Hide
10 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Allied Factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac McAnally
msg tools
After purchasing a second game, I became very knowledgeable about the rules of this game. I understand the design and have come up with a new concept. This could be a packet, or it could just be added to any game at any time. I'd like to get feedback from any Risk geeks. Future ideas will follow.

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!

If used as a packet, this set of rules could be unlocked after Alien Island and the Fallout Zone are marked.

With new enemies follows new alliances. Even though these alliances are temporary, wars can be won with strong numbers. This packet contains four colored dots--two yellow and two orange, each marked with the word ALLY. In order to determine which factions can be allied factions, consider the following:

* Aliens are determined to destroy the world. They always have hidden agendas. They do not ally with anyone.
* Mutants do not know which side to trust. They want to be left alone in their nuclear waste. They will not ally with anyone.
* The Bringer of Nuclear Fire can no longer be trusted with WOMDs. No one will ally with them.

Therefore, the remaining four factions can be considered for alliances. To choose which faction will ally with another faction, check the number of times each approved faction has "held on" during previous matches (in case of a tie, roll randomly):

* The two that have held on the most will join together because only the strong can survive.
* The remaining two factions join forces, as well, for the meek shall inherit the earth.

Allies have several benefits. These benefits apply two each of the factions, i.e. the two yellow factions share these abilities while the two orange factions do the same:

1. If an allied faction attacks an ally's territory, the attacking faction must roll one less die when attacking. For example, if it had 4 troops, it could only roll 2 dice, not 3. Also, the defending ally receives a +1 bonus to all its defense dice. This deters allies from attacking each other (it's not impossible, only improbable).
2. Allies share their starting (green) powers with each other. An ally faction gains the benefits of its ally's starting power.
3. Allies share their resources, as per the Homeland rule. After conquering any territory, an allied faction can choose its ally's homeland territory if its available.

If all non-allied factions are knocked out or eliminated, the treaties are broken. All ally bonuses are revoked and combat continues normally. Note: If a non-allied faction is knocked out, the treaties are still broken, even if the knocked out faction joins the war on a later turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... what benefit does one get from being a non-allied faction. Or for that matter can the aliens team with Mutants?

also, if BoNF is bad, why not have Alien collaborator as bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac McAnally
msg tools
Honestly, I only wanted to choose 4 factions to be eligible for alliances. Those made sense with their individual stories. But, you make a valid argument.

I would not give the non-allied factions bonuses. Aliens and Mutants were created to gain benefits from the start. The Bringer of Nuclear Fire is, now, a target but gains extra firepower if the Mutants join the war.

Also, temporary alliances can be formed through the game itself. Those alliances just don't gain any bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac McAnally
msg tools
Oh, and the Alien Collaborator already has a great weakness.

My design is to keep the game balanced but allow a little more creativity and choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like the basic idea, but I'm not sure it's practical.

someone should playtest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac McAnally
msg tools
We playtested it with games 13 and 14. In game 13, it was 2 allied factions versus 1 non-allied faction. The non-allied faction was kicked out fairly early. Our initial overview is that even though the allied factions have additional bonuses, they also are forced to head in only a single direction. We established that would be the allied faction's weakness--direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac McAnally
msg tools
In game 14, it allowed one faction to win the game because its ally had the last HQ needed to win the game.

Also, we play with a Retreat Rule that states "if the defending territory has only one troop and after the attacker has rolled the dice, the defending territory can retreat its one troop into an adjacent territory owned by the defending faction."

That helped, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did you get a chance to try it in 5-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac McAnally
msg tools
Not yet. The most we have played with is a 4-player game. It worked out pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe fake 5 player? If you have 2 allied factions that'd be easy to set to the same player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.