Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is a deck that I built when I only had a single core set:

Single Core Kate

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (17)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Infiltration (Core Set)
2x Modded (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)
3x Tinkering (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
2x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set) •••
1x Grimoire (Core Set) ••
2x The Personal Touch (Core Set)

Resource (5)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
2x Sacrificial Construct (Core Set)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Battering Ram (Core Set)
2x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
2x Mimic (Core Set) ••

Program (9)
2x Datasucker (Core Set) ••
2x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
2x Net Shield (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set) ••••• •

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Core Set

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I still only have the one core set, but I have bought the three deluxe expansions plus a handful of data packs.

When I played it, the biggest problem was that sometimes I simply wouldn't draw the ice breakers I needed. So, I am definitely planning to swap in three copies of Self Modifying Code (and possibly a couple of Clone Chips for if my breakers or Magnum Opus get trashed). I'm thinking this will mean I don't need the Armitage Codebusting anymore then - since I will be able to tutor for Magnum Opus. I suspect this also means I don't need Tinkering anymore - and likely not Modded (as I suspect it's not compatible with using Self Modifying Code?)

That frees up some card slots - though no influence. Is Mimic still my best choice to break Sentries? If I had access to Dinosaurus, I'd definitely keep it, but I don't so I'm wondering if there are better options (though it would be the target of Personal Touch when drawn, for a somewhat similar effect). Is there anything decent in-faction? I didn't see any obvious choices. To use Dagger, I'd need reliable stealth credits - and I just don't have the MU to start using Cloaks, I don't think. I've also considered Femme Fatale since that's the same influence cost - but it's really expensive. What about a set of Atman for multipurpose breaking? I suspect they'd let me drop to one copy each of the "regular" ice breakers so that would still give me a few card slots to play with.

I realize this is a very basic deck, but it has been working okay for learning the game - which is my main goal at the moment. I'll get to the fancy stuff later. (I love a pile of cards in Order and Chaos, but don't have Keyhole which seems to be a pretty core card in those decks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am by no means a great Netrunner. But I want to just highlight something I think is very important in this game.

Find your own style.

A lot of the deckbuilding in this game is swapping out tools to cover your weaknesses after finding those weaknesses.

That being said... I think with Infiltration and 2 copies of netshield you might be a little too worried about traps. Shapers can often just use card draw to recover and recusion to yoink back the breakers they have lost but still need.

I would suggest you swap the infiltrations for some of the economy events from C&C. Dirty laundry and Daily Casts. Using SMC to fetch a magnum opus costs you a LOT of tempo and the biggest challenge for shapers is often being enough of a threat early in the game for the corp to not just get so far ahead that they can win out later while you scrabble for your first few points.

Battering Ram is tricky, its not a bad breaker, but the 2 mu cost can hurt. You could probably drop the akamatsu if you switch to a 1 mu fractor.

Lastly and this is another piece of advice rather than anything else. It seems the best runner decks actually make a choice towards ineficient breaking of one ice type, just so they can get a huge leg up on others.

If you can lock down R&D you dont have to worry if there is a tolbooth on a remote that you actually cant break at all. This is something I still struggle to include in my own decks. I play mostly exile, which gets me access to a few interesting tricks .... but many of them are still too focused on breaking everything. My decks are often one or two turns too slow to truly break my opponent.

Top tip though... Have lots of fun, play lots of games... and play a few with a deck before you change it. Make sure the thing you want to change was not just a bad draw in that specific match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! The Net Shield + Infiltration happened primarily because this was a single core deck, so there were only so many cards available that didn't cost influence.

I've edited it a bit to include some of the new cards. Currently, the deck looks like:

Single Core Kate - Updated

Event (17)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Indexing (Future Proof)
3x Infiltration (Core Set)

Hardware (11)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Cyberfeeder (Core Set) ••
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Icebreaker (6)
3x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Battering Ram (Core Set)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (11)
1x Djinn (Core Set) ••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Creation and Control

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

You're right that the 2 MU requirement for Battering Ram hurts if I don't find the Grimoire (which I can't add a second copy of because I don't yet have a second core set) or at least the Djinn to host the Parasites and Datasuckers. I'm hoping that the Atmans might mean that I often don't need the Battering Ram or even get me to the point of being able to give up the Mimic to free up some influence. Can you really get away with only being able to break ice of a few specific strengths though? I'll find that out by playing with the deck, I suppose.

Since I don't have as much familiarity with the card pool, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious card that I should try out (especially on the icebreaker front).

Also, what strengths are usually best for Atman? I've read that 0, 2, 4 can be good? Or 0, 4, 6? I realize it's going to be situational - but I don't have enough experience with all the ice in the game to known the most common strengths yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking your advice about the Battering Ram's MU consumption, I swapped Djinn for Corroder so that I could drop the Battering Ram. That freed up one card slot and I dropped one Infiltration for a second, allowing me to pop two copies of Professional Contacts in the deck. (Or would one Professional Contacts and one Kati Jones be better? I was thinking two copies of the card helps with consistency.)

Event (16)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
2x Infiltration (Core Set)

Hardware (11)

Resource (2)
2x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (10)

45 cards (min 45)

Would it make sense to replace something with one or more Omni-Drives to help with the MU situation? Or maybe Magnum Opus is a bad choice for economy given the MU demands of the Datasuckers and Parasites? Replace it with Kati Jones? Or Daily Casts? Or both? (Replacing the Infiltrations as well - which currently double as money and/or info depending on the situation.) That would give me:

Event (14)
3x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (11)
2x Omni-Drive (Creation and Control)

Resource (6)
2x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (8)

45 cards (min 45)

If I had a second core set, I'd replace one Parasite with a second Grimoire to make it more likely that I'd get to max MU. That's not currently an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, with Kati and Pro Contacts and Magnum you are running into a tricky thing. The third Kati and Pro contacts means you will draw those cards earlier. That means you have more time to use them. All that piles into ... if you are running either of those.... you probably wanna run 3.

In this case... you have opus and lots of event econ as well. I would suggest you try it out without kati and with an extra Profesional Contacts.
Maybe add the 3rd Daily Casts as well.

That leads into most of your economy being triggered from a single click and drawing being part of your economy. Nice bit of synergy there.

If you prefer your economy not relying on card draws... you can try someting focused on Opus and Kati where you do whatever you can to get those early and then slow down the card draw quite a bit.

Hmmm..... you have me at a disadvantage ... I only have 2 cores... but I do have all the datapacks. So I have access to quite a few console possibilities. I also usually play with ... shall we call it a rotating rig? The pieces come and go... so MU is usually less of a concern for me.

OK, OK .. so... lets look at what else you have going on... You have a TON! of R&D multiaccess. Cool... R&D access wins games... a lot. So ... essentially, you mostly want to get into R&D again and again as cheaply as possible. Datasucker will help a lot with that. And it will help narrow down you atman choices. You can always lower the ice strength down to match your atman. Femme can help with that as well... if there is a Tollbooth on R&D it makes gordian sad... and if you break it twice with gordian for 7 ... you have paid more than bypassing it twice and installing the femme. Femme also really benefits from datasuckers a lot.
So you have a good setup to support her.

I think thats actually possibly already too many changes between plays for a single deck. You should probably try it out with some or all of these and see what happens.

As for people not beaing able to break everything... well.. you dont have to break ice thats too expensive to rez or will die instantly to a datasucker. You can make a dangerous run on a central to force an expensive rez and then hit the remote... sure you might not be able to break the ice thats facedown, you might put the corp in a spot where he cant rez it. This is part of the beauty of this game... there are many many ways to get past the corp's defences.

Have more fun... let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to chime in and say that your core-only deck was very impressive. I'm not sure I'd have been able to make such a viable deck with core only cards when I just started.

I agree that 2 infiltrates is plenty. 3 seems like overkill unless your meta is very Jinteki PE or trap heavy.
I also like how your deck has grown into something like the traditional Katman deck, but with more parasite support.

You are correct about Opus. With SMC and enough copies, you're likely to have either an opus or a tutor for one on turn one (plus or minus a mulligan).
But what others have said here is best: find what you like to play and refine it. Ultimately your ability to play a good deck well will trump someone else's ability to badly play a netdecked tourney winner.

Two big thumbs up to the massive RnD multiaccess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.