Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the advanced rules, each RAF flight has 3 cards in its flight box, and the RAF player doesn't know what they are until a dogfight takes place. Let's say the RAF flight moves 3 squares to attack a German flight. The RAF player draws one squadron card and attacks. Let's say that the RAF suffer no losses, and the German flight has not been destroyed. If the German flight moves away 1 square, and the same RAF flight pursues it...

How many squadron cards can the RAF player play? The rules are not clear on this. Does he get to play 2 cards because he moved 1 square? Or do you count the previous move as well. In that case, he has moved a total of 4 squares, but that case isn't covered in the rules? Or does he get 1 card because that's what he got during the previous Mission Stage?

Also, since the RAF player has 3 squadron cards for that flight, in the above case, does he have to use the same squadron card he used in the previous Mission Stage? Or does he mix that card back in and draw randomly again?

I would like to teach my nephews how to play this game, but I have never been able to find an answer to the above questions. I wrote a letter to TSR many years ago about this, and I never received a response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game about three times, so I can only tell you what we've done. I don't consider myself an authority.

The way I read the rules (and my group too for that matter) is that after each move you note how far the british moved from their last location to determine the number of cards you get to use in the engagement. so in the example you gave, the first time I would get 1 card and after the fight, I mix it back in to the squadron stack and then the second time I would get 2(I think it's 2 cards for moving 1 space). And we always mixed the cards back in after using them, and draw fresh each encounter.

I can tell you in the three games I played, the german player never lost. It isn't that hard to get a mission a turn and then 2 missions on a couple extra on a couple of turns. Usually, the german player defeated the english before they lost the Junkers, and I never saw the Germans even get close to losing a air group. I am considering playing to 10 successful missions for german victory next time.

A question we always had was about where a german plane had to go to land. Did the plane only need to reach any friendly airstrip? Does the plane need to go to at least a strip in their group? Do they have to go back to the originating airstrip? This is important, and they never really talk about it in the rules.

I really like the game. I like a lot of how it plays. I wish the rules would have been a bit more clearly expressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi ,never get bored with this game.

When german flights return ,they have to reach a "friendly" airstrip.
Any on the french side ,but not norway.

Just as a note:
Lots of garman planes landed at diffrent airfields after a raid.
refueled ,minor repairs then returned to their own airfeilds.

If some were badly damaged they would be fixed and might be re-assigned to that airfield .

So at the end of a game turn .you re-shuffle the fight cards and deal 6 to each again.You could find a flight that was fighter heavy one turn could be bomber heavy next,

I think the game works very very well

Amos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles CORDIER
France
MONTIGNY SUR ARMANCON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, RAF flights that remains airborne are being feeded with new fighters from the ground while exhausted one disengaged. This is why we shuffle the squadron cards, and only count the actual impulse movement, ie the time needed to gather three squadrons. If you want to go far, you go quick, then you take off only one squadron.
The 12th group did use big wings, with several squadrons, but they took time to gather and intercept raids on the homebound leg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Kill
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Always played with the Norway box counting as a normal German airfield, Pg 9 of the rulebook states that the Norway box is treated the same as a German airfield. But can't ever recall Luftlotte 2 or 3 having to land there. The German player will probably avoid bombing runs into 12 and 13 group areas until he is deperate or the RAF is on its knees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
hi ,never get bored with this game.

When german flights return ,they have to reach a "friendly" airstrip.
Any on the french side ,but not norway.

Is that Norway exception in the rules or is it a house rule of yours?

Grumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was pointed out to me

Page 9, top middle column: "This space [Norway] is treated the
same as a German airfield

Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.