BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Italia (Phalanx) any information? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PJ Pletter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi there,

Since Phalanx's Italia was released at Essen I expected at least some comments from people having looked at it / played it / bought it or something - but it has remaind dead quiet on this game. Wasn't it supposed to be the Phalanx 5th anniversary release?

The thing is, I'm thinking of purchasing either this one or Britannia, and was wondering how the two compare overall in game duration, components, fun factor etc. For all I know the game system's basically the same with Italia having two different games for 3 and 4 players, depicting different periods in time.

Can any of you guys shed some light on this matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia is one of my all-time favorite games (AH version, I haven't tried the new from FFG). So I have been eagerly awaiting Italia too. But I browsed through the rules of Italia at the Phalanx stand in Essen, and at first glance they looked a lot more complex than those of Britannia. Not surprising, I guess, since the designer's previous game in the Britannia series was Hispania, also a very big and complex game (so big and complex, in fact, that I only ever got around to playing it once, whereas Britannia has hit the table more than 50 times over the years).

So, despite being a Britannia fan, and despite thinking Italia looks great, I ended up passing on it at Essen. Now, I hope someone with some actual play experience will come forward and tell me that my fears are really misplaced, at which point I might give it a chance. But buying it without a recommendation? No way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the full rules at Essen and sat down with the game instructor but there were no other takers as the game takes 3-4 hours to play.

It's very much a straight port over of Britannia to Italy. The rules mirror those in the new Britannia game and didn't seem any more daunting as most of the actions and mechanisms are the same. One difference is that there are cities in Italia akin to the forts in the new Britannia, but there are no roads.

The game scales better than Britannia as there is both a 3 and 4 player version played over different time periods. There's also nice score sheets to track points as you go along for both the 3 and 4 player game. I thought the production value was somewhat nicer than the new FFG version of Britannia with an uncluttered board and nice thick counters.

Overall I think that if you're a Britannia fan you won't be disappointed in getting this game, but realize it's more of the same game in a different location. This was originally on my buy list but I passed on it as well at Essen as they wanted 45 Euro for the game. I couldn't justify it when there were other games of the same or better quality in terms of both components and gameplay going for 25-35 Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.