Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

Ok, I see this has been discussion in other threads but I wanted to make sure I understand the official rule: Can you withdraw to a random hex only in pre-combat or at any time before the start of any round of combat? Reading previous threads on this i'm not sure of the answer.

Regardless I'm finding now that I have played the game a few times, for my games I really like only allowing a random hex withdrawal only before the creature is engaged. I imagine that because the battle has not began there is time to run away. Once it starts though, only a withdrawing to a specific hex with a required luck roll is required. The creature may have you trapped.

I'm a stickler for understanding the official rules of a game but once I get them down I also love to house rule and use my imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

An avatar may immediately and fully withdraw from combat to a randomly
determined adjacent, non-water terrain hex as a non-combat action. The avatar simply leaves combat that phase and cannot be attacked. To withdraw to a specific terrain hex, an avatar must spend 1 combat phase defending as it withdraws and make a LR against its opponent's power. If the LR is not successful, the avatar cannot disengage from combat that phase. Avatars must withdraw individually and cannot withdraw as bands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Withdrawing is part of the avatars choosing their action each combat phase before the creature targets one of them -- drink a potion, read a book or scroll, fight, withdraw, etc. I like to think of withdrawing to a random terrain hex as "Run away! Run away!" (Yeah, I'm a Monty Python geek!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is the greatest. I watched that not long ago and it holds up, funny! Now all we have to do is design a Monty Python and the Holy Grail Co-Op fantasy game. Of course securing the rights might be pricey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bobm174 wrote:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is the greatest. I watched that not long ago and it holds up, funny! Now all we have to do is design a Monty Python and the Holy Grail Co-Op fantasy game. Of course securing the rights might be pricey.

I tried to hit the "thumbs up" twenty times for this post! Alas, only one registered... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine the horror when the Creature Generator comes up with that horrible Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite quote:"Look at the bones!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I can just see now the Black Knight character who wonders around with no life points remaining saying "It's only a flesh wound"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wagner
United States
Cleveland Hts.,
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the rules: "An avatar may immediately and fully withdraw from combat to a randomly determined adjacent, non-water terrain hex as a non-combat action. The avatar simply leaves combat that phase and cannot be attacked."

What about when your band has hired ships to fight a combat (provoked, lair, Shadow, Xulthul) on the water?

We had been playing it that in those cases water was an acceptable hex to retreat to (your boat was cast about), but if you randomly rolled some terrain type of land, then you ended up on that land and your boat was wrecked (so re-banding the group on water again immediately would be difficult).

Or would this be bending the rules too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Attika wrote:
As per the rules: "An avatar may immediately and fully withdraw from combat to a randomly determined adjacent, non-water terrain hex as a non-combat action. The avatar simply leaves combat that phase and cannot be attacked."

What about when your band has hired ships to fight a combat (provoked, lair, Shadow, Xulthul) on the water?

We had been playing it that in those cases water was an acceptable hex to retreat to (your boat was cast about), but if you randomly rolled some terrain type of land, then you ended up on that land and your boat was wrecked (so re-banding the group on water again immediately would be difficult).

Or would this be bending the rules too much?

Hmm. Seems to me that following the rules as written makes the most sense. If you want to flee water combat, you still withdraw to land.

In normal water movement, once you have banded you can't decide to disband into separate watercraft, only into land hexes. Allowing withdrawal to water could result in the same situation, so it's consistent to only withdraw onto land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That Matt is correct. You must break from your band and withdraw onto an adjacent land hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.