Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Abyss» Forums » General

Subject: Would I enjoy Abyss as a fan of Cathala's lighter games? Would I love it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Campaña Lewis
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
When this game came out, the amount of "mehh" from reviewers stopped me from buying it.

Last night I was playing Dice Town (which is probably my favorite game) and remembered how awesome B. Cathala's games are. Jamaica, Dice Town and Mr Jack are definitely in my top 10 list.

Would I like Abyss or is it very different from the games I mentioned in terms of player interaction and fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garner

Summerville
South Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Abyss. The art work is fantastic and the variety of plays is there. You never know what cards will come out. It's a light game. Not long to play. The pearls for currency is a cool idea. The only bad thing is the monster track. We never seam to get it up to getting a key, everyone wants pearls. There are some suggestions on the forums here to help that.
I play Dice Town and really like it, I have the expansion too. Jamaica is a fun game too, I enjoyed it for the first time 2 weeks ago. Glad I bought it.
I would say buy Abyss. Or at least try it first at a game group. It was an automatic buy for me when it first came out, I love beautiful looking games with easy mechanics and variety of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija Opašić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amount of "mehh" reviews are coused by big expectations. Most of reviewers thought that the game will be heavier than it is.

I didn't play any of your mentioned Cathala games but Abyss is amazing light game with enough options and strategy that won't overhelm anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I love Bruno Mr. Jack and Five Tribes are awesome! But something that impresses me about his games are how different that they are from one another.
But perhaps you should think more about if the mechanics are interesting. Abyss is a set collection game in which you look for good opportunities and combos. If this sounds appealing I would get it.

I like the game and want to own it, but I'm also able to wait until I make a large coolstuff order so I get it at a discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how a Cathala enthusiast could go wrong with Abyss. I for one, love the game. Enough depth to entertain more experienced gamers, but still offers a quick and easy to learn game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1318784/abyss-review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it better than Dice Town (which drags on too long for me). If anything Abyss feels a little short for me.

I don't like it as much as Jamaica, but Jamaica is pretty awesome.

I think you'd like it if you like light to mid euros with an interesting theme. It is by no means thematic, but for me there is enough there to enjoy the game on a more than pure abstract level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try it out. no one can tell you if you love a game or not expect of yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.