Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The light from the chandelier in my dining room, where the gaming happens, washes out photographs horribly. At this point, I'm try to take all of my pictures while the sun is out, as everything else looks terrible.

For comparison, we started a game of Spyrium at night, and finished it the next day. You can see the difference between artificial and natural lighting of the same game in these photos:

Other than replacing the light bulbs with something totally different, is there some way to correct for this? The filters/effects on my cell phone's camera don't seem to improve things much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse West
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White balance. It corrects the color balance of the photo based on the lighting.

It should be in most digital camera settings (phones sadly don't have it most times).

Set your white balance for tungsten lighting when shooting indoors with light bulbs. Set for cloudy or shade for natural light indoors.

You can also digitally edit the photo. You want to adjust the color temperature. Cool for more blue, warm for more orange/red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismattic wrote:
...cell phone's ...

Use it just to talk to distant people.

Get a camera. Digital will do. Read the instructions. Better photos will appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismattic wrote:
The light from the chandelier in my dining room, where the gaming happens, washes out photographs horribly.

Other than replacing the light bulbs with something totally different, is there some way to correct for this?

I use strong natural light, and wouldn't even attempt shooting in artificial light.

Here's how I usually shoot:

I'd rather shoot in pitch black and use the flash!

Quote:
The filters/effects on my cell phone's camera don't seem to improve things much.

I've shot some clever photographs using a cellphone. But prefer my crappy 2 megapixel camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Schopman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Normally you'd use the whitebalance settings on the camera (or shoot in RAW); With a cell phone you could try correcting the whitebalance using software (like lightroom).

A way better option is using a real camera. This will also let you chose a shorter shutter speed. Which will make the pictures less blurry.

With a real camera, you get a piece of equipment that lets you change many other things to improve the pictures, like underexposing manually en adding a flash to light only the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixing this really just takes a camera app that lets you change the white balance (and set it to tungsten for light bulb light). There's plenty of camera apps around for your Android phone. A quick google reveals this list from last September.

A better camera doesn't automatically make better pictures indeed. Today's cell phones have cameras that are starting to get better than the compact cameras of five years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Prismattic wrote:
...cell phone's ...

Use it just to talk to distant people.

Get a camera. Digital will do. Read the instructions. Better photos will appear.

Yah, I second the motion.

As others have said, you need to adjust for white balance, and your shutter speed is WAY to slow for both shots (they are both blurry when viewed at full resolution-- I would've declined both shots had I seen them in geekmod).

The more time you put into each individual shot (both shooting and post processing), the better each one will be. Of course, there are limits for every person on how long they will take for a picture for the 'geek. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann Th.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't set white balance, you can always changes to some extend in a postprocessing software (either computer or an app)

In just a few seconds you can get this result from your first image(I used the app snapseed):

But I agree with the others, best is to set it correctly from the start with a digital camera and results will be better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Ideally you'd have a camera that allows you to save a raw image file so you can change the white balance fully afterwards. Correcting white balance from a jpg isn't ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.