9 Posts

Space Alert: The New Frontier» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overlord - wrong points? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
m b
msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there any errata for the Overlord points? If it reaches Z, it crushes the ship, so it's impossible to survive it, but it's points are 4/8. Also, it is practically as hard to kill as Super Carrier (similar speed/life/shield), but if destroyed you get only 8 points instead of 16. The only difference is that it gives you no damage before Z.... still, it doesn't seem fair. If no erratas, does it make sense to you guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Overlord is one of the threats that calls in another threat. All of these threats have lower points - but remember that if you defeat them before they call in their extra threat, you get the points for the never-seen threat too! (And if the extra threat does appear, you can kill it and earn the points that way, of course.)

If the threat you draw for the Overlord to call in is also a red threat, then defeating the Overlord + its friend is worth 16 points, just like defeating the Super Carrier.

Another example of this reduced points pattern is the Sealed Capsule, a normal threat that calls in another normal threat and is worth 0 points on its own. The idea is that you get the points for the thing inside the capsule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you might survive by leaving before it reaches Z. Other than that point I don't really have anything to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
by the red threads there are 5 that brings you new threads and all of them have reduced points
but what I think is strange is that in my german version the Super-Carrier has also only 4/8 and the oszillation Battleship has 6/12 witch is really strange. Can someone with an english version check what is correct.
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Weber
Germany
Wöllstein
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Well, you might survive by leaving before it reaches Z. Other than that point I don't really have anything to add.
A threat only counts as survived if it reaches Z. If it's still on the trajectory when you jump back, you don't get any points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Weber
Germany
Wöllstein
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ state that some of the red threats, including the Overlord, have different points because they call in other threats. The fact that it also can't be survived was probably overlooked even in the FAQ answer.

In either case, the number of points is only relevant if you survive it, which you can't. The card could have 9001/8 on it and nothing would change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m b
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your replies.

SevenSpirits wrote:
All of these threats have lower points

Yes but none is as deadly...

Jack Spirio wrote:
in my german version the Super-Carrier has also only 4/8 and the oszillation Battleship has 6/12

"Super-carrier" is 8/16 in my english version; not sure what is the "oszillation Battleship", but it sounds like the "Phasing Man-of-War" and is also 8/16. That is corroborated in the FAQ that Max reminded us to check. But now that you mentioned it, my "Seeker" is 6/15, which is unusual, no other threat has 15 points, and the FAQ doesn't mention that...

Fenhl wrote:
The FAQ state...

Good point, it's always good to check the FAQ before asking things. Even if it sounds weird, they are very explicit in reinforcing the Overlord points, so that's final. Although....

Fenhl wrote:
The card could have 9001/8 on it

I know it doesn't matter. It's just that, since the 4 (or any other value than a dash) was obviously a printing mistake, it could be an indicative that the whole points part of the card was wrong; at least that is what caused me to be uncertain about it.
But thanks for that; besides having the factual FAQ as a definitive answer, it seems everyone agrees with the card giving 8 points, so I'm good with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, yeah the FAQ would be a good place to look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Weber
Germany
Wöllstein
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msbarrios wrote:
But now that you mentioned it, my "Seeker" is 6/15, which is unusual, no other threat has 15 points, and the FAQ doesn't mention that...
This is because destroying a seeker knocks you out (-2) and disables your battlebots (-1). Of course, that first part can be avoided by using the advanced Special Ops ability, giving you an effective bonus of 14 points for destroying the seeker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.