Jeff B
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
I saw copy of the 2nd edition of Forgotten Heroes: Vietnam a couple of weeks ago at a local gaming store and it really piqued my interest. However, I decided to buy Fire in the Lake and Space Empires 4x that day--I figured I would do some research before buying FH.

So, a couple of weeks later, after some research, I decided that I really wanted to buy this game and returned to the same store to pick up a copy. The problem, though--someone apparently bought the last copy since then, and the distributor doesn't carry it anymore. I did, however, notice a copy of Lock n' Load: Heroes of the Blitzkrieg.

Blitzkrieg looked interesting, but what really attracted me to FH Vietnam is that it is a solitaire-friendly, squad-level game set in the Vietnam War. While there are plenty of great games set in WW2, I really want a couple of good Vietnam-set games. Fire in the Lake is supposed to be really good, but I want at least one squad-level Vietnam game too.

So, my main question is: How do FH Vietnam and Blitzkrieg compare and contrast, other than the obvious different settings? I prefer the Vietnam setting of FH, but if Blitzkrieg is as good or better, I might be willing to buy it. I will probably be playing it mostly as a solitaire game (playing both sides). Besides, although there are a plethora of good WW2 games, this one seems pretty unique, in that it's about the French and Belgians against the Germans. It looks like FH can still be obtained online, but it will likely cost more and take more effort to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they both use the same system, they are just different time periods. I would go with the time period you like the best. IMHO there both awesome.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Wolski
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have great expansions:

FH -> Anzac Attack
HOTB -> In Defeat, Defiance

Also, the HOTB maps are used in the Heroes of the Gap expansion Honneur et Patrie.

You can't go wrong either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
gwolski wrote:
Both games have great expansions:

FH -> Anzac Attack
HOTB -> In Defeat, Defiance

Also, the HOTB maps are used in the Heroes of the Gap expansion Honneur et Patrie.

You can't go wrong either way!

Both are good. If you like Modern warfare FHII is pretty sweet.
Which edition was it? The reprint or first printing of FHII? Different finish on maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Farrell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have all the LNL series games and expansions except Not One Step Back. It makes me mad that I missed that one. Forgotten Heroes is by far my favorite. It is the most fun Vietnam game I have. I bought HotB just so I could use the maps for Honneur et Patrie but I will eventually play the scenarios in that expansion as well. I like Band of Heroes and expansions but what I have always liked the best about this series is the other wars. There aren't many games out there about the Rangers in Somolia or the Falklands War. They all play well solitare. Unfortunately it's a while since anything new has come out but the Pacific and North Africa games should be out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
jhfarrell wrote:
I have all the LNL series games and expansions except Not One Step Back. It makes me mad that I missed that one. Forgotten Heroes is by far my favorite. It is the most fun Vietnam game I have. I bought HotB just so I could use the maps for Honneur et Patrie but I will eventually play the scenarios in that expansion as well. I like Band of Heroes and expansions but what I have always liked the best about this series is the other wars. There aren't many games out there about the Rangers in Somolia or the Falklands War. They all play well solitare. Unfortunately it's a while since anything new has come out but the Pacific and North Africa games should be out soon.

LOF magazine has a edition with several new Vietnam scenarios too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff B
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up ordering a copy of 2nd edition FH: Vietnam, but it sure wasn't cheap, and it looks like I found one of the last available copies out there from online retailers. This one is very hard to find, as are the other games in the Lock n' Load series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.