Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned this variant from the friends who taught me the game - was rather surprised to find out that it doesn't belong to the original rules:
When you can play exactly the same number as the player before you played, playing order is reversed. It is as simple as that - but a lot more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we always do this too - makes it much more exciting, and a lot worse for the person second in line for playing after the reversal (as it were) who usually has to cope with a massive increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
I think there needs to be a way to reverse direction. We tried the matching number variation and had mixed oppinions whether it was good or not.

The next time I play, I'm going to try another "reverse" variation. When buckets fall, order reverses. This allows a player to "get revenge" against the previous player who made their buckets fall. It also adds some strategy, at a cost, to volutarily reverse order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the "match the bid" variant was official. It's the way we've always played. It's also the way BSW plays (not that that means it's official...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
freduk wrote:
I thought the "match the bid" variant was official. It's the way we've always played. It's also the way BSW plays (not that that means it's official...).

I personally hope it's NOT official. We tried "match the bid" last Tuesday night, but it was more annoying than enjoyable. We all felt the need to have a way to reverse, we just couldn't think of a better way to do it at the time.

With my variant proposal, I look at it this way: When you chop down a tree, there's a good chance it could fall your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what's so annoying about it. If the active play isn't coming close to you with all the bouncing, then your buckets are safe. If you make a big play and it's bounced back, then that's part of the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yeah, but if you make a big play, in my variant, it WILL reverse back to you, unless that opponent can somehow make a bigger play.

For our game, it was the ability to reverse a small play that really annoyed us (ie, someone reverses with a mere 3 card). In such a case, you're getting TWO effects for a ridiculously low cost: 1) you're able to save a bigger card for later use, and 2) you're reversing order. IMO, that's way too big of a benefit for too little of a cost.

Reversing should come at a decent cost. In your variant, maybe if you played 2 or more cards and matched, that might be a reasonable cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:

It's an option at BSW. It's an option almost everyone enables, but it's an option all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
I learned this variant from the friends who taught me the game - was rather surprised to find out that it doesn't belong to the original rules:

It is an official variant listed at the end of the german rules (Kosmos edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
HilkMAN wrote:

It is an official variant listed at the end of the german rules (Kosmos edition)

Kosmos originally released the game in the same size box as Rio Grande (long thin box). It was re-printed a few years later in their square box format.

I believe that this variant was not listed in the original Kosmos, or the Rio Grande version, which used the original Kosmos as a translation source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
"Official Variant" means the following: 1) The original game mechanics need tweaking, 2) the original games needs to be spiced up after a few plays, or 3) both.

Rather than an "official variant," I think an expansion for Bucket King would be better. Add cards like those in Knizia's Escalation where you can "pass", as well as wild cards and reversing cards (like UNO). That way, you keep the core game "pure."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveP wrote:
The next time I play, I'm going to try another "reverse" variation. When buckets fall, order reverses. This allows a player to "get revenge" against the previous player who made their buckets fall. It also adds some strategy, at a cost, to volutarily reverse order.

Actually at least in my RGG long box edition (T.Nr. 2842328) the setence right above the "Tips for playing the game" section it says....

"As a variant, players may allow the starting player for each round to choose to attack clockwise or counterclockwise, setting the order for that round"

so technically it's already an official variant (except the rules allow the player the choice which is more strategic then simply forcing a reverse direction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.