Subject: Scrabble point record broken rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this on slashdot.

A guy playing in a scrabble club in Massachusettes just scored 830 points, the most ever in an official scrabble game. He also scored 365 points for QUIXOTRY, the highest ever for a single turn. His opponent scored 490 points, making this game also the highest-ever total score in an official game!

See http://www.slate.com/id/2152255/ for more details, including the final board.

Edit: It wasn't a tournament as this message originally said, just a sanctioned club game. Also scrabblefied the top scoring word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Very cool article.

But it sure had its fair share of
sourblankgrapes

These tournament guys (and chess, go and bridge all have similar breeds) make us Eurosnoots look downright amiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in a Scrabble club for a while and sometimes broke 350. But the old hands never knew what any of their long words actually meant. They just knew it was in the book and valid. And they played the filthiest words if it got them points. I promise you, I played against one old woman who put down the C word. Yup, the most obscene word in England and she played it nice as pie. Unbelievable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sour grapes is right! That guy earned that record and bitching that he's not a very good player and didn't "earn" it is just lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That article was hard to read. Sour grapes? More like pure vinegar. Could the author BE any more condescending?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
These tournament guys (and chess, go and bridge all have similar breeds) make us Eurosnoots look downright amiable.

But you're not a true Eurosnoot until you enter tournament play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.