Subject: People interrupting your games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Yohe
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I like to play at local shops with a friend of mine. We usually pick from the large demo racks and try stuff. But more than once someone has come up to us and just started talking. Usually about board games, but not always. I once was held hostage by a 19-year-old kid who wouldn't stop talking about an MMO called "Aion." I know some of the people that frequent game stores aren't social butterflies, and some are awkward, and some are trying to make friends in the only place they can relate to others. I get all of that but...I don't know. We just hate it. We really hate being interrupted. A few nights ago a woman just straight up sat at our table and started talking about her favorite books on board games. We were courteous and cordial, while inwardly seething and wishing it would end. It's worth noting that this shop has little orange cones that you put on the table if you're looking for more people. We did not have one on our table.

I guess the alternative is to buy the games (don't get me wrong, I do own some games myself) and play in my living room, but we like being out of our apartments. One of these places is a board game cafe, and we enjoy getting some tea and sitting at nice big tables and playing a game. NOT on a couch hunched over a too-small coffee table with my cat jumping on the board. Plus, neither of us is in a position to buy tons and tons of games. These demo racks are perfect for us.

I brought up to my friend after our last incident that maybe we're the problem. Maybe we're antisocial monsters. I don't know. I would never think of ruining someone's game like that. A quick interaction isn't bad at all but we're talking about people who inject themselves directly into your board gaming time.

It's really easy to just say "Tell them nicely to go away" but we all know that nobody does that. I certainly don't. I don't think I have it in me to be mean like that. I might have to start, though. So how do you feel when you're playing a game in public and people just start talking to you for extended periods of time? Does it happen to others? How (if at all) do you deal with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sorry, we're trying to focus. Would you care to learn the rules and join us?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a plaque:

Game in progress,
please respect the people playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
"Sorry, we're trying to focus. Would you care to learn the rules and join us?"

Not a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Wijns
Belgium
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this can comfort you a bit: most people I know (including myself) think and act the same way as you. During boardgames, while fishing, etc...
Another continent, same problems. Guess it's a small world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superfierostatus wrote:
It's really easy to just say "Tell them nicely to go away" but we all know that nobody does that. I certainly don't. I don't think I have it in me to be mean like that.

If you think of it as "being mean", you definitely won't be able to do it kindly. You're actually just setting a boundary. You're allowed to do that.

Ideas:

- "I'm sorry, I can't do two things at once. I'm going to go back to focusing on the game. Nice to meet you!"

- "We were enjoying playing just the two of us. Could I ask for some space?"

- "So, you interrupted us in mid-game-- can I ask whether there was something in particular you needed?"

- "Hey, so, I am not looking for a new MMO. Somebody else might be a better audience."

- "Please let us play our game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I dwell in my basement.

Pete (also thinks fresh air might be hazardous to his health)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Pete just invited you to use his basement.

But seriously, these are all good tips. Asking nicely isn't mean, and if taken that way by them, it's not your fault.

I actually like the idea of inviting them too. Unfortunately, since you're using their space you may have to deal with issues like this. But these are great ideas and hopefully you find one that clicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only have to lick someone once and they'll avoid you forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Rule #2: Double-lick (just in case)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: Take it as a back-handed compliment. You looked like friendly folks that wouldn't mind a chat in the middle of a game.

Now if scruffy ol' me were at your table playing, she woulda dropped in on someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In almost every episode of Seinfeld, you can find a point where someone (usually either Jerry or Elaine) could avoid a ton of trouble by displaying a little intestinal fortitude and being direct. And, of course, they never do, hence the humor of the show.

For example: "Oh, by the way, you never told me your name when you started making out with me in the supermarket. What's your name?"

So don't be Seinfeldian; instead, be direct. The person interrupting you is being rude; you don't have to sit there and listen to them. It's OK to tell them (politely, of course) that you're busy and you'd like some space.

Quote:
It's really easy to just say "Tell them nicely to go away" but we all know that nobody does that.

So be the first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a public space, where social interaction is a risk you'll have to take - go somewhere remote and unpopulated if it offends you so. Chances are, if you're not spending much money, they've been sent by management to try and encourage you to actually buy the game and take it home already laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
stop using deodorant.. or eat more beans!!

If you want to be totally non-confrontational, just ignore them.

or you could try to put a positive spin on it, and say "wow!! I'd love to chat about with you more, how about you stop back in a couple of hours when I'm finished my game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
superfierostatus wrote:

It's really easy to just say "Tell them nicely to go away" but we all know that nobody does that. I certainly don't. I don't think I have it in me to be mean like that.

If a completely random person I didn't know just sat down at a table where me and my friends were playing a game, I absolutely would tell them to go away. Politely, of course. It's not mean as long as you say please.

superfierostatus wrote:

So how do you feel when you're playing a game in public and people just start talking to you for extended periods of time? Does it happen to others? How (if at all) do you deal with it?

I've never had a complete stranger sit down at our table mid-game and start chatting. I've had friends do it, but they usually know enough to not talk the entire time while we're playing.

There was one guy I knew who always talked while playing the game we had sat down (together) to play, though. Frequently when he was supposed to be taking his turn. I just kept politely reminding him to take his turn instead of responding to the rambling commentary. That gaming group wrapped up recently, so the problem resolved itself before I had to take more drastic action, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate getting interrupted mid game. Thankfully I send out a "Do not talk to me and get the BEEP away from me" vibe to strangers and even friends in some cases when I am focused on a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could learn to fart on command...

Pete (has been trying for decades but just can't manage it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
You could learn to fart on command...

Pete (has been trying for decades but just can't manage it)

This must be a terrible, yet tried and true, solution.

Jim (assumes Pete has a friend named "Command")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
It's a public space, where social interaction is a risk you'll have to take - go somewhere remote and unpopulated if it offends you so.

Pretty much this. Maybe this is why I am afraid to go game at public places so I game at home. Board game meetups doesn't really fit into the OP's situation.

You probably should just tell them to leave you alone or just ignore them. They will get the message.

If you take the high road, why not try to "evangelize" our hobby and try to get them into the hobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Make a plaque:

Game in progress,
please respect the people playing.

Or just "Beware: rude gamers in progress"

Our game base is my friend's share house, so there are often housemates who come in and chat about unrelated things. That's just life, man. It hardly ever happened when I played at the game store. People just weren't that friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Yohe
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I'M the rude one? They're the rude ones. If you've never been subjected to this than maybe it's not your place to say.

Also, housemates =\= random strangers seemingly with Aspergers Syndrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

With the OP's seeming bad luck these people would like it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I hate getting interrupted mid game. Thankfully I send out a "Do not talk to me and get the BEEP away from me" vibe to strangers and even friends in some cases when I am focused on a game.

Do you give seminars ? That sounds like a really useful skill to learn !

I have more trouble with some of my friend-opponents talking to me during my turn. Sometimes I've been tempted to obviously show that I am no longer thinking one bit about the game and focus 100% on what they are saying - maybe they would get the hint.

I have had what the OP described happen a few times though and also asked "maybe I'm the odd one as most people seem to enjoy social interaction" But then I decided nah, I'm right in being annoyed !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had that happen infrequently. There are a couplel ways I personally handle it:

1. Just ignore him completely. I don't respond. I don't face him. Basically, I don't acknowledge the perp is even there. usually they get the message with that cold shoulder stance.

2. I indirectly let the perp know that he is distracting by telling my fellow gamers out loud that we need to focus to finish this game either due to time constraint or to move onto a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Yohe
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
MajaiofDreams wrote:

This is what I try sometimes, but dude these people just don't get it. I think the core issue is that board game stores attract a higher than normal population of socially awkward and inexperienced people. Higher chance of them being unable to read body language or understand a tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.