Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
121 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Any idea why all of these old Dice Tower videos are being suddenly uploaded? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I PMed the poster, and haven't heard back so far. It seems odd, especially seeing as how this user just signed up about a month ago. Do old videos routinely get approved? Not a big deal, just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/138/dice-tower/general

Why would anyone not associated with the dice tower know their uploading routine?

I don't know, but aren't these readily available? It's not like they're new videos. Couldn't this person just have found old Dice Tower videos on You Tube and uploaded them again here. These aren't new videos as far as I can tell.

EDIT: And sorry, but I don't know why you directed me to that link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
red black wrote:

Why would anyone not associated with the dice tower know their uploading routine?

I don't know, but aren't these readily available? It's not like they're new videos. Couldn't this person just have found old Dice Tower videos on You Tube and uploaded them again here. These aren't new videos as far as I can tell.

Small misconception. Videos don't get uploaded (stored) in BGG. You can only post a link to the video which is hosted somewhere else. BGG just uses controls to make video play inside a BGG post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
red black wrote:

I think that's just a suggestion that you'll get a quicker/better answer if you post in that forum, as it is more targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Sizzla wrote:
red black wrote:

I think that's just a suggestion that you'll get a quicker/better answer if you post in that forum, as it is more targeted.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks. I'll do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They might be re-uploading the ones with the ads at the end.

Pete (thinks this might be a sponsorship thing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered the same thing. The reviews itself are old, but the videos are new versions. They have a different youtube ID and they are quite a few seconds seconds longer due to the added/changed trailers/footers/whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others from the DT guild forum.

If it fills the gap of DT uploads and DT is cool with it? More power and for the uploader.

edit:

TomVasel wrote:
It IS a big deal to me. If someone wants to help post our videos, they should contact me first, at least. We try to get them all up if possible, so that we can follow them and respond to comments on them if needed.

Tom isn't really thrilled with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
Sizzla wrote:
red black wrote:

Small misconception. Videos don't get uploaded (stored) in BGG. You can only post a link to the video which is hosted somewhere else. BGG just uses controls to make video play inside a BGG post.
OK well that makes my reupload theory false.

Pete (thinks they would simply change their hosted content and keep the link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the one who uploaded the videos to gain geek gold.
But the videos were very old, some had months and some had years and no one had uploaded them, so i did.
From what i know, you should give some time so the person who made the video has the opportunity to upload it, but thats not the case because those are old videos and no one had uploaded them.
I dont think i am doing nothing wrong, and i think that there arent any rules against it, but if i am wrong please direct me to the rules.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunovix wrote:
I was the one who uploaded the videos to gain geek gold.
But the videos were very old, some had months and some had years and no one had uploaded them, so i did.

You did not seemingly watch the actual content then. Most of the review content were already uploaded, although not the exact same video. Now there are two almost identical videos, with possibly the older, obsolete versions showing higher up in the video lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes i saw the content, but i cant watch every video that is posted in the video section. There is no way to know if the video has a similar one, besides the video id.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the creator, Tom Vasel, has a problem with it so it was wrong. Would have been nice to ask him first instead of a geek gold grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it is not technically wrong, you also need to ascertain whether it demonstrates good etiquette. In this case, I think it shows very poor etiquette. The GeekGold is suppose to be for something YOU contribute. Finding someone else's videos and posting them without asking is not the intent of what GeekGold is awarded for. Pretty shady behavior in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunovix wrote:
Yes i saw the content, but i cant watch every video that is posted in the video section. There is no way to know if the video has a similar one, besides the video id.

Thus, you should leave it to Tom to post HIS videos, or at least ask him first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've been trying to stay in the background a bit on this, since I raised the initial queries, but I have to say that this seems like a loophole that should maybe be closed. I agree that this seems like at the very least inconsiderate behavior. The poster of all of these videos did eventually respond to my GM and stated that he did it for the geek gold. I'm not sure if that admission is something to be commended for or not. I'm just concerned that this could start a slippery slope of old, slightly changed videos being constantly posted and clogging up the front page in a gold rush. It seems too late in this case, as his new avatar and microbadges have already obviously been purchased off of this behavior. I just wonder if this is an invitation for others to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i disagree with you in some aspects.
I think that the video upload section was made to share videos with other users, and in this case the videos are public in Youtube. And you will ask me..."Dont you think that you should give a chance for the video owner to upload it to Bgg?" Off course i do. But if months and years passed, and the owner didnt uploaded it, so i think that another user must have the possibility to share that public video with other users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunovix wrote:
Well i disagree with you in some aspects.
I think that the video upload section was made to share videos with other users, and in this case the videos are public in Youtube. And you will ask me..."Dont you think that you should give a chance for the video owner to upload it to Bgg?" Off course i do. But if months and years passed, and the owner didnt uploaded it, so i think that another user must have the possibility to share that public video with other users.

You're a Dice Tower fan. That's obvious from the new microbadge you just bought, and all of the videos you posted. Tom is a very active user here. It seems like common sense to ask him about this first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt think that Tom had any objection to someone upload videos from months and years old. On the contrary i would supose that Dice Tower would be happy that people would share their videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Geeky Gimp reviews at geekygimp.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The video upload section is for the creators to upload their videos, not for you to upload other people's content. I'm pretty sure it even states this when you go to upload something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunovix wrote:
I didnt think that Tom had any objection to someone upload videos from months and years old. On the contrary i would supose that Dice Tower would be happy that people would share their videos.

I don't want to accuse you of having bad intentions. I really don't know what your motivations were beyond what you stated, which was to get geek gold. As I'm sure you're aware, Tom stated in a different thread why he has a problem with this. I'm more concerned about the front page getting clogged with a bunch of old, slightly changed videos by people trolling for gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
zinehappy wrote:
The video upload section is for the creators to upload their videos, not for you to upload other people's content. I'm pretty sure it even states this when you go to upload something.

All it says is "PLEASE do not add videos created by other users before they have had a chance to do so themselves."

As the guy says, if he's waited months, they've certainly had that chance. As a user, if Tom missed adding the video for here for some reason, I'd rather it be there than not. Yeah, the best scenario would be for the guy to have contacted Tom and worked together on it but it's hardly a crime that he didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zinehappy wrote:

No it isnt just for the creators of the video.
And it doesnt state 'that' when you are uploading a video. What it states is:
"PLEASE do not add videos created by other users before they have had a chance to do so themselves."
And that was what i did, i shared a public video that the owner didnt care to upload to Bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunovix wrote:
"PLEASE do not add videos created by other users before they have had a chance to do so themselves."

Now you did add them, and Tom does not have a chance to add them himself. (Taken literally there is no time limit.)

Also, like I said, a lot of the videos have already been uploaded. You did not take the time to see that most of the reviews had been posted already. You said it yourself that you did not bother to check if the content was already there with a different name or different youtube id. A lot of the games in question had only one page of videos. For example Barry's videos could be identified with a single glance at the video page and compared in 5 seconds to see that the content is identical apart from the trailer and credits.

You get geekgold from geekmodding, go and do some of that. whistle

No, wait. Don't. You would need to actually do some work there... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
nunovix wrote:

Now you did add them, and Tom does not have a chance to add them himself. (Taken literally there is no time limit.)

Also, like I said, a lot of the videos have already been uploaded. You did not take the time to see that most of the reviews had been posted already. You said it yourself that you did not bother to check if the content was already there with a different name or different youtube id. A lot of the games in question had only one page of videos. For example Barry's videos could be identified with a single glance at the video page and compared in 5 seconds to see that the content is identical apart from the trailer and credits.

You get geekgold from geekmodding, go and do some of that. whistle

No, wait. Don't. You would need to actually do some work there... devil

No you are wrong, he had more than one chance he had many chances in the months and years that passed.

Of course i didnt see all the videos uploaded, and i shouldnt see them all, thats why video id exists so you dont duplicate the video uploads.

And actually do geekmodding, so you know!

The point is, you are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion dont matter, what matters are the rules of BGG and i am doing everything according to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.