Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Super-Cube: Wolf 359 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a few pictures, but I got a giant cube and finally got to play the mission. Hopefully I'll paint the thing soon, and I just got a pulsing green light from a fellow named "try_dying_to_live" on eBay. At the moment it's not enough to light the giant cube, but I'm going to put some foil in there to reflect it more and see how that works. I wouldn't normally plug this, but it's pretty cool. He even put a little Borg symbol on the circuit board and gave a 0-point Borg Illuminator upgrade card.

Anyway, I got to play through it twice using a Federation fleet made up of ship classes that could have actually been there. Obviously, I used the Mirror Riker because he's better and wasn't actually at the battle, although the normal Ent. D might have served me better in the end.

Mirror Enterprise D (28) + M. Riker (4) + Yar (2) = 34
Excelsior (26) + Spock (4) + Photons (5) + Lojur (2) + Sulu (3) + Shelby (2)= 40
Sutherland (26) + Ransom (2) + Data (3) = 31
Constellation Class (22) + Terrell (1) = 23
Miranda (20) + Sisko (4) = 24

This was against the Cube (82) + Locutus (7) + We Are the Borg (6) + 2x Ablative Armor (20) + One (4) + Tractor Beam (7) + Cutting Beam (8) + Borg Shield Matrix (8) + Biogenic Charge (7)

Since my friends hadn't made up a Fed. fleet I went against the cube, deciding to just try to hit it a lot using Terrell to hopefully keep people alive for a while.

After an approach, the Cube decided to bust up the formation and managed to not quite kill Spock on the Excelsior with the cutting beam, due to the 4 defense dice he was getting with Shelby and Sulu. The Sutherland tried to back up and stay at Range 3 a lot, taking Ransom's action to stay alive whenever possible. I never used Data for some reason.

Eventually Spock died, and it was down to Riker and Ransom:

Riker eventually blew it up, despite burning through mission tokens to regenerate 3 hp every turn. I can't remember if Ransom survived or not.

A large part of why this mission worked was that the Borg Shield Matrix very quickly meant that the Cube was rolling 3 defense. Otherwise, it would have been very one-sided, since the damage adds up really quickly. I think I might not have been able to win had my friend used One, which she forgot about, and taken more target locks. So, since this was a build that I'd made up and she hadn't seen before, we decided to replay it now that she was more familiar with all the different cards.

I took a different approach, and she targeted Riker quite quickly, giving him a warp core breach, which I ignored.

Riker lasted longer than I anticipated, but by using fewer of the multiple-ship attacks but just sniping individual Federation ships with 6-7 dice and target locks, the Borg had it down to just Spock, who was slowly moving away trying to use his rear torpedoes. I got the cube down to as few as 3 hp once or twice, but it could always repair the crits, including a ridiculous jostled navigator. As I tried to turn around without compromising my defense, since the Exclesior had no shields left, the Cube got out of range and regenerated. Spock turned around at the very edge, with 1 hp left, and I think I got it down to 3 hp again, but then I rolled 3 evades against 4 hits, and all ended as it should.

I'm curious if others have tried the mission and what you've found. I definitely think the Borg need the Shield Matrix to have a chance, unless your opponent just brings one to three super-ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EPIC, thanks for posting this.

I'm going to have to get one of these eventually and repaint it for some EPIC scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm curious if others have tried the mission and what you've found. I definitely think the Borg need the Shield Matrix to have a chance, unless your opponent just brings one to three super-ships.

I was thinking that was specifically what the scenario called for on the Fed side -- 150 points spent on *3* ships.

Also feels like the BSM is good, but the other Borg upgrade choices are important too. Tractor Beam/Cutting Beam are probably not as important as say another BAHA.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on one of these soon though. Scenario looks fun and epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mission is 150 points with at least 3 Federation ships. You're right that the cutting beam and paraphernalia isn't all that great. It was mostly that I wanted to use as much stuff from the episode as possible rather than totally min-maxing, hence nothing newer than a Galaxy class, and when else will you ever use that thing? If I wanted to be evil I'd have used the crew fleet captain and Scavenged Parts...

Overall, the Borg build is the natural victor because of the mission tokens that let you heal, but neither side steamrolled the other, so it was pretty fun. The addition of 4 more hp definitely wouldn't have done as much as rolling 3-4 defense against each attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and a buddy of mine are planning to run this one, but to also give the cube the damage reduction of the Collective OP 3 event while upping the number of allied ships fighting it.

Not sure what then point values will be, but were looking for that huge fleet engagement feel. Might have to get a larger play area for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this!

My cube arrives this week sometime, so will have to put something similar together... May immediate feelings have been that it will die hard?! I'll experiment with different setups - including the one you used...

Pictures at those angles make it look even more epic! It really is one huge monster...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We all want to try that epic Wolf 359 battle (or the First Contact battle) with hordes of ships chipping away at the massive Borg cube, but the game really doesn't easily accomodate BIG games. 150 to 200 points on each side might be the operational limit on most games. Still it looked like a lot of fun.

It's be nice to play this at Origins as a convention event or something, maybe even a larger point version. The normal Borg are underpriced but the big cube has been pointed higher so I'm guessing this plays more evenly.

I can imagine how much fun it would be to play a series of events at Origins against the various Star Trek monsters with good scenarios (which I have trouble writing) -- Big Borg cube, Doomsday machine, Crystalline entity, Krenim Timeship, Giant Amoeba, etc.

But I'd love to see some game with a giant epic number of Fed ships fighting a giant cube like this (probably with increased stats in order to keep it alive longer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure if we make the cube overly hard and the allied ships get wiped, thats "wave 1" of the federation defense and another wave is made from whatever ships are left.

Might be a way to do it, have multiple waves of ships arrive rather than just swarm it with a ton of models that will make playing a round tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the cube draws tokens off ships that it can use to regenerate, a second wave would continue to juice it more than ships staying in the fight would, but I like the idea. Because there's only one Borg ship to move though, the rounds weren't long at all. It's just Federation goes, Cube goes and then shoots, then take a bunch of simple pot-shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be happy if could get my cube onto the mounting pegs....great report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakester wrote:
Would be happy if could get my cube onto the mounting pegs....great report.

Are they not space properly like DS9?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try rotating the cube around. It should work on any side, since they cleverly made a triangle of slightly longer pegs. Because they're not quite centered and don't look even to the eye it keeps them from being too noticeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.