Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks interesting from the tiny bit I have gleaned from BGG and some Essen information. Has anyone played it? Any details about it you can share?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just played once, It reminded me Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord with characters trying to make personal and shared quests, moving between locations. Though Anima doesn't have the dungeon crawl component: characters move between locations choosen from the ones on the table or drawing new ones (from the location deck or from the location discards deck).

The characters (maximum 4 for player) have 2 main attributes: Combat and Speed and they try to defeat monsters and complete quests (rolling dice). They can cast spell/use abilities (cards in hand) according to up to three skill slots: Magic, Subterfuge and Ki.

Some characters can have high attributes but have few skills (or even none). Some characters, like the Rogue, have special abilities activated by turning the card 90°: steal a card from another player hand.

Although Anima have some auto-balance system (like peril points in Dungeoneer) since Monster Level needs to meet Max Level for Locations, however, I noticed that things can go out of control very easily (or I was very unlucky with some draws -- ouch! got Omega 2 times in a game!!)

Another balance system is that when a player has too many cards (usually max hand is 5) decides to discard to make room for potentially more useful cards, the player with less cards can take the discards. The same happens with dismissed characters.

And of course, the illustrations are really wonderful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it but haven't played. I have left some thoughts on the "personal comments", but mainly I'm a bit dissapointed after opening the box and looking at it.

Some artwork is truly good, but overall the Art-Design is flawed: dark images are very dark and lose detail, some images are of bad quality (there's a monster which resembles a goat XD), and I don´t like the mixing of artists styles. The game artwork looks unconnected and random. Here a surrealistic monster, here a realistic character, here a sorceress with big boobies, here a stupid goat (XD)...

The quality of the cards is very low: weak cardboard which NEEDS deck sleeves.

This game is based upon a Roleplaying game (Anima RPG), and seems to me that this is a cheap design with the only intention to gather all the Roleplaying concepts (the characters are the RPG's clases, the locations are the RPG's locations, and even the abilities: Ki, Magic, and so on...). This is my impression from reading the rules, as they seem unoriginal, fast written and too random.

I want to test it to confirm this, maybe I'm wrong, but probably not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a four player game of Anima and thought it was pretty fun for what it is.

It's essentially a quest game in the same vein as Runebound, Dungeoneer or Talisman.

As many have said before the Artwork is the big draw that makes this one stand out.

Mechanics are very simple and most of the cards are fairly clear upon first play. There are a lot of rules, but after a few plays you get the hang of it.

How this game is better than others in the genre, is the way you can slow down your opponents if they get to far in front of you. Some of the card combos can be entertaining and the turn sequence is such that there isn't a lot of downtime a la Runebound. It did have the Final Fantasy feel to it as well.

My one complaint is that the encounter deck is just not big enough...hopefully and expansion will fix this.

The game is a little long for what it is too. If you like light hack and slash with some anime thrown in...this one's for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just played a four player game last night. As you ply you travel to various location cards and roll a die. What you roll determines what encounter you have at the location. After successfully completing the encounter you can take one of the rewards listed on the location card. These vary from location to location. One of these rewards is recruiting new members to your party.

Party members have three main stats. Combat value, Speed and a class. The sum of your party members combat values is your base damage, likewise with speed. Class determines what cards a character can play.

It was quite a bit of fun and didn't take too long to learn and play. The cards and character combos can be quite a bit fun as are some of the encounters and locations. There is a fairly high luck component to it, both in dice rolls and card draws.

I did have a few issues with it, most of which can be fixed with a single good expansion. It didn't feel like there were enough cards. The decks cycled too quickly. If you're unlucky as to which mission you draw and what locations start in play, you'll start behind the other players, but this didn't seem insurmountable with a little luck.

The one problem that can't be easily fixed with an expansion is the card design. Some of the cards can be quite difficult to read and keeping cards in the right deck can be difficult.

All in all, a pretty fun game I wouldn't mind playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a four-person game last night and enjoyed it. My daughter especially liked it. It wasn't too hard to get the hang of it, though my wife, usually a good gamer, struggled with some of the concepts. I liked the art work a lot, but as a previous person said, it seemed badly printed, with an overabundance of dark cards that seemed to obscure the characters. Not always easy to read the cards either. But we had a good time and will most likely play again. I agree that it needs more cards for some of the decks, and the rules about winning could be more clear.

I would probably rate it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:

The quality of the cards is very low: weak cardboard which NEEDS deck sleeves.

In my deck the edges seem to be scratched or in some cases the text is like they were running out of ink in the printer...

But the art is excellent.A step away from the pokemon-clones and WoW cartoonie style and the generic Magic.

But it is a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.