Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game Necronauts is a sci-fi horror dungeon-crawler with customized explorers and an overlord opponent. Think XCOM meets Descent. One big aspect of the customization is choosing one of thirty different unique Class Cards for each Necronaut explorer. I would love to hear some ideas for classes. You can see a full list of the classes at the bottom of my post.

Setting: It's the far future of humanity, and you must bring a group of three explorers beyond the veil of life and into the land of the dead. You seek occult knowledge to bring back to the world of the living. You must survive evil gods, monsters, hazardous environments, and more. Combat, science, and magic are all used.

What kind of explorers do you bring? For example: Witch, Cyborg, and Archaeologist.

I would especially love to hear some class ideas that directly relate to death and different ways to interact with it. For example, Necromancers, Mediums, Exorcists, Thanatologists, etc. Classes are usually made to be focused on spellcasting, combat, mobility, or utility, but I'd love to hear any and all ideas, and they don't have to fit into those roles.

Visual Example:

Here are the 30 currently tested classes:

- Witch (uses health to power spells)
- Wizardess (bonus casting hand)
- Evoker (uses artifacts better)
- Necromancer (prevents squad deaths)
- Occultist (scientists and caster)
- Transmuter (changes item to another item)
- Daemonologist (begins with a silent servant)
- Warmage (good at 1 handed spells and weapons)
- Abjurer (gives armor to spell targets)
- Illusionist (relocates allies)
- Utility Expert (has 2 items instead of 1)
- Bomber (bonus grenade and bomb)
- Templar (unaffected by monster abilities)
- Commando (bonus melee attack)
- Cyborg (armored)
- Inquisitor (smites monsters)
- Guardian (protects nearby necronauts)
- Raider (destroys monoliths and passages)
- Veteran (bonus pistol)
- Arbiter (prevents summoning nearby)
- Sniper (double range)
- Medic (bonus medkit)
- Climber (squad has bonus stamina checks)
- Sergeant (squad has bonus move attribute)
- Android (squad gains more health from resting)
- Researcher (squad scientists have bonuses)
- Archaeologist (draws and reveals artifacts)
- Explorer (opens/closes passages for free)
- Tinker (uses items easily)
- Analyst (fast analysis)

Thanks everyone. I'm curious to hear what the BGG community thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little more interested to know why you've gone with such a simple B&W graphic scheme for a game that sounds out-and-out gonzo crazy... Sci-fi occultist afterlife-exploring archaeologist demon fighters? You could really go nuts with the artwork, although I'm guessing you'd want to go in a different direction than Ascension: Deckbuilding Game.

Anyway, for classes, I could see you putting together far more than 30 classes. You don't have basic Theologists to figure out what version of the afterlife this is. I'd think that some sort of Pilot could send in drones for recon without risking life and limb. I'd also think that your Necromancer would have a different power, giving squad healing to something like a Resurrectionist or Empath. You could use an Apotropaist to ward off demons, without actually having to kill them. A Sanctifier might bless equipment, while a Scryer might let you look into the future.

Anyway, I'm just throwing out ideas since I have no clue how your game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mortician
Doctor
Politician
Eulogist
Musician
Actor
Confessor
Executioner
Philosopher
Astrologist
Torchbearer
Prisoner
Acrobat
Magician
Wrestler
Sculptor
Midwife
Librarian
Farmer
Child

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since your players are walking in the footsteps of Orpheus, maybe a musician would be a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant shake the feeling that characteristics might work better than classes, or maybe in combination with classes. So instead of having say 50 classes have 20 characteristics and 10 classes which created a combination of 200 unique characters.

Get some nice combinations:
- android witch
- acrobatic scientist
- occultic templar
- analytic illusionist

Or say 30 characteristics, pick a combination of 2 making 435 unique characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
I'm a little more interested to know why you've gone with such a simple B&W graphic scheme for a game that sounds out-and-out gonzo crazy...

Hey Brian, thanks for the feedback. I am not opposed to adding more classes per say, but it does add more for people to think about when drafting teams (a big element of the game).

You can see some more of the art here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171133/necronauts

I love the class ideas! I am likely going to add something like the Pilot and the Sanctifier. Maybe a Scryer or Diviner; I'm a fan of predictive magic in games with dice!

Really like the ideas, thanks. I'll let you know if I end up sticking with any of them. Right now just collecting ideas to playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmuller wrote:
Or say 30 characteristics, pick a combination of 2 making 435 unique characters

Thanks for the idea Graham. I tested something similar to this at one point, but it took too much time during drafting for everyone to pick weapons, spells, items and a class for six necronauts with more perk-like customization options. It's also nightmarish to balance for solid competitive play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Mortician
Doctor
Politician
Eulogist
Musician
Actor
Confessor
Executioner
Philosopher
Astrologist
Torchbearer
Prisoner
Acrobat
Magician
Wrestler
Sculptor
Midwife
Librarian
Farmer
Child

I really like some of these! Some are a bit out there I think, like Child.

I really like Prisoner, Torchbearer, Astrologist, Executioner, Confessor, Musician and Mortician. I think they would be very fitting to the setting, though the Confessor might have some overlap with the other religious-sounding classes. I'll test a few of these ideas out!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like, you can just add a dark descriptor to each title.

"Acrobat of Death"

"Librarian of Death"

"Midwife of Death"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought of a 2-card mechanic where one card establishes race/kindred/speciecs (whatever) and the other establishes occupation? Rather than having "Cyborg", you could have "Cyborg"+"Midwife".

This would realy expand your pool of potential characters!

(Look at Small World for an example of how this type of two-card mechanic works)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal

Hunter

Arsonist

Professor

Butcher

Ninja

Lawyer

Sheriff

Psychologist

Assassin

Minister

Blacksmith

Artist

Prophet

Gravedigger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barry
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Is there an opportunity to scaffold it?

eg first you pick the player's equipment, then the game starts.

At the end of limbo (the first level), you assign a class to them.
At each succesive depth of the necro world, players can add to the characters as they develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Butler ("of Death")

Alien

Snake Charmer

Pirate

Damsel

Ghoul

Prostitute

Cat Lady

Fortune Teller

Pharmacologist

Ghost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Brook, Scott, and Patrick! I love a lot of those ideas.

Many thanks. Which classes do you all like the most out of the already-existing classes in my original post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedesign_png wrote:
Is there an opportunity to scaffold it?

I like the idea of doing something to squads when they move from one realm to another! I'll think about that. It would add another cool sense of reward and progression to the Necronauts. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk B
Poland
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gulpJellyman - extremely weak being with a little above average intelligence and body able to resist almost everything except cold
ninjaMilitary grade Ilusionist - capable of making fools of everyone and EVERYTHING
bluetaj:doctor - Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey
clovesugarman - your daily dose of sweets - can substitute for a medic if you really need one
robotthe D - while he doesn't age he has extreemly brittle body but also a mind of pure genius, hard to control even by itself, has a thing for betrayal... do not trust him, really DON'T.
meepleNUTS - nothing but mussle
ZBEINVENTIV - a piece of paper, anusually crafty being - a shapechanger

of course i came with these to give some inspiration rather that actual ideas, but i think the more oversaturated characters are the more FEEL the game will get. nicknames is a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.