dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got hold of a copy of the 80s version of Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (well, actually Escape from Atlantis).

I wasn't very happy with the spinner/wheel thingy that activates and moves the sea creatures so i thought i'd make a set of cards to replace it.

The newer versions of the game use a die (or dice) for this which changes the ratios/probabilities of each creature being moved.

My version uses this wheel:

The later versions use a simple die with one side for each of the creatures, 1 for a boat and 1 as a "choose whatever you want "joker"".

i've been working on the designs for the cards and this is what they look like:

(the two rows show different colour palettes to reflect the differently coloured creatures in the different versions... i haven't made up my mind which colours to use yet).

possible rules for these:

deck of cards with 6 card for each creature (3x1,2x2 and one card with a number 3).
At the end of their turn players draw a card. They can then play no card, 1 or 2 cards (depending on how many cards they have in their hand) but may never have a hand larger than 3 cards.

If they play 1 card they simply resolve what the card shows: the creature shown is moved as many spaces as indicated by the number on the card.

If they play 2 cards showing different creatures they may combine the creature from one card with the number from the other card.

If they play 2 cards showing the same creature they may add the numbers of the 2 cards.

how does that sound?

Any other ideas of how a card based system could be used for this game or what other types of cards could be included?

Any feedback is welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Cheatham
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The cards will work. I may suggest you at least add a reshuffle card. The die in the game means that a creature may never move the whole game. Agree it is very unlikely....but much more random. With cards, you guarantee each monster will move on their allotted odds. Using a double deck with one or two reshuffle cards may be the answer for the card version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
tedcheatham wrote:
The cards will work. I may suggest you at least add a reshuffle card. The die in the game means that a creature may never move the whole game. Agree it is very unlikely....but much more random. With cards, you guarantee each monster will move on their allotted odds. Using a double deck with one or two reshuffle cards may be the answer for the card version.

Yes, that should be an interesting effect (if desired).
I'm not sure the "less randomness" of a deck of cards with guaranteed draws would pose such a problem though.

firstly because the actual placement of creatures is random and secondly because with my suggested mechanic of playing 2 cards in combination (but only using the creature of one and the number of the other) that kind of mitigates the "every creature gets played" issue.
But the re-shuffling could be interesting.

I was going to add a "whirlpool" card (or set of cards) and also boats (for variants where boats can be moved more).

The whirlpool card could be used for the re-shuffling i guess, and it could also be used to force players to discard their hand (to prevent too much card collecting for optimal plays).

How about a volcano? (could also be the reshuffle card) or islands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.