Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of thing happens all freakin' time. Someone bashes Caylus, and next thing you know all the Chuck N....I mean Caylus fans come out of the wood work to defend it.

I've never played Caylus, but I've seen two turns on BSW to know that the game isn't for me. I have played Puerto Rico though, but as any Caylus player will tell you, PR is NOT Caylus.

So the F'ing hell what? I've seen the rule book. Its like 30-50 pages. And by the way, after about 15 pages in, its like I can't even understand what the hell they are talking about. Like the printer started printing letters in random order....almost like it was foreign.

I have played PR and while PR is not the same game as Caylus, the too game systems are similar. I can take my experience with Puerto Rico and apply it to Caylus. Caylus may have a Balif (and really, shouldn't they call that a Policeman or something?), but they both have money involved in the game, and you win by having the most victory points.

Of course the first thing Caylus players will say is, "If you haven't moved the Provost, then shut your damn pie hole!" Now, I've discussed Caylus at length with a man on the street, that I've never met, so I feel that I have GOD LIKE knowledge of the game. And for all you nay-sayers, how many games of Caylus would I have to play to have my opinion counted among you? 3?? What, 5??!!! I mean come on....5 games of Caylus? That could take....well a LOT less time than a game of....well I'll let you fill in the blank, but I was NOT going to say ASL.

I'm gonna be dishonest here for a bit. Caylus is NOT for everyone. And I didn't play 20 games of it on BSW....noooo sir. So I know, because I DIDN'T play those 20 games, that Caylus is crap. I don't like Caylus...I just like baiting the fans of the game.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is just complete crap! PR is NOTHING like Caylus. PR has money....no wait...Caylus does too...AHHHH....Caylus' victory condition is having the most victory points....no you said that. DAMMIT!

...omg...they ARE the same game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That isn't a misprint you idiot! They printed the rules in multiple languages. SO IT IS FOREIGN YOU JACKASS!

Take your hate filled messages and burn in hell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh....was just tryin to have some fun. Jeez. Good thing this place doesn't allow guns, or I'd shoot myself for the self hating I'm feeling right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy, how much sugar have you had today?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, the ASL guys would support me if they show up. Then you better watch out. I've only had 7 cups of coffee. I use honey...not sugar...so there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like city-building simulation games? Try ATS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
You know, the ASL guys would support me if they show up. Then you better watch out. I've only had 7 cups of coffee. I use honey...not sugar...so there.

They would show up and reply....but they don't have a break in the game yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard Ticket to Ride is a really good train game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Murphy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Caylus is a transparent attempt to steal material/players from ASL while avoiding copyright infringement. IT IS LIKE GREEN CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I love about Caylus is the fact that there are so many ways to win, but the most important way is by earning points. Also there is the issue of money which is completely unlike money in Puerto Rico because I believe the money there is called Duchies. Or maybe those are the what you build in Rheinlander. In any case, the money in Caylus is also made of tiddly-winks, so it has that going for it.

One thing Puerto Rico does not have that Caylus does have is a nice road gently and serenely flowing down the board. Puerto Rico does have a tile that depicts a Trading House though, so I suppose that evens things out.

Oh, and speaking of Ticket to Ride, that game doesn't have money at all, so don't even try bringing it into the conversation.

I seem to recall Age of Steam having tiddly wink money too. Caylus and Age of Steam both have tiddly wink money...Ticket to Ride and Age of Steam are both train games. OK, I see where you're coming from now. Sorry I over-reacted earlier.

Does Puerto Rico have a castle? I don't think it does. Heck, it barely even has a board. Since we're on the subject of train games, Railroad Tycoon has a HUGE board. I don't think it has tiddly winks though, so forget I mentioned it.

You think Caylus has difficult and long rules!?! I have them written on the back of my business card and I still had room to write a grocery list. Caylus is WAY simpler to learn than Puerto Rico. Or Age of Steam for that matter. Probably not Ticket to Ride though.

In summary, Caylus is way better than you're giving it credit for, but probably isn't as good as some other games that maybe feature better things in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like the pink food cubes, why not just play Through the Desert instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
Do you like city-building simulation games? Try ATS!

Am I the only one who got this brilliant bit of subtle humor? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
hughthehand wrote:

They would show up and reply....but they don't have a break in the game yet.

Or at least from thier own thread talking about the game. Or is it ATS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Murphy
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kane, you couldn't have said it better yourself.
or..uh..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
I am insecure in my manhood and thus refuse to play a game with pink cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
I think you need to get out a bit more and perhaps get a life - unless, that is, the care centre don't allow you out anymore. shake

actually the care center staff has neglected to keep an eye on the computer again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is just ok, if you like run-of-the-mill, boring board games. But if you want to talk about games with money, theirs really nothing that compares to DTS. It has MILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!! Its overwhemling!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan W
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus.. hmm... that's the one that's like Monopoly, right? There's money and you build things, and sometimes you don't get to collect bonuses because of a jailer, or jail, or something....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do NOT get all sensitive when someone bashes Caylus! If you don't like Caylus it's only because you don't know what you're talking about. So, shut up and go back to Candyland!!!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh, and speaking of Ticket to Ride, that game doesn't have money at all, so don't even try bringing it into the conversation.

You guys don't play the money varient?? Now that is just plain crazy talk. How are you supposed to buy the exploding penguin launcher for your train if you don't have any money?

And don't get me started about the #11 plant in PowerGrid...there's serious metal fatigue in all the load-bearing members, the wiring is substandard, and it's completely inadequate for your power needs. Plus the board is like a demilitarized zone.

We also play PR with the Gozer the Traveler home expansion. During the Builder Phase, Gozer appears as a terrible Torg. Many players have found what it means to burn in the darkness of hell in those games, I tell you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF. Y do ppl speak in abb.? I just F's me off!

Imho I h8 it!

WTF duz ATS, ASL, BSW mean?......wot nxt?

IOU, PDQ..... it makes me ir8!

TTFN

CHRIS

PS I AM NOT SENSITIVE ABOUT CAYLUS......AT ALL.......HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST IT........JUST STAY RIGHT THERE......I'M COMING OVER!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay no attention to Jeremy, in any of his horrible incarnations! He's not a REAL gamer, he doesn't know what he's talking about. How can anyone not like a game like Caylus where you can actually get victory points? I met the provost down a dark alley one time, and believe me, those boots were made for walking.

And besides, Jeremy isn't a real woman, he just plays one on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jhagen1908 wrote:
I am insecure in my manhood and thus refuse to play a game with pink cubes.

We call it Spam.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.