Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Verduzco
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm really hyped by this game, I know that is almost sold out and because the shipping cost to my country (still don't know why Mexico is the rest of the wordl) this game is almost unaffordable.

Now searching for another game, I found that I can order a copy from Spain in my native language but, it is also kind of expensive... So I decided to write this post because I really need some advice in acquiring this game.

My main problem in deciding is that I almost play all the time with my GF, I have a group of friends that are into this gaming world but I barely see them... So... I have a few questions that, if you are kind to answer, you'll help me a lot

a) Is this game is a must have for a 2 player experience?
b) Is this game a must thumbsup have If I have the Game Collector syndrome?
c) Is this a good investment bag If I pretend to play with my children in a future?
d) IS this a game that I can have in my collection and admire how good are the components? corn zombie
e) Is this game expandable? (Campaign editor, etc...) NE

Thanks in advance!

Any advice is going to be amazing.

Pardon any grammar mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Be honest... or not!
A) In my personal opinion, while there are varients to play two player (some with and some without the betrayer). It's not worth it for only two. It's almost not worth it for my group to play three player. 4+ is the way to go.

B) Depends on how severe your syndrome is.

C) If you can find enough people, be they older future children, the game is worth it.

D) The components are not great, but not really bad either. Pretty standard cardboard and dice.

E) It will be expandable eventually. There is an expansion coming as well as a companion app. Details are scarce on both of those though. On Plaidhat's website they also have a CrossRoads card editor, so you can make your own cross roads cards as well as download ones made by others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope these help:

I don't think it's a must have to play with two players unless you play the Prisoner version of the 2 x Player official variant.

Replayability is very high, so a good investment? Yes.

The components are of a very high standard

No expansions - yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game doesn't work well with 2 people... I tried it a 2 player game and really didn't dig it. It works well with 4 or 5 players and the people you're playing with have to be really into it else it's going to fall flat.

The game is expensive too... I paid about $80 for the game (with shipping costs and taxes etc...). It's worth it if you can get a good group to play it several times though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akroatis wrote:
Hi! I'm really hyped by this game, I know that is almost sold out and because the shipping cost to my country (still don't know why Mexico is the rest of the wordl) this game is almost unaffordable.

Now searching for another game, I found that I can order a copy from Spain in my native language but, it is also kind of expensive... So I decided to write this post because I really need some advice in acquiring this game.

My main problem in deciding is that I almost play all the time with my GF, I have a group of friends that are into this gaming world but I barely see them... So... I have a few questions that, if you are kind to answer, you'll help me a lot

a) Is this game is a must have for a 2 player experience? Absolutely NOT!
b) Is this game a must thumbsup have If I have the Game Collector syndrome? I guess? Maybe. It is a highly rated game, but it seems silly to have it just to have it and barely play it.
c) Is this a good investment bag If I pretend to play with my children in a future? I would say no. Maaaaybe when they are teens.
d) IS this a game that I can have in my collection and admire how good are the components? corn zombie Not to me personally. No minis, just all cardboard. Decent art. Go to an art gallery and buy a painting.
e) Is this game expandable? (Campaign editor, etc...) NEKind of, I guess you could make your own scenarios. i wouldn't.

Thanks in advance!

Any advice is going to be amazing.

Pardon any grammar mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Verduzco
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your quick and honest responses, will save the money then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my answers may be similar to the previous poster: koenigcitizen

Quote:
a) Is this game is a must have for a 2 player experience?

-- No. I would never play this 2 player myself. In my opinion it requires 4.

Quote:
b) Is this game a must thumbsup have If I have the Game Collector syndrome?

-- I guess so as it's quite high in the hotness world, but personally I don't think any game is worth getting for that reason alone.

Quote:
c) Is this a good investment bag If I pretend to play with my children in a future?

-- In my opinion no. I'm assuming you don't have children yet so this will be at least 10+ years from now and making an assumption that a) your kid(s) will like boardgames, b) your kid(s) will like this type of boardgame, c) that you think Dead of Winter stood the test of time and would like to play it with them.

Quote:
d) IS this a game that I can have in my collection and admire how good are the components? corn zombie

-- Not so much. It has a unique look and above average components, but it's really not a game I'd list in this category.

Quote:
e) Is this game expandable? (Campaign editor, etc...) NE

-- Not yet, but they have suggested an expansion is coming but there isn't one to date. In my opinion, there's a ton of game in this box and it feels quite complete to me. I'd personally rather see the game system mature and expand into different themes. Dead of Winter by itself is a solid and complete package.

You didn't ask the question: is it fun to play? In my opinion yes. I suggest checking out some of the outstanding videos including a new Tabletop one, plus an outstanding Watch it Played series, and more. The video coverage for this game is phenomenal and that tends to be a good sign that the game appeals to many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitrios Alexis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) I've played 2-player variant and, contrary to other opinions, found it quite interesting. There are rules for different types of game play in the back of the rule book.

b) If you have the Game Collector syndrome, then every game that is hyped is a must-have, isn't it?

c) It's a good investment.

d) Components are a 7.5/10. The artwork is really well done, and the cards/standees/board use good quality materials. The location boards are a thin bristol board materials—maybe not the best; they could have used a heavier card stock, but it may have compromised the fit within the box. Tokens are typical token quality that you would find in games like Elder Sign.

e) No expansion. Rumours are flying around though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
dimitriosalexis wrote:
e) No expansion. Rumours are flying around though.

In fairness, it's not just rumours - the designer has stated that it's in development and has even posted photographs of some of the demo components.

So expansions are definitely happening - it's just a case of when. I'm not sure what the latest estimate was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game works well for 3 in my experience.

I wouldn't play with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.