Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
Australia
Wongawallan
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks. I've never played the L5R LCG before, but have been a distant fan of the story for a long time (read a few of the novels and some of the early stories), and have played the d20 RPG a fair bit.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting some preconstructed decks just to play casually with one or more friends, but here's the thing: I'm most interested in the storyline from the very early edition of L5R - Imperial edition I think it was? - with Yogo Junzo and Fu Leng and the first Clan war and all that. Do you think it's best to try and track down some starter decks of Imperial edition to play in this storyline? Or maybe get the Battle of Beiden Pass set? And are any of these still around, or are they super-rare out of print titles that I would have to pay hundreds of dollars for?

Thanks for your help and advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Leonard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
There were three base card sets for the Clan War story (Imperial, Emerald, and Obsidian) and there are only minor differences between the three. Starter decks for these sets still turn up on eBay from time to time and are usually pretty cheap. The starters from back then aren't really preconstructed decks, though. They contained a number of fixed cards but the rest was random, IIRC.

The two decks (Crab, Dragon) in Battle of Beiden Pass are completely preconstructed, and that set is easily found. Potomac Distribution has it in stock for $9. So that may be the way to go if you just want to give it a try.

Another option to toss out there is buying a collection on eBay. Old L5R cards do not have much value and you can often get boxes of thousands of cards for less than $100. The card design changed shortly after the end of the Clan War story, so if the pictures show the old design you should be getting cards from the period you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Stewart
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Beiden Pass. It will give you a nice idea of the flavor of the game, and if you decide to expand to later based sets in the Junzo arc (like Shadowlands, Crimson & Jade, etc.) then you will have a good start on one of the Crab Oni rush decks that were popular at the time.

Have fun. L5R is a great game and the art is fantastic. Make sure to look up some of the early Imperial Herald stories if you can find them, they will really add to your experience. Also look for some of the "Zen's Card of the Week" archives once you have spent some time with whatever set you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.