Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Several questions revolving around Quebec:

1) Since the check for control of Quebec occurs before the Random Events Phase, if Quebec is lost to the Rebels the player has a turn to recapture it before suffering the Liberty penalty, do I have that right?

2) After Quebec is Invaded (14/3), 2D6 are rolled for the Random Event starting next turn. Let's say I roll snake eyes ('2') - does another invasion of Quebec occur, or is it just once per game?

What if Quebec is Rebel controlled, is another roll of '2' considered "No Event" or does the player still have to send a 4 strength naval unit abroad?

3) Quebec is Rebel controlled with two Continental Army units, who subsequently both fail their re-enlistment rolls - so Quebec is uncontrolled (seems rather odd)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Several questions revolving around Quebec:

1) Since the check for control of Quebec occurs before the Random Events Phase, if Quebec is lost to the Rebels the player has a turn to recapture it before suffering the Liberty penalty, do I have that right?

Yes.

Steve Carey wrote:
2) After Quebec is Invaded (14/3), 2D6 are rolled for the Random Event starting next turn. Let's say I roll snake eyes ('2') - does another invasion of Quebec occur, or is it just once per game?

It can theoretically re-occur multiple times (at least until French intervention). The Rebels had no interest in France (even as an ally) re-entering the picture in Canada (and the French didn't seem to have much interest either) -- so that front "shuts down" upon Intervention. Quebec's presence as a path of invasion into New York is obliquely shown by the player being able to "retreat to sea" from "The Frontier" (optional rule: Retreat to Sea 8/11).

Steve Carey wrote:
What if Quebec is Rebel controlled, is another roll of '2' considered "No Event" or does the player still have to send a 4 strength naval unit abroad?

Interesting question, I don't think this situation was ever considered. I would guess Ben would want the Quebec "invasion" to be cancelled, but the SOL still to be diverted -- I don't think those two events were "tied together".

Steve Carey wrote:
3) Quebec was invaded and captured by two Continental Army units, who then both fail there re-enlistment checks next turn, thereby abandoning the location. So Quebec is uncontrolled (seems rather odd)?

Quebec is British controlled if empty (13.5). The French Catholics didn't care for either side, but they really disliked the Rebels. The off-board British positions near the mouth of the St. Lawrence are impregnable (in game terms) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful, thanks Wes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBreaker wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

Interesting question, I don't think this situation was ever considered. I would guess Ben would want the Quebec "invasion" to be cancelled, but the SOL still to be diverted -- I don't think those two events were "tied together".

Wes is (as usual) correct -- the possibility was never considered! I will have to make a note of this in the 2nd edition rules. Wes' instinct as to what my opinion would be is also correct. It would be treated as "no event," unless of course control of Quebec were divided in which case the 'invasion' event would simply pour more Rebel reinforcements into the already-existing Quebec campaign.

Perhaps the 3rd paragraph in 14/3 should read:

"If Quebec is British-controlled or contains any British units, and a Rebel invasion is launched (by a random event: 15/1), follow this procedure..."

Do you both think that would solve the problem? Make your suggestions and I'll put the revised rule into the book.

The other event on a roll of 2 (Ships of the Line sent abroad) is totally unrelated to the Quebec adventure and would still occur regardless.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
It would be treated as "no event," unless of course control of Quebec were divided in which case the 'invasion' event would simply pour more Rebel reinforcements into the already-existing Quebec campaign.

Perhaps the 3rd paragraph in 14/3 should read:

"If Quebec is British-controlled or contains any British units, and a Rebel invasion is launched (by a random event: 15/1), follow this procedure..."

I don't see how Quebec can be "divided" (presumably containing both sides units) at the beginning of a random events phase. I would just drop the "or contains any British units" clause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBreaker wrote:
I don't see how Quebec can be "divided" (presumably containing both sides units) at the beginning of a random events phase. I would just drop the "or contains any British units" clause.

You're right. Will do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
GameBreaker wrote:

You're right. Will do!

Oops, Wes is not always right -- I forgot the timing of the Naval Transport rule. Since Quebec is the exception to the "No Naval Transport to a Rebel-occupied County" rule, Quebec can indeed be "divided" during random events. Your original viewpoint (and wording) was correct -- sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.