Popular Tags: [View All]
P.J.
United States
Delhi
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't something for the gallery and such because of how I set it up, but I've been working on a small personal photo challenge, which covers board games. So I'm getting a tad artsy with things. Wanted to share with this and see what people though.

I used selective focus, as you can see. The idea was to show the logo, but have the blur of the game components in front of it. I liked how this one came out.

I used a 28-75 2.8 lens with this, down to 2.8.

I also tried the same with one of the cards. So the focus is on the card, of course, but I tried to make it so it looked a little more "scary" per say.

So far, I've been having a whole heap of fun with this little project and wanted to share a couple of images!

EDIT: Was hoping the photos would be slightly larger in here, but this is how they showed up!
EDIT 2: Fixed size
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
softball29 wrote:
EDIT: Was hoping the photos would be slightly larger in here, but this is how they showed up!

You can specify the size of the image as it should show in your post to make them show larger, like so:
[imageid=2423415 medium] or [imageid=2423415 large] (Although "large" will get automatically reduced to a size somewhere in between, with a 'zoom-in' button control.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.J.
United States
Delhi
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
softball29 wrote:

You can specify the size of the image as it should show in your post to make them show larger, like so:
[imageid=2423415 medium] or [imageid=2423415 large] (Although "large" will get automatically reduced to a size somewhere in between, with a 'zoom-in' button control.)

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Way too warm and underexposed for my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Andrews
United States
West Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
These are great. Nice shot of the logo. Colors look great to my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
Way too warm and underexposed for my taste.

Agreed. You're on the right track - play around with different exposure and WB settings. And maybe up the aperture a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shallow depth of field != artsy

DoF is just a tool and based on these example I would suggest working on the basics first. These are under exposed. It's fine to under expose if you have a reason, but in this case I see no reason for underexposure. Learn and play with the 3 elements that effect exposure (shutter speed, aperture and ISO). Also, learning and studying composition will go a much longer way to making a good, "artsy" image rather than relying on shallow depth of field. The first image, for example, feels off to my. The foreground takes up most of the image and competes for the attention given to the logo which is in focus. It feels unbalanced. Again, there may be a reason you're trying to evoke that feeling, but I don't see the reason.

I don't mean to be harsh, just being honest and hopefully giving some good feedback.

Have fun learning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Conwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
These look great!

For selective focus, try a "lensbaby" - they are fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going the opposite direction. Both are so badly out of focus (except the actual game name) as to be pointless. Both are underexposed.

"Artsy" is not synonymous with "bad photography".

Use the rule of thirds for focal length and depth of field, and get some fill or bounce lighting in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
submit and take part in the monthly photo geeklist

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/188333/best-february-2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I see what you are going for here, but I think your White Balance is a touch off....also a bit bigger of DOF on #1 would be helpful bringing in some of the pawns into focus.

Keep working and experimenting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.