Popular Tags: ccg [+] flgs [+] [View All]
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another example...

Yesterday was 'Day Two' of the big initial release of the World of Warcraft Collectible Card Game. Because all of the stores in my area were sold out already, I had to drive two hours to a rather large FLGS in Springfield, Missouri called MetaGames. My wife, who also wanted cards, opted to stay home rather than take us and the 14 month old baby on a long car trip.

When I get there, the cards are being sold at almost four dollars above the manufacturer's suggested retail price. I guess thats the store owner's perogative because there was clearly nobody else in the three mile area that had them in stock.

At first they told me that one starter deck and about 10 boosters was all I was allowed to buy. This was enough cards for one person to play the game. After explaining my long drive and the fact that my wife and I wanted to play together at home, the manager relented and let me buy two starters and box of boosters - again, each one being several dollars above the retail price listed by Upper Deck Enterprises.

As I was leaving, two young men came in and started talking about the card game with the owner - interested in gleaning what I could, I hovered around the counter looking at other products...

Turns out they are the managers of the local Electronic's Botique video game stores, which are due to stock the WOW card game. "I'll buy everything you get," says the FLGS managers. "Okay great - saves us having to unpack them," they answer. "Anytime you get more in, we'll buy them all."

I realized why I had to drive thirty miles to the next town to buy cards. Megagames was not simply marking up their own prices as is their right, but were actively ensuring that they monopolized the supply in a rather large region, free to continue selling at their inflated prices.

I consider myself one of the last remaining FLGS 'ghosts' - I haunt them when I find a good one, spending my spare time and my spare money in them until both are in short supply. Never again. Online is the new FLGS where true competition can flourish to the benefit of the customer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
WoWCCG is out?

Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes you 2 hours to drive 3 miles? OK, so maybe I missed the point of the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
It takes you 2 hours to drive 3 miles? OK, so maybe I missed the point of the story.

I thought the point was that capitalism is bad except as it applies to online retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:

I fixed the typo for you and to further assist you, i'll add that the reason it took several hours to drive the thirty miles to Springfield is due to the reduction of lanes on the only route that goes there, and the heavy fog/rain we've had this week.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If morons would stop buying this shit, the game store owner would be properly bankrupted as he should be.

Don't blame the gamestore owner for the public's inability to not consume no matter what price is given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was you I would mention this story to the EB regional office...........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really sad that you lump all FLGS (although I would drop the "F" from the acronym in this case) together based on the actions of one.

I remember that "Amazing Spider-Man" issue regarding the September 11 attacks (the black cover). A friend of mine went to a suburban Minneapolis comic shop to pick up his weekly pulls and was told that they didn't have enough to fill his order (he got ASM every month). Of course, when he showed up the week after that, they had the issue up for $25. That guy lost my business and my friend's business that day, and I tell everyone I meet who shops there about that event.

Charging collectable prices for a new game/comic/whatever is really pathetic. That shop owner is going to lose a lot of customers by making a short-term profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Arcadian Del Sol wrote:
I realized why I had to drive thirty miles to the next town to buy cards. Megagames was not simply marking up their own prices as is their right, but were actively ensuring that they monopolized the supply in a rather large region, free to continue selling at their inflated prices.

Where is your proof? You overheard one conversation and suddenly Mega-games is responsable for every single shop in your area for being out-of-stock?

Quote:
I consider myself one of the last remaining FLGS 'ghosts' - I haunt them when I find a good one, spending my spare time and my spare money in them until both are in short supply. Never again. Online is the new FLGS where true competition can flourish to the benefit of the customer

So because one store was marking up prices on a hot product, all FLGS are bad?

By that logic, you should never purchase from an online store after Wizard's Attic screwed over so many game companies and customers just before they imploded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of gamestore owners are being faced with the high demand and relativley low availiability of this game. Thus many are going through other channels to aquire stock. Often palying higher prices to have product shipped fast from distributers further and further away. Also indeed some are going to major chain retailers buying at MSRP then selling in thier store at another mark-up.

Me? I preordered mine and got it at a preorder discount (through my FLGS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's probably marking them up over MSRP because he's buying them at retail from EB and any other non-FLGS source he can find.

I used to do the same thing when I ran a FLGS. When I ran out of M:tG cards, I hit the Sports Card store and the Beanie Baby store and anyone else who was glomming on the Magic gravy wagon, but wasn't a real game store. They were the bastards stealing out of my pocket by diluting the allocations all over the place. The freakin Beanie Baby store was selling Magic cards? Give me a break. I'm trying to make a living here, pal. You don't see me selling Buddy Freakin Bear, do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty lucky. timewellspent.org IS my FLGS. Sure, it's an online retailer, but since his office is about 1/2 a mile from where I work - I can just pop in, have a chat with Dave, get some games, and then look forward to the game nights (with Dave in attendance) where I can crack open the new game and give it a go.

Yes, I'm pretty lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like basic Laws of Economics is in effect...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:

I used to do the same thing when I ran a FLGS.

Brett, you ran a game store?!
Sweet. Next you'll tell me you know how to roast your own coffee beans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand your initial frustration but it could be he was trying to get more products for his customers. My friend that owns a comic shop had the same trouble with one series of Yugi cards, He couldn't get them from any of his distributors so he bought them from another store at retail price. He had the distributor stock on the shelf next to the store stuff at two different prices and explained why they were priced different. He did let you get more than the limit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your frustration at being price gouged, but you have only contributed to the problem.

As a previous poster stated, vote with your wallet.

You could write to the people who make the CCG and complain. It probably won't do any good, but then again, maybe they have some sort of reseller agreement in place that prohibits price gouging. Further, write the EB home office and let them know what you saw. Again, probably not a huge issue in their book, but you at least let someone know about irregular business practices.

What you take away from your experience and how it affects your future behavior is what is important. In the future, will you encourage the miscreats by giving them money? Or, will you make the decision to wait a few weeks until supply issues are resolved on future purchases?

Choice is yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
WoWCCG is out?

Cool.

Oh yes. And not only is it just about sold out everywhere, it's a fun game with absolutely beautiful cards. And it's also got a lovely Golden Ticket aspect in that if you happen to pull a Snapjaw Turtle code out of a booster, that's $250 back in your pocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exercise your right as a consumer, and not buy from stores marking up the prices. In this case you can wait for the mega-type stores to get the item you want in stock at their own pace, and at a reduced price. Me? I hate the mark up, but I hate waiting more. Sounds like you do to, considering the drive you made.

As far as online goes, I've yet to find one that charges MSRP with no shipping fees to Canada. So my choices are to pay the inflated price today, or wait 2 weeks to play MSRP + shipping.

My FLGS ups the MSRP but then offers me a 10% discount. The last one I shopped with routinely game me free packs. Try to get discounts and free stuff from EB games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Grant
United States
flag msg tools
jeremyffg wrote:
It's really sad that you lump all FLGS (although I would drop the "F" from the acronym in this case) together based on the actions of one

What is a Line Game Store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I thought the point was that capitalism is bad except as it applies to online retailers.

Quote:
Sounds like it's not FLGS' that you hate, it's capitalism. You supported the guy by buying his stock, so why wouldn't he shovel more coal into the gravy train?

Vote with your wallet.

Quote:
As a previous poster stated, vote with your wallet.

Quote:
Exercise your right as a consumer, and not buy from stores marking up the prices.

I think that was pretty much the point he was making at the beginning of his thread.

I would add that it's not the free market or capitalism he's indicting, it's the act of manipulating the market by purchasing 100% of the stock of his local competition. By purchasing online he is expanding the market-base beyond the control of local retailers.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy on line, pal...and to hell with the rest of 'em......seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lgrant wrote:
jeremyffg wrote:
It's really sad that you lump all FLGS (although I would drop the "F" from the acronym in this case) together based on the actions of one

No idea, but FLGS = Friendly Local Game Store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Mark! Online baby.....don't waste the gas or the time!!! Product comes to your door or place of work....easy...no fuss!arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Grant
United States
flag msg tools
Sal M wrote:
lgrant wrote:
jeremyffg wrote:

No idea, but FLGS = Friendly Local Game Store

Huh? Since when? FLGS has always meant "Full-Line Game Store"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:
He's probably marking them up over MSRP because he's buying them at retail from EB and any other non-FLGS source he can find.

I used to do the same thing when I ran a FLGS. When I ran out of M:tG cards, I hit the Sports Card store and the Beanie Baby store and anyone else who was glomming on the Magic gravy wagon, but wasn't a real game store. They were the bastards stealing out of my pocket by diluting the allocations all over the place. The freakin Beanie Baby store was selling Magic cards? Give me a break. I'm trying to make a living here, pal. You don't see me selling Buddy Freakin Bear, do you?

His regular customers are pressuring him to have the game in stock, im sure. I've seen this before, and he is likely not making as much money by buying up EB stuff at retail and marking it up as he would be getting it from a distributor.

I think assuming that there is some sort of grand conspiracy with a FLGS owner as the mastermind is reaching a bit. His distributor is probably screwing him and he's getting 100 calls a day for the game.

But, im only speculating...and you are too. Personally, I would have asked the guy what is going on instead of assuming things and posting the name of the store. I just dont think its cool to evesdrop and go post what I heard for thousands of people to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.