Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Interested by what the enthusiasts of this game have to say.

For those who have played warhammer 40k, is it anything like that game?

I used to play a lot of 40K, but quit because I mainly play games with my friends, and it is hard to get a friend into a hobby when they have to buy hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of models to get started. Not including their own rule book.

I've since given up war games, and gone to mainly strategy board games (non miniature style).

So now that you know that background, how does it relate to something like 40K?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Skirmish yet, but in a way I could see it relate to WH40k. You have a set number of points to build your "army", have to include a set number of Command Cards (15, I think) whose total point cost has also been set.

The units do not move as freely as in tabletop, but in squares and can move diagonally.

The combat differs most, instead of having to roll multiple dice for your units (like a Blood Angels squad firing 2 shots each at an enemy squad = 20 dice) you activate one of your figures at a time and perform two actions. Attacks are resolved using the weapons' own dice, and for ranged attacks you need to have enough accuracy in your roll (and character/weapon abilities) to reach the target, or the shot is an auto-miss.

I would not consider them too much alike, but I personally like them both. SWIA is easier to break out and play than say a 1,500 point battle in WH40k.

Take a look at the Play-by-Forum Campaigns, so you see how the mechanics work.
Campaign 1 - Currently in their second mission
Campaign 2 - Just started their first mission

I really like the story-driven campaign play.

- Kez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more like Space Hulk than like WH40k.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks guys.

I guess at the very least it has some of the same initial setup strategy and that is the type of thing I am really looking for.

Thanks for providing the Campaign links. It does look like a ton of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haines
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Myself and two of my friends come from a W40K background and have easily found this one of the best games we have ever played! There is strategy in this game and it constantly has to be adjusted due to the alternate activations (one rebel figure activates then one Imp Figure/Group activates), with the surprises the Imp player can spring, as the rebel player, you are always trying to figure out the best way to achieve your goal.
If you have ever played Space Hulk it's similar but there is more personalisation for the players and more uncertainty when in a mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Deffly wrote:
Myself and two of my friends come from a W40K background and have easily found this one of the best games we have ever played! There is strategy in this game and it constantly has to be adjusted due to the alternate activations (one rebel figure activates then one Imp Figure/Group activates), with the surprises the Imp player can spring, as the rebel player, you are always trying to figure out the best way to achieve your goal.
If you have ever played Space Hulk it's similar but there is more personalisation for the players and more uncertainty when in a mission.

Are you guys referencing Space Hulk Death Angel, the Card Game?

I have it and I love it! I think Imperial Assault has definitely made my buy list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the reference is to the actual Space Hulk.
I have a copy of all three editions, and the PC version:
1st edition
2nd Edition
3rd Edition
ok, apparently there is a fourth edition, as well. But I think I'll skip that one. Doesn't seem all that different from third.

My initial though when I saw Imperial Assault was "Oh great, now they decided to milk the Space Hulk mechanics in another universe, no thanks." My friend bought the game, so I started taking a closer look at it here, watching the review videos etc and noticed that the mechanics are very different from Space Hulk and started to get interested. Bought my own copy a day before I had the time to start playing with my friend (and his daughter and son). Now that's back on leave from Afghanistan, we could crump a mission or two in their campaign... I've gained a lot of experience since, so they will have hard time.

- Kez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haines
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not Bored Games wrote:
Deffly wrote:

Are you guys referencing Space Hulk Death Angel, the Card Game?

I have it and I love it! I think Imperial Assault has definitely made my buy list.

No, not the card game, this: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Space-Hulk / http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/165838/space-hulk-fourth-...
It is a very tense and stressful game to play but captures the essence of W40K perfectly.

Kezerk wrote:
No, the reference is to the actual Space Hulk.
I have a copy of all three editions, and the PC version:
1st edition
2nd Edition
3rd Edition
ok, apparently there is a fourth edition, as well. But I think I'll skip that one. Doesn't seem all that different from third.

My initial though when I saw Imperial Assault was "Oh great, now they decided to milk the Space Hulk mechanics in another universe, no thanks." My friend bought the game, so I started taking a closer look at it here, watching the review videos etc and noticed that the mechanics are very different from Space Hulk and started to get interested. Bought my own copy a day before I had the time to start playing with my friend (and his daughter and son). Now that's back on leave from Afghanistan, we could crump a mission or two in their campaign... I've gained a lot of experience since, so they will have hard time.

- Kez.

The only real difference between third ED and fourth is 4 extra missions and four extra board pieces. The missions were supplemental releases back in second ED I believe so they are not new new but recycled into the one book for a coherent storyline. Additionally they swapped the heavy weapon termie teams as they were in the wrong group fluff wise in the last ED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.