to snag an Early Bird -- making the difference between pledge levels more like $35.00.

I'm not saying it's good or bad or whatever; just that, when one applies typical Kickstarter pricing, it sort of works out. Be nice if they tossed in some extra stuff to help folks justify that higher pledge, but it's not *awful* by comparison.

But look at what they are charging for their add ons. Impossible mode Slimer and Idulnas are $12. So it's more like Sandman is worth $6. Stay Puft is about double in size of the biggest mini so double the price of their most expensive ones you're looking at him being worth around $12. Way I see it your looking at about a $28 value plus what you think the dice are worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
JDub586 wrote:

But look at what they are charging for their add ons. Impossible mode Slimer and Idulnas are $12. So it's more like Sandman is worth $6. Stay Puft is about double in size of the biggest mini so double the price of their most expensive ones you're looking at him being worth around $12. Way I see it your looking at about a $28 value plus what you think the dice are worth.

Worth remembering that impossible figures are just recoloured models from the base game, while the expansion figures have to roll up the cost of sculpting and tooling in the price.

However, even at the low-end prices, you get:

2 x tile sets ($10)
Sandman ($6)
Stay Puft ($12)
Dice ($5)

That's $33; then you have to add the price of extra scenarios, the picture, the special box, and whatever else they add at that pledge level. I am pretty sure people would expect to pay $10 for a 12x12 Giclee print, wouldn't they? (I genuinely don't know, as I have never purchased one.)

For a game this light I wouldn't want to pay that much money, but I don't think their pricing is completely off the mark, it just isn't the bargain of the century.

But again, everyone has their own idea of value. I personally don't think it is that surprising to see so many people diving in at the MH level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I've backed at the MH level, I still don't see the value in it right now. For me, the only benefits are the Hotel tiles, and the Sandman. All the other stuff (IM staypuft, dice, print, episodes) isn't as valuable.

They've said they'll make all the scenarios available online once the KS is done so you aren't really losing out on those.

If they made the Hotel tiles and/or Sandman as add-ons you'd get tons of backers dropping their pledges, so they can't really do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KG79
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
While I've backed at the MH level, I still don't see the value in it right now. For me, the only benefits are the Hotel tiles, and the Sandman. All the other stuff (IM staypuft, dice, print, episodes) isn't as valuable.

They've said they'll make all the scenarios available online once the KS is done so you aren't really losing out on those.

If they made the Hotel tiles and/or Sandman as add-ons you'd get tons of backers dropping their pledges, so they can't really do that.

Yeah, the hotel tiles are the only item in the MH pledge that I really want. There's enough boss figures in the Paranormal pledge + stretch goals for me so I'm only backing at the Paranormal level for now.

They did say they would be adding value to the MH pledge so I'll wait and see exactly how they do that before I decide on a final pledge level. I wish they would share more information during the campaign. They seem to only want to talk about some Yeti named Phineas and not so much about gameplay or upcoming stretch goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KG79 wrote:

They did say they would be adding value to the MH pledge so I'll wait and see exactly how they do that before I decide on a final pledge level. I wish they would share more information during the campaign. They seem to only want to talk about some Yeti named Phineas and not so much about gameplay or upcoming stretch goals.

I think CZE are doing a pretty good job of answering the questions they can through the comments and updates. They have chosen not to reveal more than one SG at a time, and while I might not agree with it, I can't fault them for doing it that way. I don't know what other information you are looking for, but you could try sending them a message on KS, they are very good about getting back to people.

As for Phineas, that is just a joke that started in the comments and refuses to go away, you don't need to pay attention to that stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KG79
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
KG79 wrote:

I think CZE are doing a pretty good job of answering the questions they can through the comments and updates. They have chosen not to reveal more than one SG at a time, and while I might not agree with it, I can't fault them for doing it that way. I don't know what other information you are looking for, but you could try sending them a message on KS, they are very good about getting back to people.

As for Phineas, that is just a joke that started in the comments and refuses to go away, you don't need to pay attention to that stuff.

You're right. I'm probably not giving them enough credit for their communication. They are very active in the comments section and are answering the questions that they can. I guess I'm just more focused on what they can't or haven't answered so far.

For gameplay, a lot of people have asked if there are more advanced mechanics in the game outside of what was shared in the rules primer and the basic gameplay video that was posted. They've claimed there are different goals for different scenarios and that what has been shared so far is the just the beginning. However, they haven't actually articulated what the other more advanced gameplay elements are. I'm not sure why they can't share more information in that regard.

I did reach out to them through a KS message when I was initially deciding which level to pledge. I asked if they would be able to offer the Sedgewick Hotel tiles as a paid add on similar to the Shandor Building tiles, which they said they couldn't as they are trying to protect the value of the MH pledge. Fair enough, but I still don't think there is $45 worth of additional value in the MH pledge as it stands right now. They've said they are going to be increasing the value of the MH pledge when all is said and done but again, they haven't shared how they are planning on doing that so we've got nothing to go on other than their vague statements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe they posted that there will be another video up some time today (Monday the 23rd) that will hopefully show more mechanics. I think on the 1st video they said they filmed a whole 4 scenario campaign.

I'm not surprised that they won't release the Hotel tiles and/or Sandman as standalone add-ons since you'd probably see a pretty steep drop in pledges with a bunch of backers droping down the the $80 level and just adding the tiles and a few bosses back in.

Their campaign has been decent in terms of getting back to people re questions, but since they won't show even the next SG after the current one, and they didn't have any real videos up for a good week, they've been hurt a little.

I do think you'll get a lot of last 2 day folks jumping in, so hopefully a bunch of goals trip during that time.

Right now they are about at the limit for more bosses before they start adding more tiles, scenarios, other low-level ghost classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KG79 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
KG79 wrote:

You're right. I'm probably not giving them enough credit for their communication. They are very active in the comments section and are answering the questions that they can. I guess I'm just more focused on what they can't or haven't answered so far.

For gameplay, a lot of people have asked if there are more advanced mechanics in the game outside of what was shared in the rules primer and the basic gameplay video that was posted. They've claimed there are different goals for different scenarios and that what has been shared so far is the just the beginning. However, they haven't actually articulated what the other more advanced gameplay elements are. I'm not sure why they can't share more information in that regard.

I did reach out to them through a KS message when I was initially deciding which level to pledge. I asked if they would be able to offer the Sedgewick Hotel tiles as a paid add on similar to the Shandor Building tiles, which they said they couldn't as they are trying to protect the value of the MH pledge. Fair enough, but I still don't think there is $45 worth of additional value in the MH pledge as it stands right now. They've said they are going to be increasing the value of the MH pledge when all is said and done but again, they haven't shared how they are planning on doing that so we've got nothing to go on other than their vague statements.

I am guessing that the additional MH stuff will be an upcoming stretch goal, which is why they haven't shared what it is. I could be wrong though.

As for the hotel tiles, I can't blame them, since selling them seperately would probably cause a lot of people to downgrade their pledge and cost them money.

Hopefully they give us something good to really make it worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.