Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Space Monster
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting my holiday game order together and I want one of these behemoth games, but I can only buy one of them.

Lately, I've played a lot of medium weight games: Puerto Rico, El Grande, Tempus, and Louis XIV and I need something meaty.

I like a game that rewards long term strategy, but I prefer making tactical choices.

Also, a consideration is time, our game group meeting is 5 hours. I note that both these games can "theoretically" be completed in 5 hours, but which is more realistic?

Finally, both of these games seem to have a multi-player solitaire thing going on, which one has more interaction?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Antiquity before, so I really can't help you from that viewpoint... however I would think that you might consider Indonesia (the third meaty child of the company) for the interaction level you are looking for. The mergers create a dynamic that really prevents the "solitaire" syndrome of some meatier games. Just a thought...

Ghost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd also find useful a good answer to this interesting question. I'm not sure how many people have played both of these games, but I have wondered the same thing e.g. which is a more interactive and satisfying game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Roads & Boats the level of conflict can be adjusted by the terrain you choose to play on. Lots of sea tiles lead to lots of conflict. Lots of resources lead to less interaction.

As far as play time goes, I think R&B would fit into your 5 hour time frame in most cases. You might have to be careful about the maps you choose (or the players if any are AP prone).

I've never played Antiquity so I can't comment on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played both and am very fond of both. I prefer Antiquity, but that isn't surprising given my general preference for economic building games vs. logistics games. Still, both fine games.

Both are heavy, more than mildly fiddly games that will take most of a 5 hour session but should be completable with no problem in that time. A player in the group who likes to overanalyze things is more of a risk to that in Roads and Boats than in Antiquity, but both should be manageable.

Both reward strategic decision making (more than might seem apparent at first), but both also require a gazillion tactical level decisions over the course of the game.

Both also feel like multiplayer solitaire for the first half of the game and then, well, just don't. Roads and Boats gives more scope for aggression and negotiation in general than Antiquity does. So while neither is really the multiplayer solitaire that both have been accused of being, I would say Roads and Boats has more interaction.

But I prefer Antiquity. Brilliant management of resources problems, city building, exploiting resources on a board where they are slowly or not so slowly disappearing.

But you can't go wrong either way. Asking which is better is like asking who I'd rather date: Halle Berry or Jennifer Aniston. I would be pretty happy to play either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played both (all three if you include Indonesia).
I agree with most of what dave says, except I think Antiquity is much
quicker then the other 2, yet it has the least 'direct' interaction.

Indonesia has the most direct interaction, but it may be the longest
of the three. I would only suggest it if your group likes business
games.

Between the other two, Antiquity is the better game IMHO, (it just seems to be a more refined system, with quicker play), but almost all interaction is
indirect in nature.

Antiquity is in my top 10 games of all time, so it would be my choice,
however read my review with its warnings before purchasing Antiquity, since its clearly not a game for everyone.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/33151

Marc M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, both really good games. I slightly prefer Antiquity. However, the advantage of Roads & Boats is that you can use different maps which will have a big effect on the amount of interaction in the game and the length of the game which sounds like it is a plus for you. (Although I think Antiquity is somewhat shorter on average).

The thing I like about Antiquity is that there are different paths to victory -- in Roads and Boats, pretty much whoever produces the most stock certificates wins (although of course you can pursue more or less aggressive strategies to produce those certificates). Also, I understand that the Roads & Boats expansion gives you more ways of getting victory points, but I haven't played it.

I seriously doubt you'll be unhappy with either of these games, so flip a coin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lee
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also played both and like both, although Antiquity has been played far more. Having to wait years for Roads and Boats to be republished was not a fun thing, but yes I am very glad to now have a copy along with the expansion. My feeling is if you like one of these games you will probably like the other and want a copy.

My recommendation is to buy one of the titles now, and save quickly for the other as further reprints will be hard to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I disagree completely.

Indonesia is interesting, but a little bit quirky. The merger mechanic is not at all straightforward and the game can get very calculational towards the end.

Roads and Boats and Antiquity are both much cleaner. Almost archetypal for their style of games.

I hope I don't offend too much by calling such fiddly games clean. But Roads and Boats is all about logistics. Really no wasted mechanics.

And Antiquity is all about whatever it is about.

It's almost bizarre that the same people designed Indonesia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
I think Antiquity is the better game, but not by much.

As to multi-player solitaire: if you're playing Antiquity and it feels like multi-player solitaire, two things are happening: 1) you're one or two turns away from not feeling this way anymore and 2) you're going to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
UhhhClem wrote:
I think Antiquity is the better game, but not by much.

As to multi-player solitaire: if you're playing Antiquity and it feels like multi-player solitaire, two things are happening: 1) you're one or two turns away from not feeling this way anymore and 2) you're going to lose.

Well said.

And .... This may have been said before, but Antiquity is a much shorter game than Roads & Boats

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCorry
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my vote haveing played both that I prefer Antiquity to Roads and Boats. I like both, I just prefer Antiquity.

My biggest factor favoring Antiquity is that it has multiple paths to victory that let different players find a playing style they prefer (building, conquest, economic efficiency, etc.). Roads and Boats has one victory condition basically (produce the most stock certificates) but has the challenge of setting up the economic engine in different terrain.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Monster
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the geek entries and articles pretty thoroughly and your comments, I'm going to order Antiquities.

Thanks for your comments.

*Edit* Just ordered the dinged & dent copy from thoughthammer for $81.00. Also packaged in Mission: Red Planet and pre-ordered Battle Lore for good measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.