9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: New to the game needing some help with builds! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G S
msg tools
Greetings everyone.

So, I'm new to the game and I got destroyed in my first plays.
I know that my decision making probably influenced in some of my losses, but still I thought I could've done better with the ships I have.

The group I play with usually plays with 100 or 150 points, so could you guys give me some build help based on the ships I have?

I have YT-1300, X-Wing, E-Wing and Z-95 Headhunter. (one of each)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does your group accept proxies for cards that you do not have, or could you borrow cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatten a Han and Corran. That's your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Blum
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I assume the ships you listed was in addition to a core set? A Falcon with some X-Wings/Z95's is a great build. I would recommend that you keep practicing with what you've got so far. Also, check out the online squad builders. They list what expansion the different upgrade cards come from that you would be interested in playing with. (IMO a couple of B-Wings and Rebel Aces would be a good way for you to expand next.) I also found some YouTube videos VERY helpful in learning some of the strategy of the game, especially when it comes to asteroid placement. Hope this helps, and 'fly casual'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
msg tools
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Does your group accept proxies for cards that you do not have, or could you borrow cards?

Yes, they do accept proxies.

DanielFirestorm wrote:
Fatten a Han and Corran. That's your best bet.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind!

jkblum wrote:

I assume the ships you listed was in addition to a core set? A Falcon with some X-Wings/Z95's is a great build. I would recommend that you keep practicing with what you've got so far. Also, check out the online squad builders. They list what expansion the different upgrade cards come from that you would be interested in playing with. (IMO a couple of B-Wings and Rebel Aces would be a good way for you to expand next.) I also found some YouTube videos VERY helpful in learning some of the strategy of the game, especially when it comes to asteroid placement. Hope this helps, and 'fly casual'.

The X-Wing I listed is from the core set already, sorry for the confusion
But I'll look some Youtube videos, that seems like a good idea!

Thanks everyone, if anyone else has more to say to help me, please do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming access to a core set, I would go with something like:

Han, Luke, Millennium Falcon
Corran, R2-D2, Marksmanship, Engine Upgrade

Honestly, without access to Push the Limit, that Corran Engine Upgrade could easily be moved over to the Falcon, (or even turned into Chewbacca), but I always feel handicapped when i can't boost with an E-Wing (especially nice for those turns where you want to do a green for R2, but also want to get away and reload.

Note that Marksanship is a lot better than Focus on Corran when he takes two shots in one turn, because it can affect both of them. Do the double-shot, regen shields with R2, circle around for another pass when you're full, etc.

You probably want to Evade a lot with the Falcon, since if you miss, Luke has a mini-Focus, but obviously it will depend on the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the 150 point level, look into some of the ships that affect everyone around them. Ships like Biggs, Etahn, and Kagi really get better mileage at that point.

Also, check out http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/tourneys. This is where store championship lists get uploaded for gathering statistics. You can see all the winning lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xadus Suilon
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I made lists for my preferences for each match type. I will say I strongly recommend picking up some more ships though.

to work better with what you have I would prioritize:
-Awing or Imperial Aces for PTL
-Bwing because bwings are awesome and FCS will is great on Corran Horn.

keep in mind this is using only what I had available with the expansions you said you had and that is a big limiting factor.

for the 100pts:
Chewbacca — YT-1300 42
Luke Skywalker 7
Shield Upgrade 4
Millennium Falcon 1

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing 25

Airen Cracken — Z-95 Headhunter 19
Veteran Instincts

for 150:
Chewbacca — YT-1300 42
Luke Skywalker 7
Nien Nunb 1
Shield Upgrade 4
Millennium Falcon 1

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing 25

Etahn A'baht — E-Wing 32
Draw Their Fire 1
Advanced Sensors 3
R2-D2 4
Shield Upgrade 4

Airen Cracken — Z-95 Headhunter 19
Veteran Instincts 1
Engine Upgrade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
msg tools
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.
I'll try the builds you guys gave to me with a friend before playing with the group and I'll see what suits my playstyle better.

At the moment I'm trying to avoid buying new ships but by the looks I'm gonna have to get some if I want to strengthen my Rebel squad. Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.