Hide
6 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cost of death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vincent shen
msg tools
Im not sure whether i'm the 1st player in China but i think im the 1st one to question here, i hope someone can help.

When i play the game with my friends, they destroy their ship (no cargo and mission) intentionally many times to avoid being attacked. They went through or into planet shield ,astroid,or debris to make themselves "dead" to run away from a dangrous opponent ship, remove bounty, damage and prevent other players to get the bounty money. The only cost for them is just skip one round even nothing for tier 1 ship!

So is it a Bug or it's a strategy?

Thank you very much in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it is a strategy of a sort, and I don't see anything against it in the rules. But typical damage for failing these types of suicides is 1-10. Even a maximum attack won't kill a healthy ship in one turn unless they're in a Debris Field. And there's a 50% chance they'll pass their check and not take any damage at all. So while they're taking 2-3 turns trying to kill themselves you complete your cargo run and get a point, or blow them up and get a point and their bounty, or flip an explore token and get a point.

And as a strategy it really only works painlessly for a level 1 ship. So, if they're dedicated to it they're going to delay upgrading. Meanwhile you upgrade to a level 2 ship as quickly as possible and take full advantage of your increased space and energy while they're blowing themselves up. Win a couple of games and their strat won't seem so clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So dying causes you to lose the rest of your turn, lose active missions, jettison cargo, skip a turn for Tier II and Tier III ships (though we prefer to use a house rule where you lose FPs rather than turns). You also pop up in a completely random spot on the board.

Other than that, you do get all energy back, rearm all of your markers, lose damage, and lose bounties. And if you had no missions or cargo, it's true that you don't suffer too many losses.

So yeah, dying could be a viable tactic in certain instances. But I would absolutely say that I don't think it's a particularly good long-term strategy to use against players who are spending their actions to buy and sell cargo, attack ships, upgrade their ships, and other activities that are getting them fame points. I just don't see how you could repeatedly kill yourself throughout the game and remain competitive against players who are not.

Losing the rest of your current turn, wasting actions to kill yourself, and potentially losing your next turn are all potentially debilitating. And keeping yourself flying a Tier I ship throughout the game to avoid losing a turn would also not be a good idea when everyone else has upgraded ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a strategy but it's not a very good one. Simply having a shield is a better strategy, because combat isn't extremely effective. If they have only played a handful of times, then I can understand the fear is still there for them... but once they experience enough games, they should reach the conclusion that rarely is it in your best interest to lose a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Void
United States
Shepherdstown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as (attempted) suicide from asteroids/debris and so on, as mentioned above the odds don't favor it; however going into the sun is instant, so I might suggest making a house rule that intentionally flying into the sun isn't allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan Young
msg tools
mbmb
I would rule it similar to if a player dies due to slow leaks ability.

If they die running away from you (intentionally or not) That should be equivalent to you killing them.
I guess you could make it something like: if a player dies in a turn following being attacked, due to an external force the kill is assigned to the person (or NPC) who attacked them last in the previous turn.

Atleast this way it will harder for them to die without benefiting someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.