Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this show up on plenty of Essen reports and it seems to be getting pretty good reviews. The problem is I don't really have any idea how it plays other than there is a "lazy passenger" that moves around and "it may seem like TtR at first, but it's really not".

Can anyone who's played it give me an overview of how the game works? What makes it good? How long does it take? Does it scale well in the player range?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
Can anyone who's played it give me an overview of how the game works? What makes it good? How long does it take? Does it scale well in the player range?

How does the game work

Each player has a number of lines, which they build to try to give them the most points by the end of the game. Points are gained by building to certain stations, and by having the Passenger use your lines. Play starts with the first player and proceeds clockwise. In each players turn, they build track, then move the Passenger.

Building track consists of laying four lengths of track. The first length of track of any line can be placed anywhere on the board, but all subsequent lengths must be placed to extend the line at the ends. You may branch the line, but only by giving up two branch tokens (gained by skipping track builds and building into Termini). You get points by building to National Rail stations, Termini, connecting Interchange Stations and building loops.

After building, the active player moves the Passenger. There are four potential destination stations at any one time, drawn from the deck of destatiation stations. The Passenger moves first to an express destination station (if there is one), then to a normal destination station (if there is one). The Passenger chooses the station and the route such that (a) the number of spaces he must walk is minimised and, if there is still a choice, (b) the number of lines he has to use is minimised. If there is still a choice, the player moving the Passenger decides. Each line that the Passenger uses gives the corresponding player a point.

After moving, the destination cards visited are removed and replaced. When the deck of destinations is exhausted, the Passenger stops moving, players complete the round of building, and the game ends. The player with the most points wins.

What makes it good?

Relatively simple rules leading to a lot of interesting decisions on both tactical and strategic levels. But I designed the game, so I'm somewhat biased.

How long does it take?

About an hour.

Does it scale well in the player range?

In my opinion, yes - or I wouldn't have had that range of players. That said, I have had reports that some groups have issues with the downtime between players turns in the five player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I see that some reviews are coming in now too. It looks good. Definitely on my Christmas list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my copy for the first time yesterday and can report that it is fantastic as a two player game. Looking forward to playing it with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Atkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I got this game on impulse with my birthday money =] and was a little worried i had made a silly mistake, I was thinking working out the moves of the passenger would prove time consuming and anoying. Actually tho the passenger makes the game.. I played it for the first time tonight with 2 people who never play board games and they loved it! even said they want to play it again right away! hehe so thumbs up all round, easy to learn and nice simple tactical/strategic play (its all about the infrastructure if you ask me)

nice one Sebastian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.