Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: Now on Pre Order on the MMP Website
The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold" is the first volume in a three volume series covering the battle of Normandy in June of 1944. It not only introduces a new theater but also provides version 2.0 updates for the GTS rules. Assaults have been streamlined, the artillery rules have been improved, and various other changes have been made to make this version of GTS an even better gaming experience.

Game Contents:

Grand Tactical Series Rulebook 1.1
"The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold" Exclusive Rulebook
Scenario Book with 18 scenarios
A Summary Rulebook for easy reference
Sixteen Countersheets (5/8ths inch counters)
Four 22" x 34" full color maps (three of them back-printed for scenarios)
Four 8.5" x 11" map extensions
Three 8.5" x 11" Landing Beach overlays
Fifteen Player Aid Cards
A Turn Record and Weather Chart
Two Combat Results Tables
Two Terrain Effects Tables
Four ten-sided dice
The 18 scenarios are:

Learning Scenario (on one 8.5" x 11" mini-map with a playing time of about an hour):

"The Black Baron" covering the first hour of the German attack on the 7th Armoured Division at Villers-Bocage
Introductory Scenarios (all on one map or less with playing times of less than 5 hours):

"Storming Gold": the first few hours of the assault on Gold Beach
"Storming Juno": the first few hours of the assault on Juno Beach
"Storming Sword": the first few hours of the assault on Sword Beach
"To the Sea": the 21st Pz Division’s late afternoon attack on June 6
"Day of the Tiger": the German counter-attack at Villers-Bocage on June 13
"On to Bayeux": the Pz Lehr’s major attack on the 50th infantry Division on June 9
Intermediate Scenarios (all on one full-sized map with playing times of 6-20 hours)

"Day of Days": the first day of the 6th Airborne’s drop into Normandy
"The Race for Caen": the first day from Sword Beach to Caen
"The Saga of the 6th Airborne": the first several days of the 6th Airborne’s drop into Normandy
"O Canada": the first few two days of the Canadian assault at Juno Beach and beyond
"The Bloody Battle of Tilly": the struggle for the Tilly line from June 11 to June 12
"Nemesis": Canadians and the 12th SS Division in a bitter fight from June 6 to June 9
Advanced Scenarios (on multiple maps with playing times of 40-100 hours)

"The Right Hook": from the landing at Gold Beach to the battle of Villers-Bocage – the action on the right flank of the Allies
"The Initial Plan": from the landing of the 6th Airborne in the Orne Bridgehead to the outskirts of Caen on June 9th
"Operation Perch": the attempt to flank the German position at Caen
Campaign Scenarios (all the maps; playing time of 20-150 hours)

"One Great Day": the campaign game but only on the first day – but it was quite a day
"The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches": from the parachute landings on the morning of June 6th to the evening of June 13th – the entire game
Preorder Date: 19 February, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's already more than halfway there! This one should be no problem.

It's great to see all the scenarios this baby is going to have.

Cheers,
Jason
Wargame Depot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kypros wrote:
And it's already more than halfway there! This one should be no problem.

It's great to see all the scenarios this baby is going to have.

Cheers,
Jason
Wargame Depot

Yes, well over halfway now. I normally wait until release rather than pre-order due to shipping and custom charges but in this case I've made an exception. Hopefully we'll see it before the end of the year.

Cheers

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll start my career in this series with this next game. I already have an Arnhem game, so I may as well start with something I don't have (I have Normandy and Omaha Beach games, but none which specializes on the british/canadian sector). Just a few questions:

How is the counter density in the series? Other company level games I've played are D-Day at Omaha Beach and Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939. How is the scale and counter density compared to those?

Is it fiddly (like I've heard OCS is), or does it flow quickly?

Are there any hindrances to solo play, like hidden information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
I think I'll start my career in this series with this next game. I already have an Arnhem game, so I may as well start with something I don't have (I have Normandy and Omaha Beach games, but none which specializes on the british/canadian sector). Just a few questions:

How is the counter density in the series? Other company level games I've played are D-Day at Omaha Beach and Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939. How is the scale and counter density compared to those?

I haven't played either of those games. Most of the situations in the previous games in this series have been low to medium counter density, depending heavily on the scenario and the expansiveness of the maps. Some of the city fighting in TDC was a bit on the counter-dense side.

Quote:
Is it fiddly (like I've heard OCS is), or does it flow quickly?

These games flow quite well, and I'd call the fiddliness on the low to medium side. I think that's why you find groups playing combined TDC/WED campaign games to completion.

Quote:
Are there any hindrances to solo play, like hidden information?

Not really. Some events are random and therefore unknown to either player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few hidden things in the game but given the chaotic nature of the activation mechanism, I think it plays quite well solo.

The main "fiddliness" of the system is the assault sub-routine in the early games. That is fairly cumbersome and improving it was a main objective with the newer GTS games. You'll be bypassing that with the new game as I've streamlined it substantially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the response, both of you. I think I will get this game. Always nice to see the designers are active on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
mb
I just pre-ordered The Greatest Day.I have not played any games in this system, but it looks promising. I like tactical level games and I like monster games/scenarios, so I am hoping this will scratch both itches.

I know its a long way off but is there any plans for a Pacific GTS Game?

Take care,
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pacific you say? Hmmm...why yes, something is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
mb
That sound good. In the e meantime I am looking forward to The Greatest Day. I have download the rules and I am reading them through. I will probably buy NQoS to learn the system.

Have a great day,
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
There are a few hidden things in the game but given the chaotic nature of the activation mechanism, I think it plays quite well solo.

The main "fiddliness" of the system is the assault sub-routine in the early games. That is fairly cumbersome and improving it was a main objective with the newer GTS games. You'll be bypassing that with the new game as I've streamlined it substantially.

Hi Adam,

Do you have a variant to be used on the Devil that simplifies the process?

Andre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tested and created GTS 2.0 with TDC so it works fine.

MMP decided to not use it for the reprint - and the counters need their values changed to be used in TDC (for the assault rules as well as other new things).

So at least for the time being, you can't use the new assault rules with TDC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
I tested and created GTS 2.0 with TDC so it works fine.

MMP decided to not use it for the reprint - and the counters need their values changed to be used in TDC (for the assault rules as well as other new things).

So at least for the time being, you can't use the new assault rules with TDC.

Got it. Thanks!
It is a great design just the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are the rules available for download on the MMP site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.