5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions for a micromanaging group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrann Redeagle
msg tools
Hi everyone!

I've recently started to play arkham horror and kingsport expansion. I played 1 session with 2 players- 4 investigators, 3 sessions with 3 players- 6 investigators and 1 session with 3 players- 3 investigators. The GOO which we used are:

Azathoth
Ithagua
Atlach-Nacha
Eihort

Every member of my group is an experienced tabletop rollplayer, good strategist and magic the gathering player. So during the game, we carefully observe every kind of challenge and effectively find a way out. Base game is quickly mastered. Azathoth and Ithagua posed no threat. Terror track never reached to 5. Then we jumped to Kingsport. New place to visit seemed cool. Also captain and changed mechanics were something new, as well as the ability to sell items. But after 3 sessions with kingsport, we very rarely found any incentive to visit the town. Sending someone with a lesser clue pool to kingsport to gather clue while keeping the rifts shut and then changing places with someone just spent his clues is quickly became a routine. A rift only appeared once (due to a card opening one up instantly). Didn't pose a threat. Kingsport nearly turned into a unwanted chore in 3 investigator session. We used Eihort and 2 herald during that game to add more difficulty(which nearly worked with terror track hit the all time high 7 and doom track just 4 token short of being full).

This week I will purchase Dunwitch Horror and Lurker expansions. Besides their new mechanics how could I create a more challenging but not ridiculous game? How could I create a more interesting Kingsport?

I was thinking that adding a fan expansion(that doesn't add yet another board) might be an option. What do you think?

For Kingsport I have a few ideas. But I am not sure how balanced they are.

1. Rifts can be permanently sealed at a central Kingsport location Just like an open gate. Lore(-1) or fight(-1) check will be needed to close an open or semi-open first rift and after passing the test additional 4 clues needed to seal it. 2nd and 3rd rifts have their checks rolled at -2 and -3 disadvantage. There are no rift tokens as tropy but player who sealed the rift may take one spell as loot.

2. Monster surges add additional rift token on board(even if movement symbols already added one rift at that turn). Monster symbol related tokens can not be placed upon sealed rift's track. Monster surge related rift token is placed upon first avaible slot. If there are no available slots due to seals, one seal is broken and token is placed there.

3. Kingsport pawn shop might be used like general shop in Arkham.

4. If a gate burst doesn't open a new gate in Arkham, a gate opened in Kingsport. The location is determined as the clue location in myhtos card (if it shows a kingsport location) or simply a rift token could be used.

5. Movement doesn't end at causeway and wireless station. But a speed (-1) check is required to pass each location. Failure means the movement ends and an encounter card must be resolved. These locations are still telepotation etc. proofed.

Lastly, what do you think about Dunwitch? Is it more challenging or will I need to adjust the horror track rules just like the rift track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 'fix' for the problem of a low impact Kingsport board is Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion. The new Mythos deck and the extra Location Encounter cards really make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discussed this with Julia.

Kingsport is subtle. It doesn't require a lot of attention early, but it becomes a bigger problem as things go on and tends to ramp up in the midgame or endgame (usually just about when everything else tends to go wrong). It has some interesting encounters too.

This is contrary to the way the doom track works -- it tends to fill up fast, then the pace slows down as high frequency gates are sealed and monster surges occur.

Dunwich and Innsmouth are both good for adding difficulty. They require more constant maintenance, as monsters falling into vortices is bad.

Dunwich has more locations and encounters to manage, and the Dunwich Horror is like a mini boss that periodically advances the doom track while in play. The Injury and Madness cards that come with Dunwich are almost a must to play with (they provide one constant detriment instead of taking half your stuff when you go unconscious or insane). Dunwich is probably the best big box expansion to get first.

Innsmouth also has more locations, including ones tough to get to (Devil's Reef and Y'ha-nthlei), tough encounters, and a nasty martial law requirement which kicks in when the doom track is half full and forces you to evade when ending movement in a location with a modifier or be arrested. And the Innsmouth Jail is *not* a place you want to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find Eihort rather easy GOO, as he barely affects the gameplay before awoken. If you think, you will handle the game and there is little danger of awakening, you can completely ignore the corrupt tokens.

Your variant will not get you what you want, I am afriad.
Ad 1. Sealing a rift will be a HUGE advantage for Investigators. The problem with rifts is that there are always three to keep an eye on.

Ad 2. This might speed things up, it really depends on your luck. We had a game, where TWO rifts open almost at the same time just because the monster movements came in the right (and quick) succession.

Ad 3. The problem is, that to keep with the mechanics of the base game, it should be closed when the terror track reaches 3. That may prevent an investigator from going back to Arkham, if he has no money. Also, you will not be able anymore to have an encounter there to remove a rift token (actually, there has to be solution to this, as another Kingsport location - the Lighthouse - may get closed. Does anyone know how to deal with this?).

Ad 4. I can't see, how a gate burst won't open a gate in Arkham. When in the location is already a gate, it triggers Monster surge, if there is seal (other than Great Seal of the Changed), it removes it a and opens there. Am I wrong?

Ad 5. Personally, I will most likely use this, as the only occasions when we visited the High House in the Mist was when some Traveller was lost in Mist ;-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrann Redeagle
msg tools
Thanks for replies!

Miscatonic and Innsmouth expansions definitely will be on my radar. But they are not something I could have right now.

To my short experience, most of Ancient Ones and heralds are really depend on luck. We used green flame herald in one game. We drew 2 cultist during first turn(green flame makes them elusive and able to crack seals). So first few turns were really tense trying to rid of them before sealing a gate. But then we never drew another cultist and herald's job was done. Eihort was nice because he devoured one investigator. We used him with comet-god (ghort?) herald. If you think there are harder or more tense God-herald combo I would like to integrate them.

As for variants, I fear my group doesn't see kingsport as an integral part of the game. I am looking for ways to change that. They like the encounters but they rather think closing the rifts is a job with no pay off, something that prevents them to participate the game as they won't encounter any monsters or gates up there. I thought sealing mechanic would gave them incentive to visit Kingsport more. They would have a spell as loot and rest of the game is a bit easier with a rift sealed(with clue cost of course). I haven't playtested this variant. So it could be a total disaster.

I think closing the pawnshop might be the tradeoff for being able to buy common items. I really don't know what happens when the lighthouse close. We might apply the same rules. Or we might have to leave the lighthouse and pawnshop tokens in the rift tracker. If that's the case, closing that particular rift has to be done with sealing variant.

Gate burst doesn't add gates when a monster surge occurs. I thought when this happens, we could add a gate to Kingsport as well as surge. It's a rare thing but officially Kingsport is a stable board. So it has to be rare I guess.

As I said before I am just looking for a way to spice up the Kingsport board. This variants could be changed, optimised or dismissed entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.