Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I only have the revised edition of the base game.

What do the experts think about using the base game as a tutorial to introduce the game and GoA as the main event. What are the pros and cons of skipping the 1st expansion altogether?

It seams that FFG has presented us with a lot of possibilities here, but what is the best way to approach Elder Sign 2.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems as though GoA is the expansion aimed at increasing the difficulty. If you use it without FL you might find it too hard to begin with as FL made the game a little easier. Also, check the component manifest for FL - you'll be missing out on a lot of good stuff that you can use in GoA. Is buy all three, even if you intend to only play GoA. Actually, I've just realised that you have to buy FL as it provides the Blessed and Cursed dice that AoG also uses (though less frequently than does FL).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Actually, I've just realised that you have to buy FL as it provides the Blessed and Cursed dice that AoG also uses (though less frequently than does FL).
So, Considering all the options, what is the ideal composition for the game? What is the ideal Elder Sign 2.0 component manifest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your goal is to play Gates of Arkham exclusively, then it is true that you will be paying for new adventure cards, entrance cards, and mythos cards you won't use, as per the official rules. Some people are coming up with house rules to use the original adventures in Streets of Arkham mode so that they can still make use of these cards.

However, there are still a lot of reasons to get Unseen Forces:

* Four new ancient ones (Glaaki, Shudde M'ell, Tsathoggua, Abhoth) which are more challenging than the base game AOs -- you can still play against all of them in Gates of Arkham mode (though Tsathoggua will be really nasty now, as doubling entrance costs really hurts in Gates of Arkham)
* New investigators
* New items and allies
* New monsters
* The blessed/cursed dice and cards (which do show up in some Gates of Arkham adventures)

Now I bought both expansions, so I didn't have to make the choice you did. Some may disagree, but on balance, I still think Unseen Forces is worth the $20 it's going for at the online retailers.

As for the tutorial aspect, you could do what you described, but some of the changes may confuse people at first when moving from one to the other. Here's what to keep in mind:

* There is no more free healing or items in Gates of Arkham -- your entrance options are totally different. There is less healing in general in Gates of Arkham. You cannot count on a full heal being available when you want it.
* Gates and otherworlds are handled completely differently -- in the base game, otherworld adventures are placed faceup after completing an adventure with a "gate" reward; in Gates of Arkham, when a gate opens (usually by mythos effect, event, or ancient one), the otherworld adventure is placed face down and matching gate markers are placed on the otherworld adventure and an Arkham adventure to link the two). The game tends to punish you for having too many gates open, but you still need to do it, because the otherworld adventures are rich in Elder Sign rewards.
* The strategy is different -- in the base game, you usually go right after the Elder Signs and don't look back. If you get reasonably ahead (elder signs vs. doom track), you will likely win. Not so in Gates of Arkham where you have to go more slowly and methodically. There is less healing and the presence of facedown adventures demands a more slow and cautious approach, using the powers of the locations to get more items, allies, skills, spells, and healing. Resource management is much more important now.

I love Gates of Arkham mode and that will likely be the majority of my plays from now on, but that doesn't mean I won't break out the older variant from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlhorner1974 wrote:
If your goal is to play Gates of Arkham exclusively, then it is true that you will be paying for new adventure cards, entrance cards, and mythos cards you won't use, as per the official rules. Some people are coming up with house rules to use the original adventures in Streets of Arkham mode so that they can still make use of these cards.

However, there are still a lot of reasons to get Unseen Forces:

* Four new ancient ones (Glaaki, Shudde M'ell, Tsathoggua, Abhoth) which are more challenging than the base game AOs -- you can still play against all of them in Gates of Arkham mode (though Tsathoggua will be really nasty now, as doubling entrance costs really hurts in Gates of Arkham)
* New investigators
* New items and allies
* New monsters
* The blessed/cursed dice and cards (which do show up in some Gates of Arkham adventures)

Now I bought both expansions, so I didn't have to make the choice you did. Some may disagree, but on balance, I still think Unseen Forces is worth the $20 it's going for at the online retailers.

As for the tutorial aspect, you could do what you described, but some of the changes may confuse people at first when moving from one to the other. Here's what to keep in mind:

* There is no more free healing or items in Gates of Arkham -- your entrance options are totally different. There is less healing in general in Gates of Arkham. You cannot count on a full heal being available when you want it.
* Gates and otherworlds are handled completely differently -- in the base game, otherworld adventures are placed faceup after completing an adventure with a "gate" reward; in Gates of Arkham, when a gate opens (usually by mythos effect, event, or ancient one), the otherworld adventure is placed face down and matching gate markers are placed on the otherworld adventure and an Arkham adventure to link the two). The game tends to punish you for having too many gates open, but you still need to do it, because the otherworld adventures are rich in Elder Sign rewards.
* The strategy is different -- in the base game, you usually go right after the Elder Signs and don't look back. If you get reasonably ahead (elder signs vs. doom track), you will likely win. Not so in Gates of Arkham where you have to go more slowly and methodically. There is less healing and the presence of facedown adventures demands a more slow and cautious approach, using the powers of the locations to get more items, allies, skills, spells, and healing. Resource management is much more important now.

I love Gates of Arkham mode and that will likely be the majority of my plays from now on, but that doesn't mean I won't break out the older variant from time to time.

Thanks for your very informative response, Jason. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unseen Forces is just more of the base game with two new dices. It add a lot of new cards, and the blessed/cursed die really change the game.

Gates of Arkham add new cards but most of the new stuff is aimed for the new mode, which do not allow you to use the base game investigations or even the midnight cards.

So I would recommend Unseen Forces before Gates for sure, because Gates is more like a new game who uses the items and die and other worlds from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.