I know that the MoM rules state :

Mystery
This expansion introduces a new mechanic: “advance the active
Mystery.” Due to the complexity of Mysteries, this can result in
a number of different effects. When investigators are instructed
to advance the active Mystery, the active investigator resolves
one of the following effects that applies:
^^ If the active Mystery requires one or more tokens to be placed
on the card, place one token of that type on the card.
• Clues, Gates, and Monsters placed on the active Mystery
in this way are drawn from the Clue pool, Gate stack, and
Monster cup, respectively.
^^ If the active Mystery requires an Epic Monster to be defeated,
place two Health on the card. The Epic Monster’s toughness
is reduced by one for each Health on the active Mystery.
^^ If the active Mystery requires an investigator to spend one
or more Clues, place one Clue from the Clue pool on the
card. Any investigator may spend Clues placed on the active
Mystery when resolving an effect of that card.

But how does this apply to the following Mystery card :

Voice of Azathoth

"When an investigator would gain an Artifact, he may gain the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact instead.
At the end of the Mythos Phase, an investigator may spend Clues equal to (# of Investigators) and discard the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact to solve this Mystery"

How exactly can I advance the Mystery? Do I simply add additional Clue Tokens to the Mystery whilst waiting to gain the Artifact or something else, as it is not at all clear because the Mystery card itself doesn't actually gain any tokens whilst in play.

Whilst playing I did exactly that - added Clue Tokens, but after the losing the game I just wondered what the actual ruling should have been (wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
I know that the MoM rules state :

Mystery
This expansion introduces a new mechanic: “advance the active
Mystery.” Due to the complexity of Mysteries, this can result in
a number of different effects. When investigators are instructed
to advance the active Mystery, the active investigator resolves
one of the following effects that applies:
^^ If the active Mystery requires one or more tokens to be placed
on the card, place one token of that type on the card.
• Clues, Gates, and Monsters placed on the active Mystery
in this way are drawn from the Clue pool, Gate stack, and
Monster cup, respectively.
^^ If the active Mystery requires an Epic Monster to be defeated,
place two Health on the card. The Epic Monster’s toughness
is reduced by one for each Health on the active Mystery.
^^ If the active Mystery requires an investigator to spend one
or more Clues, place one Clue from the Clue pool on the
card. Any investigator may spend Clues placed on the active
Mystery when resolving an effect of that card.

But how does this apply to the following Mystery card :

Voice of Azathoth

"When an investigator would gain an Artifact, he may gain the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact instead.
At the end of the Mythos Phase, an investigator may spend Clues equal to (# of Investigators) and discard the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact to solve this Mystery"

How exactly can I advance the Mystery? Do I simply add additional Clue Tokens to the Mystery whilst waiting to gain the Artifact or something else, as it is not at all clear because the Mystery card itself doesn't actually gain any tokens whilst in play.

Whilst playing I did exactly that - added Clue Tokens, but after the losing the game I just wondered what the actual ruling should have been (wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome)

Reading that it seems to be the last option. You place a clue on the mystery, then an investigator will only need to spend clues equal to #investigators - 1 (the other clue comes from the mystery card) in order to solve the mystery (and discard the artifact of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
What you did sounds precisely correct.

I'm not sure why you are doubting it.

I think this issue is that the mystery card in question can be a total pain the ass. Most times it comes up, nobody can pull an artifact to save their life, so it feels unreasonably difficult to resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that you would add a clue to the mystery card, and then an investigator with the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay Artifact would only need (# of investigators - 1) clues to solve the mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies, I am glad that you seem to agree with the way I played it. I do agree that this Mystery card was a real pain, it didn't get solved as no-one had the chance to gain an Artifact.

I only doubted myself, as it didn't seem to be covered by the rules or FAQs and seemed to be somewhat ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies, I am glad that you seem to agree with the way I played it. I do agree that this Mystery card was a real pain, it didn't get solved as no-one had the chance to gain an Artifact.

I only doubted myself, as it didn't seem to be covered by the rules or FAQs and seemed to be somewhat ambiguous.

Feel free to house rule in one more possibility: if the active mystery requires an artifact, "advancing the active mystery" allows you to gain the necessary artifact.

Purists may complain about it making the game easier, but those censored artifact mysteries are simply not fun when you can't get the censored artifact for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you need an artifact, if no other opportunities present themselves, about half of the expeditions provide an artifact as a reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bending
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I think this thread should be moved to "Mountains of Madness" expansion of "Eldritch Horror".

As far as I can tell, this section is a different game (same-ish universe though) called "Mansions of Madness". Both are MoM but they are still different (apparently FFG likes to re-use acronyms)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Weird. I'm pretty sure it used to be over there - I'd like to think I would have noticed the discrepancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
apotheos wrote:
Weird. I'm pretty sure it used to be over there - I'd like to think I would have noticed the discrepancy.

This and the other thread were originally posted there, but were listed under General instead of Rules or something like that that nobody cares about. A mod decided to fix the situation by moving the threads to the correct forum, but somehow got lost.

I don't think marking these threads as "wrong forum" even works anymore because as far as BGG's system is concerned, these threads were once in the wrong forum but that problem has already been corrected, so any further reports are obviously out of date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I notified the authorities and they have fixed the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
The Wrong One wrote:

Feel free to house rule in one more possibility: if the active mystery requires an artifact, "advancing the active mystery" allows you to gain the necessary artifact.

Purists may complain about it making the game easier, but those censored artifact mysteries are simply not fun when you can't get the censored artifact for anything.

Brilliant idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.