Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pardon me if this was previously addressed but I didn't see anything in 7 pages of variant titles.

I've got an extra set of Forumla De dice I've been thinking of using in the game (I think you can still buy them online for that matter). For those who've played extensively, would these work for movement/engine dice better than a standard die? Also, would they work for different areas of the game as well such as market sales or event resolution? It would seem like an easy fix for many of the complaints I've read about the random nature of movement at the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed, I don't have the time to find them now, but I'm sure someone else will come along and post a link to those threads.

It would be fairly game breaking to use Formula D dice. It would reduce the variability of combat, making it even less of an option, while simultaneously making anything based on movement (missions and trading) a much better option. Trading is already pretty strong, and this makes it even stronger. You'll find that the winners of every game will be the ones focused on large engines and doing missions while trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, if someone finds that discussion please point me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Thanks, if someone finds that discussion please point me to it.

Just do a forum search of "Formula D". It's been in a dozen threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the "idea" of using Formula De type dice is not a bad one if you dont like the randomness. However, I wouldn't use those exact Formula De dice - they would be too strong with their particular number ranges. eg the Green dice is 7-12 from memory, Id image it would be better suited to be say 4-12. The dice after that is 11-20, which again would be too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, the Formula D dice themselves don't preserve the averages of the dice.
Ex of normal dice:
d6 is 1-6, average 3.5
d8 is 1-8, average 4.5
d12 is 1-12, average 6.5
d20 is 1-20, average 10.5

If you just change a d6 from 1-6 to something like '3,3,4,5,5,6' to eliminate the low numbers, that average would be 4.33, which is 24% more than an average d6.

If you want to eliminate the lows from the dice, you'd also have to reign in the highs to preserve the averages. A 1d6 would have to go from '1,2,3,4,5,6' to '2,3,3,4,4,5'. This preserves the average (3.5), and tightens the rolls to mostly being 3 or 4, with the rare 2 or 5.

It would make traveling a bit more predictable, though it would lower the high end damage of weapons, which I haven't really thought much about yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Tassi
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion you are looking for is here:
[thread=https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1256513/using-formula-d-dic...][/thread].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of the people who actually started one of those discussions.

Its a matter of perspective.

It does change the curve, significantly, and make combat much more lethal.

It also makes the game much less random, especially in movement.

Obviously youd want to maintain the normal d20 for all skill rolls and mining rolls.

And also in some ways you might want to maintain the normal dice for missiles to maintain the randomness of a missile and the likelihood of not getting a direct hit.

I don't think it actually breaks the game in any way, but it does notably change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
make combat much more lethal...I don't think it actually breaks the game in any way, but it does notably change it.
It makes combat *less* lethal, because there is reduced variability. No longer will you have a situation where there is a high damage roll and a low shield roll; The rolls will be closer to each other.

It is my opinion that it would be game breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been intrigued by this idea, but it would change the game pretty drastically, probably for the worst ultimately as is the general consensus here. The only way I could see something like this working is if you're able, via some mechanism you'd totally have to create, to get a card or something (like a "technology card" that you could buy or achieve) that would allow you to roll the special dice for better odds on something. You'd have to EARN (or otherwise acquire) and then SPEND this card (one time use) so you could save it for a special occasion, but you'd have to choose the right moment. I don't know, just something I thought of while reading through this thread. Probably more trouble than it would be worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but has someone tried using the Formula De dice ONLY for the engines?

I agree that combat needs the increased variability for game play and theme, but rolling a lot of 1s and 2s on movement makes people not want to play the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading remains the best money making in the game, and Quests the best way to gain FP... especially considering they are not mutually exclusive. Increasing the average moved (and especially the minimum) makes those two things even better.

A more subtle way of increasing things, especially at at cost, is what I have encouraged. Any such change that comes at no cost is going to be broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try using dynamic sell spaces next time I play. So I'm hoping that will make the trading strategy a little more difficult.

The problem with movement is low rolls hurt EVERY strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
I'm going to try using dynamic sell spaces next time I play. So I'm hoping that will make the trading strategy a little more difficult.

The problem with movement is low rolls hurt EVERY strategy.

So invest in bigger engines. Your chance of rolling a one halves when you get a t3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.