Council of Verona: Corruption» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Small Corruption Preview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Funk
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR: Get this. It's easy enough to not include if you love the base game, but opens the game up to SO MANY other types gamers if included.

I was fortunate enough to get a preview copy of the Corruption expansion. While I don't normally request these types of things (since I don't often do reviews like this), I couldn't pass up the opportunity to preview an expansion for such a great little game.

I'll start off by saying that I LOVE the CoV base game. I find it elegant and fun. I like planning the best way to complete my objectives KNOWING the potential plays others might use against me. And while I enjoy the bluffing, I typically don't even play with Poison expansion.

HOWEVER, my family disagrees They much prefer the bluffing and the added opportunities of the poison expansion. And they tend to prefer a little more luck and chaos in their games, in general.

So while I may not always use the Corruption expansion, on our family game nights it's now a MUST. The expansion DEFINITELY adds more chaos and unpredictability, especially in 2-3 player games. Not knowing which of the many extra abilities might be in play definitely makes planning more difficult, but it also amps up the feeling of reward when you pull off an especially surprising objective! My daughters like that the expansion can help them recover from potentially poor decisions or from unexpected plays from the other players.

And if you like bluffing, the additional rules for the expansion (playing even action cards face down as a 'bluff' for end-game moves) can make even the most seasoned player second-guess what's going on. If bluffing is your thing, the expansion is a must.

Choosing from your 4 available expansion cards in the beginning is actually a tough decision. There are definitely cards that will suit most every type of gameplay (from actively working towards objectives to sabotaging end-game scoring). I think that a few of the cards (extra slots for tokens) will rarely be used in our games, especially in 2-3 player games, but even there the addition can cause some interesting dynamics during gameplay. Choosing the cards that end up turning the tide of the game in your favor is EXTREMELY satisfying.. On the other hand, wasting your choices on cards that eventually have little effect definitely adds to your defeat, and makes you want to try again...

Overall, it seems to me that this expansion will appeal to many more types of gamers than it will turn away.. And for those that don't like it, it's easy enough to strip away and enjoy the bare bones basic game. As I said, while I'll continue to try and play the base game as often as possible, CoV will never come out on our family game night again without a bit of Corruption in the mix..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, Great review!

Just thinking about the order of selecting the corruption cards and choosing your character cards:

do you think choosing the corruption should be first or second? Does it impact the gameplay if one is ahead of the other. I know you can't do everything at once, but I was trying to get a feel for when would be best to pick the cards.

I think the character cards should be first, as those impact other players because of the drafting element. Some who tried this with me, though, liked the random puzzle element of having to pick a strategy from the corruption cards, then try and capture those characters from the drafting phase.

What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Funk
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For our family game nights, I can't imagine us doing anything other than the base drafting, first, followed by Corruption. I think the 'puzzle element' you describe would definitely be lost on them

However, I can see it as an interesting challenge to try and predict what a good strategy might be from the Corruption cards, first. When I try the game next with a more experienced gaming group, we'll have to give it a try

I have considered, for myself, if there might not be a better way of Corruption card selection. Some sort of drafting process that allows you to work toward your goals but still gives the other players a hint of what cards are in play during the game.. Having the knowledge, beforehand, of what might come at you would allow for better planning and less chaos. I just haven't thought of a good way to try it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jefunk wrote:
For our family game nights, I can't imagine us doing anything other than the base drafting, first, followed by Corruption. I think the 'puzzle element' you describe would definitely be lost on them

However, I can see it as an interesting challenge to try and predict what a good strategy might be from the Corruption cards, first. When I try the game next with a more experienced gaming group, we'll have to give it a try

I have considered, for myself, if there might not be a better way of Corruption card selection. Some sort of drafting process that allows you to work toward your goals but still gives the other players a hint of what cards are in play during the game.. Having the knowledge, beforehand, of what might come at you would allow for better planning and less chaos. I just haven't thought of a good way to try it...

I've thought about a better draft too. Maybe something like Citadels 2-player where you pick one, discard one, and pass them on. Some knowledge, but not all. I might try something like that.

I also love the expansion, so I am so excited for the upcoming Kickstarter. Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.