Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekmod [+] photos [+] [View All]
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This image has been submitted and declined twice already today.

While modding, a couple of minutes ago, I've seen it again. So that's already the third time this image has been submitted today. Any ideas why this image seems to be so important ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone is desperate for GG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwen wrote:
Any ideas why this image seems to be so important ?

Read the caption. Because it's a picture of the stock option tokens in play.
We already have a perfect picture of the stock option tokens outside of play. The blurry cards don't improve the image. Declined thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Reeves
United States
Akron
Oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've voted to decline it twice today. Apparently I'm slacking or I would have gotten to do it three times.

Damn employment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
gives me a headache

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my image. Glad you like it.
Why was it submitted 3 times.

First time I got back a message saying that it was

Corrupt and To Big. So I resubmitted it. By the way it is only 570x760ish
Did not save the geek mail.

The second time I submitted it. I got back this.

Reason: The image was too similar to another image already in the database.
Reason: The image was too blurry.

Not sure why it is too similar. Only one other image that is of the tokens and none in play.

IT IS NOT BLURRY - IT IS DEPTH OF FIELD. The tokens which is what is the main part of the image is in focus.

Third time I resubmitted it was to change the caption to reflect that it had strong depth of field.

What is funny on the third time. Is that while I was looking a hot photos for the day. It popped up with two thumbsup. I guess this is a bug that if an image is not approved but gets a thumbsup it will still show up in the hot image list.

Here is the reasons it was declined third and last time.

Reason: The image was irrelevant to the subject.
Reason: The image was badly cropped or not rotated.

Know I am really confused. It is of the game, I explained it is not blurry. Cropped and Rotated who knows why.

Ok here is some other image that got past geekmod today that is blurry
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/157345

One that is too way to big
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/157338

Here are two similar ones
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/157316
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/157315

Also just because you do not like it is not one of the choices one the list of reasons to decline. But if you are against the image for artist reasons please click Other and write the reason down so I least I know the truth about why it was declined.

Ok rant done I feel better.

I accept defeat on the image, and I greatly appreciate all the images of mine that do get by geekmod. I also appreciate all the time geekmodders put in to checking images. Which I am one, I just past my 5000 geekmodded image.

Edit - I also submitted three times because I liked the image. When my others get declined I do not resubmitted. I guess that is why I also ranted a little.

Take care David Namaksy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looks like someone's repeated attempt at submitting an "artistic" image. Cardboard discs are a pretty boring subject for that type of pic though.

If it was some very nicely painted miniatures with the gameboard softly out of focus in the background it might be a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
It hurts/crosses my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David:
I really like most of the photos that you have submitted. I like the fact that many of them have an artistic touch. However, I think that the photo you submitted today has a way too short depth of field. As someone said it almost makes your head hurt. Either increase the depth of field a bit or crop the photo to about half the height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm not sure what others think about Geekmodding... but I see it similar to game ratings... there is a lot of subjectivity involved and if a submission gets declined, it shouldn't be taken as a personal attack. Everyone has different views on what looks good or what should/shouldn't be a session report etc.

I don't know the numbers it takes to get a particular item declined or approved but if it's a simple majority out of 5/10/20 or so then that's still better than having 1 person be the single nazi that only approves what he/she deems acceptable.

If I had something rejected I'd likely try submitting at least once again as well if I thought the picture/review etc had merit. Then like David has done... accept defeat and move on to something else or try to improve it.

If I wrote a 5000 word review and it got rejected I might be a bit pissed (which may happen someday) but I also might use that as incentive to edit out some of the extra hyperbole and improve it and resubmit. Same with a picture... take another better pic and throw it back into the lion's den for approval. You can choose to channel the irritation of being rejected and treat it as a challenge to get your work past the bastards (all of us) that are the "board of approval" here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosmores wrote:
Reason: The image was too similar to another image already in the database.
Reason: The image was irrelevant to the subject.

IT IS NOT BLURRY - IT IS DEPTH OF FIELD. The tokens which is what is the main part of the image is in focus.

I think we have a good shot of the tokens already in the database. The out-of-focus cards don't necessary improve the picture.

Quote:
Know I am really confused. It is of the game, I explained it is not blurry. Cropped and Rotated who knows why.

The cards are blurry. It is your intention, but they are.
It didn't state 'cropped and rotated', but 'cropped or rotated'. Someone obviousely thought he'd approve it if you cut away the cards.

Quote:
Ok here is some other image that got past geekmod today that is blurry

I assume it got approved since the game doesn't have many pictures yet.

Quote:
One that is too way to big

He submitted 6 images for the game. All were too big. Some of them were blurry. 3 of them got accepted. But they were the first images of the game, so people tend to approve more.
In addition, i fear too many modders don't take a look at the size.

Quote:
Here are two similar ones

One one of them is too big, and should have been rejected.

Edit: Geosmores, i just too a look at your other images. Many of them great, a number of them classics. But this one just didn't work for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
It's blurry. I know about that depth of field stuff, but the stuff that's out of the field is, as you stated, out of focus. And, for me, out of focus is blurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren It is not personal at all, I am fine with the image getting turn down, especailly since I know the reason now. If I ever took it personnal I would have stopped many images ago. Sometimes and I think this time I get more fustrated with some of the stuff that makes it past geekmod that is obviously wrong (size being the most common) than with my stuff not making.

For me I will not resubmitted a different photo of that subject, because given the subject and my intent that was the best picture I could do. I only submit photos that I am 100% happy with. If others do not like that is fine, but I will not change intent / image / photo just to make someone else happy. I guess that is my I no longer an architect (hated clients).

But will my next picture of a different subject be approached different because of comments here, of course.

Take care David Namaksy

nexttothemoon wrote:
I'm not sure what others think about Geekmodding... but I see it similar to game ratings... there is a lot of subjectivity involved and if a submission gets declined, it shouldn't be taken as a personal attack. Everyone has different views on what looks good or what should/shouldn't be a session report etc.

I don't know the numbers it takes to get a particular item declined or approved but if it's a simple majority out of 5/10/20 or so then that's still better than having 1 person be the single nazi that only approves what he/she deems acceptable.

If I had something rejected I'd likely try submitting at least once again as well if I thought the picture/review etc had merit. Then like David has done... accept defeat and move on to something else or try to improve it.

If I wrote a 5000 word review and it got rejected I might be a bit pissed (which may happen someday) but I also might use that as incentive to edit out some of the extra hyperbole and improve it and resubmit. Same with a picture... take another better pic and throw it back into the lion's den for approval. You can choose to channel the irritation of being rejected and treat it as a challenge to get your work past the bastards (all of us) that are the "board of approval" here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I focused on the tokens, they should be tack sharp, I think you can see simon hunts signature. I use a f stop 4.5 on a focal length of 48mm which would gave my DOF about 4 inches.
Take care David namaksy

Randy Cox wrote:
It's blurry. I know about that depth of field stuff, but the stuff that's out of the field is, as you stated, out of focus. And, for me, out of focus is blurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Geosmores wrote:
... I think you can see simon hunts signature. ...

Actually, it is a pseudo-signature. It isn't my real one. In case you were wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually most pictures on BGG (even the ones with high approval for some odd reason) are really crappy. Too easy to get GeegGold from submitting pictures whereas actually making original content (variant rules, custom pieces, etc) is much less rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtrleone wrote:
Actually most pictures on BGG (even the ones with high approval for some odd reason) are really crappy. Too easy to get GeegGold from submitting pictures whereas actually making original content (variant rules, custom pieces, etc) is much less rewarding.

It's the way GG economy works. You gotta earn the hard way before you can tip/give it away. So rewarding 'original content (variant rules, custom pieces, etc)' is a little harder. At least there's the thumbsup.

edit: at least I learnt about DOF in photography today. Always sthg to discover on BGG. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, what is the maximum resolution of images allowed on BGG? I couldn't find it elsewhere.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghcstr wrote:
BTW, what is the maximum resolution of images allowed on BGG? I couldn't find it elsewhere.

Thanks

Hmm that is interesting, it use to be on the image submission page as no greater than 3000x2000 pixels. It is no longer there, but it is in geekmod if you put the mouse pointer over the 'Too Big' under reasons to decline.

I will add a bit of editorial here, on the computer screen 99% would not be able to tell the difference between a 1500x1000 image and 3000x2000 image. And most would not even notice if it was even lower. In fact many times an image will look much better after it is reduced in size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.