Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When determining if the Party Platform matches the Public Opinion cards on the State and National boards are there:

4 different choices for each policy - "No", "Less", "More" and "Yes"
or
2 different choices for each policy - dark background ("No" and "Less") and light background ("Yes" and "More")?

Do you have to match just your Party Policies background to Public Opinion Policy background for that policy or do you have to match the type ("No", "Less", "More" and "Yes") also?

Example:
Party Policy
Genetic Engineering - light "Yes"
Taxes - light "More"
Nuclear Power - dark "Less"
Workers Wages - light "Yes"
Social Security - dark "No"

State Public Opinion
Genetic Engineering - light "More"
Taxes - light "More"
Workers Wages - dark "No"
Social Security - dark "Less"

Is your Coincidence Rating going to be:

Genetic Engineering -1 ("Yes" vs "More")
Taxes +1 ("More" vs "More")
Workers Wages -1 ("Yes" vs "No")
Social Security -1 ("No" vs "Less")

+2
Genetic Engineering +1 (light "Yes" vs light "More")
Taxes +1 (light "More" vs light "More")
Workers Wages -1 (light "Yes" vs dark "No")
Social Security +1 (dark "No" vs dark "Less")

Genetic Engineering +0 (light "Yes" vs light "More")
Taxes +1 (light "More" vs light "More")
Workers Wages -1 (light "Yes" vs dark "No")
Social Security +0 (dark "No" vs dark "Less")

The examples shown in the rules only show exact matches or exact opposites, no gray areas like: light "Yes" vs light "More". If you only compare the light colored "Yes"/"More" against the dark colored "No"/"Less", then why not have just 2 choices "Yes" and "No"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

Just two different colours for each issue. In some cases, it will be a "yes" or "no" decision, and others will be "More" or "Less".

There is only one positive response and one negative response for each issue. In either case, your platform consists of either one or the other, and your coincidence rating goes up by one in cases of exact agreement, or down by one in case of an exact disagreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just going by your "light" and "dark" references your "popularity (coincidence)" with the public will be +2. But don't forget to add (might be + or -) your trend for that region to get your final "popularity" total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Hi Tim,

Just two different colours for each issue. In some cases, it will be a "yes" or "no" decision, and others will be "More" or "Less".

There is only one positive response and one negative response for each issue. In either case, your platform consists of either one or the other, and your coincidence rating goes up by one in cases of exact agreement, or down by one in case of an exact disagreement.

Can you please expand on this explanation? I still don't see why there would only be two cards then (Yes and No)

Confused
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inntrepid wrote:

The examples shown in the rules only show exact matches or exact opposites, no gray areas like: light "Yes" vs light "More". If you only compare the light colored "Yes"/"More" against the dark colored "No"/"Less", then why not have just 2 choices "Yes" and "No"?

This is what I mean

jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll give this another shot.

Let's start with an example. For any given issue there are three possibilities.

Let's say that I am concerned with the "genetic engineering" policy at the moment. In the particular state I am looking at, the "yes" card is in play. Now I look at my party platform. I could could have:

i) The genetic engineering "yes" card in play in my party platform. I get to add 1 to my coincidence rating (in this state).

ii) The genetic engineering "no" card in play in my party platform. I have to remove 1 from my coincidence rating (in this state).

iii) No genetic engineering card in my party platform at all. Because my party does not have a stand on this issue, I do not remove or add anything to my coincidence rating.

This process is just repeated for each issue for the state in question. After getting used to it, you'll be able to calculate coincidence rating in no time.

It's important to note that there are no "in between" cards for issues. Either you agree with popular opinion, or you do not. The only other possibility is that you do not have an opinion listed.

For each issue the "affirmative" cards can represent a "yes" or a "more" response. The "negative" cards represent a "no" or "less" response. For the purpose of the game though, it doesn't matter what you call them, as long as you are able to tell "affirmative" from "negative" and match them up in each state accordingly.

Along with this, I should mention that there aren't literally two cards for the opinions. There are several, and some players will have similar stands on some issues. The important thing is that there are only two opinions on each issue, with several duplicates of the cards involved so that more than one player can share the same opinion (this is important, because it leads to coalitions).

I hope this helps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Okay, I'll give this another shot.

Let's start with an example. For any given issue there are three possibilities.

Let's say that I am concerned with the "genetic engineering" policy at the moment. In the particular state I am looking at, the "yes" card is in play. Now I look at my party platform. I could could have:

i) The genetic engineering "yes" card in play in my party platform. I get to add 1 to my coincidence rating (in this state).

ii) The genetic engineering "no" card in play in my party platform. I have to remove 1 from my coincidence rating (in this state).

iii) No genetic engineering card in my party platform at all. Because my party does not have a stand on this issue, I do not remove or add anything to my coincidence rating.

So, if I have a "more" card in play, it counts as '0'?

Should I be paying attention to color of the cards or the symbol (yes, no, more, less)?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
It's important to note that there are no "in between" cards for issues. Either you agree with popular opinion, or you do not. The only other possibility is that you do not have an opinion listed.

For each issue the "affirmative" cards can represent a "yes" or a "more" response. The "negative" cards represent a "no" or "less" response. For the purpose of the game though, it doesn't matter what you call them, as long as you are able to tell "affirmative" from "negative" and match them up in each state accordingly.

Along with this, I should mention that there aren't literally two cards for the opinions. There are several, and some players will have similar stands on some issues. The important thing is that there are only two opinions on each issue, with several duplicates of the cards involved so that more than one player can share the same opinion (this is important, because it leads to coalitions).

I hope this helps?

These three paragraphs make no sense to me at all. I have been playing euro boardgames for almost 10 years but I am still having trouble coming to grips with these rules.

Am I trying to match the colors (dark or light) or symbols (yes, more, less, no)?

Do I get a +1 if the issue is a Yes and I have a more (in the same issue of course)

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Bryan
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any given issue is either "Yes / No" or "Less / More"; none are all four, or any other combination of the four. Only one pairing makes the most sense for any given issue.

Take taxes, for example. A party platform of "No Taxes" may sound nice, but it's not realistic. "Less Taxes," however, makes sense. So taxes are "Less / More" instead of "Yes / No".

Clear enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
otrex wrote:

I hope this helps?

These three paragraphs make no sense to me at all. I have been playing euro boardgames for almost 10 years but I am still having trouble coming to grips with these rules.

Am I trying to match the colors (dark or light) or symbols (yes, more, less, no)?

Do I get a +1 if the issue is a Yes and I have a more (in the same issue of course)

Thx
jonpfl

Dude. You are making it soooooo much harder than it really is. Just look at the background colors. Forget about the checkmarks, x's, up or down arrows. They are obviously confusing you.

It really is simple. If you match the color, it's a +1. If you are the opposite color on that issue, it's a -1.

Then add 'em up. Modify the total by your popularity rating. And that's what each cube is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
durak60 wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
otrex wrote:

I hope this helps?

Thx
jonpfl

Dude. You are making it soooooo much harder than it really is. Just look at the background colors. Forget about the checkmarks, x's, up or down arrows. They are obviously confusing you.

It really is simple. If you match the color, it's a +1. If you are the opposite color on that issue, it's a -1.

Then add 'em up. Modify the total by your popularity rating. And that's what each cube is worth.

Then why did they include 4 different replies? Why include Yes and More? From what you are saying, you only match the colors, right?

Curious
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
jonpfl wrote:

Then why did they include 4 different replies? Why include Yes and More? From what you are saying, you only match the colors, right?

Curious
jonpfl

To be gramatically and thematically correct.

For example, on the issue of internal security, your party's position would be either to increase it, hence "more" or to decrease it hence "less". "Yes" or "no" wouldn't make sense in this issue since you can't not have internal security.

Now take the issue "genetic engineering" or our beloved square tomato. Your party is either for allowing it ("yes") or not ("no").

The earlier editions had one more combination - "sooner" or "later" (on the issue of adopting the Euro). I don't have the Valley ed so I don't know if it's still in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes" and "More" are always the light side...and an issue only has one or the other. "No" and "Less" are always the dark side...again, an issue only has one or the other - whichever fits thematically.

Thus you can match the symbols or you can match the background colors - the results will be the same.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wiebe
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just used my new Valley Games copy of Die Macher for the first time and I spotted something that may be the cause of the confusion.

There's a slight printing error. For at least one issue, there are some cards marked as "Yes/No" and some as "More/Less". (i.e. some cards have arrows and some have checkmarks.) This shouldn't have happened... each issue is supposed to be exclusively "Yes/No", or exclusively "More/Less".

Personally, I think it would have been a better decision to formulate ALL the issues as "yes/no" or perhaps "pro/con"... for example, instead of "Worker Wages" (a More/Less issue), have "Increase Worker Wages" (which could be Yes/No).

My gaming group quickly started referring to everything as Pro/Con anyway... it makes it easier to refer to things (i.e. "Hm, that state's Anti-Nuke and I'm currently Pro-Nuke, better change that.")

So to reiterate what's been said above, just treat every issue as a Yes/No and ignore whether it's checkmarks or arrows. But the fact that they accidentally mixed together some checkmarks & arrows doesn't seemed to have helped.

(Still love the game though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rileywiebe wrote:

There's a slight printing error. For at least one issue, there are some cards marked as "Yes/No" and some as "More/Less". (i.e. some cards have arrows and some have checkmarks.) This shouldn't have happened... each issue is supposed to be exclusively "Yes/No", or exclusively "More/Less".

We were trying to learn the game the other night, and we thought we noticed that. Summon the Guild of Harrasing-Companies-To-Produce-Reprinted-Parts-Even-For-Trivial-Misprints! Sound the alarms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Zakeri
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
apotheos wrote:
Rileywiebe wrote:

We were trying to learn the game the other night, and we thought we noticed that. Summon the Guild of Harrasing-Companies-To-Produce-Reprinted-Parts-Even-For-Trivial-Misprints! Sound the alarms!

As long as we're summoning the Guild, can they get Valley Games to reprint a whole new set of Party Platform/Public Opinion cards that use graphics that can be distinguished from each other at a distance of greater than 2 inches?

"Huh, that state is anti-tomato, pro-taxes, pro-blob, and anti-another-blob. I wonder if they support the same blob that my party does. Everyone hold on while I get the electron microscope to calculate my Coincidence Rating."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't spell "electron" without "election"...mostly.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon the Green wrote:
apotheos wrote:
Rileywiebe wrote:

As long as we're summoning the Guild, can they get Valley Games to reprint a whole new set of Party Platform/Public Opinion cards that use graphics that can be distinguished from each other at a distance of greater than 2 inches?

"Huh, that state is anti-tomato, pro-taxes, pro-blob, and anti-another-blob. I wonder if they support the same blob that my party does. Everyone hold on while I get the electron microscope to calculate my Coincidence Rating."

I agree with this 100%. I have to really look at the cards to distinguish between some of them. I wonder why a simple playtest didn't notice this.

jonp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtesting isn't typically done with the final production art in place. By the time art is being finalized the playtesting is finished. The artwork and graphic design goes through a quick review to make sure everything is in order, but obviously things can slip through.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Current public opinion:

Misprints - "No" (dark)
Prompt Pre-Order Delivery - "Yes" (light)
Indistinguishable Icons - "Less" (dark)
Opportunities to play Die Macher - "More" (light)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.