Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Yu-Gi-Oh! Dice Masters» Forums » General

Subject: ring of magnetism rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Lester
msg tools
I've seen people writing online how the lord of d and ring of magnetism are a unfair combo but being ring of magnatism is an action die doesnt the effect of an action die just go away at the end of turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiq01 wrote:
I've seen people writing online how the lord of d and ring of magnetism are a unfair combo but being ring of magnatism is an action die doesnt the effect of an action die just go away at the end of turn.
As written, it totally should. Action dice that persist have text saying so, like Cerebro.

Unfortunately, this would mean that the versions like "sidekick attraction" are completely useless:

"Play on a monster. All opposing sidekicks must attack while that monster is active."

You would place it on your turn, then it would go away at the end of the turn, and it would never be in play to force your opponent's Sidekicks to attack. This means that it definitely should stay in play, even though it doesn't have that text.

So, I guess, you should play it like it stays, and hopefully Wizkids will eventually issue the errata to the card. Until they do though, I'll just avoid these cards for OP events.

(as an aside, the Rings also appear to be placed on a character card, not on a single die (just like Cerebro). So, all copies of the character dice fielded get it's benefits)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Here's the thing with that combo - I don't think it overrides legal targets.

Relevant card text:
Lord of D.
"While this monster is active, it cannot be the target of opposing action dice or abilities."

Ring of Magnetism
"Play on a monster. Your opponent's action dice and abilities can only target that monster."

Similar to how UXM Storm's global can redirect targets of action dice, you still must select a legal target - it can't override and target something that's normally not an option (using the Relentless action on a character die already in the field, for example).

Breaker the Magical Warrior - Mana Break reads as follows:
"When summoned, you may move an action die from the field to its used pile."

So either Breaker can cancel the Ring of Magnetism, or it can move the monster Ring of Magnetism is played on to the Used Pile (assuming it isn't Lord of D.). That's ridiculous to think like that, so I think Ring of Magnetism only affects abilities where the monster its played on is a valid target for. Otherwise, it can't override with an illegal target.

Either way, this is something WizKids needs to rule on. Hopefully someone gets it posted on the rules forum and they provide an answer.

crambaza wrote:
(as an aside, the Rings also appear to be placed on a character card, not on a single die (just like Cerebro). So, all copies of the character dice fielded get it's benefits)
What's your reasoning for this, crambaza? While I agree 'play on a monster' is vague wording, Cerebro specifically called out a card as the target for the action (at least initially). Since Ring of Magnetism doesn't say 'Play on a monster card', I don't think it would be placed on a card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocolius wrote:
crambaza wrote:
(as an aside, the Rings also appear to be placed on a character card, not on a single die (just like Cerebro). So, all copies of the character dice fielded get it's benefits)
What's your reasoning for this, crambaza? While I agree 'play on a monster' is vague wording, Cerebro specifically called out a card as the target for the action (at least initially). Since Ring of Magnetism doesn't say 'Play on a monster card', I don't think it would be placed on a card.
Let’s look at the text on the Sidekick Attraction version:

“Play on a monster. All opposing sidekicks must attack while that monster is active.”

If you read it as playing it attached to a die, it doesn’t make sense. If it is attached to a die, of course that die is active…

If you read it as playing it on a card, then it makes sense, as the ability will only work while one of those dice from that character is in the field.

The “Monster Attraction” version also has wording to support the fact it plays to the card, not the die:

“Play on a monster. Your opponent can only block monsters affected by this die until each such monster with this die has been assigned two blockers.”

“… monsterS affected by this die…” – More than one monster affected by 1 die. How is that possible? Only if this 1 die is placed on the card, and multiple monsters from it are in play. (an argument could of course be made that they are referring to multiple monsters affected by multiple dice, but the ability doesn’t say “… monsterS affect by these dice…”, it only says “this die”.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocolius wrote:
Here's the thing with that combo - I don't think it overrides legal targets.

Relevant card text:
Lord of D.
"While this monster is active, it cannot be the target of opposing action dice or abilities."

Ring of Magnetism
"Play on a monster. Your opponent's action dice and abilities can only target that monster."

Similar to how UXM Storm's global can redirect targets of action dice, you still must select a legal target - it can't override and target something that's normally not an option (using the Relentless action on a character die already in the field, for example).

Breaker the Magical Warrior - Mana Break reads as follows:
"When summoned, you may move an action die from the field to its used pile."

So either Breaker can cancel the Ring of Magnetism, or it can move the monster Ring of Magnetism is played on to the Used Pile (assuming it isn't Lord of D.). That's ridiculous to think like that, so I think Ring of Magnetism only affects abilities where the monster its played on is a valid target for. Otherwise, it can't override with an illegal target.

Either way, this is something WizKids needs to rule on. Hopefully someone gets it posted on the rules forum and they provide an answer.

First, I do think Breaker can clear the Ring, because it doesn't target a monster, and just like the ruling here:

Official Forums wrote:
Monster Reborn doesn't target a monster, Action Attraction doesn't apply.
So, because Breaker doesn't target a monster either, Action Attraction won't apply either.

And, just to make sure, Wizkids has ruled on the combo and it does work for monster targeting effects.

Official Forums (my emphasis) wrote:
We've been asked for some further clarification here.

Effect A:
Your opponent can't target this monster.

Effect B:
Your opponent can only target this monster.

This can't and this can are not at odds with one another. Someone staring down a Lord of D. equipped with Ring of Magnetism would check for the ability to target a character (with Swords of Revealing Light for example). Effect A would stop you from choosing Lord of D. Effect B would stop you from choosing one of the player's other monsters. The end result is no legal targets.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I thought and I am glad they ruled it this way too.
Crambaza nailed it, when there are references to 'when active' it refers the card being represented by any number of dice in the field. I would agree that it attaches to the card. With it saying when active I would also say that the effect lasts until it is canceled or there are no character dice in the field.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
crambaza wrote:
Let’s look at the text on the Sidekick Attraction version:

“Play on a monster. All opposing sidekicks must attack while that monster is active.”

If you read it as playing it attached to a die, it doesn’t make sense. If it is attached to a die, of course that die is active…

If you read it as playing it on a card, then it makes sense, as the ability will only work while one of those dice from that character is in the field.

The “Monster Attraction” version also has wording to support the fact it plays to the card, not the die:

“Play on a monster. Your opponent can only block monsters affected by this die until each such monster with this die has been assigned two blockers.”

“… monsterS affected by this die…” – More than one monster affected by 1 die. How is that possible? Only if this 1 die is placed on the card, and multiple monsters from it are in play. (an argument could of course be made that they are referring to multiple monsters affected by multiple dice, but the ability doesn’t say “… monsterS affect by these dice…”, it only says “this die”.

When I read Sidekick Attraction, I just assumed it was a poor wording choice that made it through the edit process. Somehow the rare didn't make sense to me the first time, but now it sounds crystal clear that the rare is a die meant to be placed on a card. Since the other two versions make sense being placed on cards, I'd agree with the other being as well - although it'd be nice for WizKids to openly state this.

Mabuchi wrote:
With it saying when active I would also say that the effect lasts until it is canceled or there are no character dice in the field.
I would assume that it would be 'until canceled or removed by the player', similar to what Cerebro states. It doesn't make a lot of sense to play the die on a card and then, when there aren't any dice from the card in the field, it gets discarded.


Just so I'm clear on this, if I use the basic action Smash! (AVX) against this and my opponent's Lord of D. is on his level 3 side with Ring of Magnetism in play, would my Smash! be useless because of the combo or would it not be affected by it because Lord of D. isn't a legal target for Smash! in the first place?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocolius wrote:
When I read Sidekick Attraction, I just assumed it was a poor wording choice that made it through the edit process. Somehow the rare didn't make sense to me the first time, but now it sounds crystal clear that the rare is a die meant to be placed on a card. Since the other two versions make sense being placed on cards, I'd agree with the other being as well - although it'd be nice for WizKids to openly state this.
I agree 100%. With the history of some poor writing from Wizkids, maybe it is just poor writing and editing. I also would love clarification from Wizkids, because I really like these Rings, but I don't want to play them until I really know how they are played.
Quote:
Just so I'm clear on this, if I use the basic action Smash! (AVX) against this and my opponent's Lord of D. is on his level 3 side with Ring of Magnetism in play, would my Smash! be useless because of the combo or would it not be affected by it because Lord of D. isn't a legal target for Smash! in the first place?
This following ruling from Wizkids says that there are no legal targets for you to do anything, and without legal targets, you can't play it.
Official Forums (my emphasis) wrote:
We've been asked for some further clarification here.

Effect A:
Your opponent can't target this monster.

Effect B:
Your opponent can only target this monster.

This can't and this can are not at odds with one another. Someone staring down a Lord of D. equipped with Ring of Magnetism would check for the ability to target a character (with Swords of Revealing Light for example). Effect A would stop you from choosing Lord of D. Effect B would stop you from choosing one of the player's other monsters. The end result is no legal targets.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon further reflection regarding when the Ring goes to the used pile, I fall back on this from the YGO rule book:

"Game Tip: For dice that provide an ongoing bonus, you can move them into the field as a reminder. Just move them to the used pile at the end of your turn, or when moving your used pile into your bag."

Of course, the DC rule book is the more up to date one, and all it tells us is:

"Unless otherwise specified, card effects and bonuses end at the end of a turn."

And there is NO wording on the Ring that specifies a different end point, so, until Wizkids issues errata on this, it has to be end of turn. This effectively makes "Sidekick Attraction" useless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to casual play, I will use the Ring for how it makes sense, when it comes to OP its just another card that stays in the binder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try here before making a new thread. A question on Action Attraction. If my opponent has already put a Cerebro action die on one of my characters (it stays there until removed) will playing Action Attraction move the Cerebro die to the character that Action Attraction is played on? Or does Action Attraction only work on NEW targets?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough one. I would say that it would move over, but I will wait to see what Crambaza says.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb




That is a good question. I could see it going either way.

On the one hand, Cerebro does say that a "card effect" can remove it. On the other hand, I could see the Ring only affecting new actions from that point on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
There's no precedent for something new affecting actions already completed in a previous turn. WizKids has ruled that Ring of Magnetism can only be played on an individual character/monster die, not a card.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4242&s...

Ring of Magnetism also states that opposing actions and card abilities can only apply to that monster in the first place - meaning if you're using an ability where one of their monsters is not a target for the action you're performing (Monster Reborn, Cerebro - Supercomputer, etc), the Ring doesn't do anything to interfere with it.

Cerebro - Supercomputer would stay on the card you played it on in the first place. If they managed to remove it (Jinzo or Breaker the Magical Warrior, for example), you could still place it back on that given character card, even with Ring of Magnetism - Action Attraction in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocolius wrote:
There's no precedent for something new affecting actions already completed in a previous turn. WizKids has ruled that Ring of Magnetism can only be played on an individual character/monster die, not a card.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4242&s...

Ring of Magnetism also states that opposing actions and card abilities can only apply to that monster in the first place - meaning if you're using an ability where one of their monsters is not a target for the action you're performing (Monster Reborn, Cerebro - Supercomputer, etc), the Ring doesn't do anything to interfere with it.

Cerebro - Supercomputer would stay on the card you played it on in the first place. If they managed to remove it (Jinzo or Breaker the Magical Warrior, for example), you could still place it back on that given character card, even with Ring of Magnetism - Action Attraction in play.
So in your opinion Ring of Magnetism only affects actions that target dice, which means Ring of Magnetism does not affect Cerebro because Cerebro targets cards? Not sure I followed your logic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
kmancheese wrote:
So in your opinion Ring of Magnetism only affects actions that target dice, which means Ring of Magnetism does not affect Cerebro because Cerebro targets cards? Not sure I followed your logic.

Exactly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So pretty much Namor, Jinzo or Breaker the Magical Warrior, huh?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
kmancheese wrote:
So pretty much Namor, Jinzo or Breaker the Magical Warrior, huh?

Yep. I think with the inclusion of Breaker and Jinzo, Cerebro re-enters the balanced territory against squads that go heavy on one specific, cheap character. Namor required too much set-up to remove it typically.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Caldwell
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
To clear this up this die is used as an equipment so it stays on the field and if that character takes damage to take life to 0 then the equipment stays on the field and the next turn is moved to a character of your chosing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Caldwell
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Would ring of magnetism action attraction die on an opposing character make him attack his own die with whatever actions and or abilities even if it was more than one say an imprisoned action die shows on the field would it negate the abillity and make the opponent use the action on himself also would action attraction nullify green Goliath hulk deal three damage to all opposing character and or red dragons breath weapon???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaldwell101 wrote:
To clear this up this die is used as an equipment so it stays on the field and if that character takes damage to take life to 0 then the equipment stays on the field and the next turn is moved to a character of your chosing



Too all this interpretation here i doubt what you say and proof that it is not a gear , never will it stay in the field after an KO or the die that is attached to it leaves the play in some ways:


DM Rules Errata:

"Meta Rule:
When character dice are captured, dice that are attached to them (such as Ring of Magnetism) go with them. Such attached dice are also considered to not be in play for game purposes, and they return to the Field Zone with the die they were originally attached to. The same is true for dice that have the gear keyword in the upcoming D&D expansion. When characters that continuous dice are attached to are KO’d, or sent to the Used Pile, the continuous die follows."

Maybe Gear stays in field because of extra rules in D&D , but the Ring of Magnetism has only the continous effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.