Jacob Brown
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I know there are a few board game resources out there to help a person find a board game group, so I'm putting this out there to gauge the level of interest, if any, in what I'm hoping to find.

While I'm definitely hoping to find a group of like-minded gamers, the thing that distinguishes my solicitation from others is that I'm a C3 quadriplegic. I cannot move any part of my body from the shoulders down, which admittedly complicates every game I play, to varying degrees, and even makes some games altogether impossible. But what can I say? I've been bitten by the board game bug, and I love to play whenever I can. Therein lies the problem, however. Either my friends aren't into it or they are too busy to play with any regularity. That's why I'm looking for a small group of gamers that not only understand my plight but would also feel comfortable playing with me and assisting me with the physical manipulation of all game components.

I've been a quadriplegic for almost 12 years now, and I've amassed a few tricks along the way. I own a few adaptive items that assist me when playing a board game. I also try to do quite a bit of research prior to purchasing a game so I can make certain that the mechanics and components of a game won't entirely exclude my participation. It's for this reason that most of the games I currently play are pure cooperatives (Defenders of the Realm, The Legend of Drizzt, Pandemic, Ghost Stories, etc.). While I'm interested in playing more pure cooperatives (Mice & Mystics, Eldritch Horror, Legends of Andor), I'm also interested in one vs. all cooperatives (Betrayal at House on the Hill, Descent, Mansions of Madness, etc.). I'm definitely open to any and all game suggestions, however – provided I can play anything suggested with relative ease.

I currently reside in a southern suburb of St. Paul (Inver Grove Heights, to be exact), and I'm just hoping to find a few gamers (3 – 4) that would be interested in playing at my house on a Saturday afternoon at least once but preferably twice a month. I consider myself to be very easy to get along with, even if most people do not share my interests (metal, horror movies, comic books, fantasy and science fiction novels, etc.). I'd also be willing to initially meet up with a few interested parties at Level Up Games in South St. Paul at least until everyone understood and became comfortable with the nuances of this rather unique gaming arrangement.

But for right now I'm just interested in seeing if there is anyone out there that would be cool with all of this. So what say you all?
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Jacob! You should consider also posting this invitation to the Mpls/St.Paul gamers thread - http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/426060/minneapolissaint-paul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Jake! Good luck with your quest to find a regular group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Jake! I'm not in your area, but would gladly play with you if I were. Thinking of the games I do play, it seems to me there are many (competitive as well as cooperative) that would be completely feasible for you to play with just someone else moving stuff at your direction, and a large number more that could be made possible with some of the minor modifications you probably already use (like racks if you have secret cards/tiles). Good luck to you with finding a group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Brown
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'll make sure to post my invitation in the suggested thread above and look at possibly wrangling up a few gamers in another corner of the inter-webs. Thanks again for just taking the time to read my little post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jake;

If you have transportation, have you considered the Marathon Game Weekends? It's a monthly thing, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at one of the hotels by the MoA. There's well over a hundred games played each time, around 80-100 people attend in all. Furthermore, as it's at a hotel, there's an elevator so you can access the room the games are in easily. The people are very friendly in my experience.

It costs $10 for the weekend - but that's not much considering the game space, and there's often a raffle or auction or something. The guy that puts it on has been doing so for a long time, and is super cool. My fiance and I go pretty much every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.