Subject: a question on mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been watching a lot of Rahdo (who doesn't?) and there are several instances where he refers to a mechanism being from another game - I can't remember exact details now, but there was definitely one refering to an auction mechanism (King's Abbey?).

Obviously, when it comes to the same designer (Pandemic and Forbidden Island/Desert), it's a bit clearer that the same mechanic can be used, but is there any IP or copyright to a mechanism? I'm not designing anything, just curious, as it seems to crop up a lot - I guess Yahtzee is a very good example. is there a stage when a mechanic becomes mainstream and accepted as just mechanic rather than that mechanic from that game?

If that makes sense, of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's basically a function of how unique specific parts of the gameplay are. The mechanic is built from simpler actions, and when the same actions show up together as a group, that can become a mechanic
Deckbuilding is one of the easiest examples.
Lots of games use constructed decks, but Dominion was the first to make it into an entire game.
Several games took the concept and modified it slightly. Trains adds a board and changes how cards work, but shares the features of different card types, card piles, and a difference between money cards action cards and and point cards. The inspiration is clear, so you can say Trains uses Dominion's Deckbuilding mechanic.
But something like Valley of the Kings really only uses behavior of constructing a deck and a 5 card hand, but scoring and buying act completely differently.

There's no real official protection or designation. In theory, you can patent a certain action or set of actions, but you'd have to prove that you legitimately invented a new behavior, with no inspiration, that was unique enough and powerful enough to be identified and copied. In reality, it doesn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
anevilgiraffe wrote:
I've been watching a lot of Rahdo (who doesn't?) and there are several instances where he refers to a mechanism being from another game - I can't remember exact details now, but there was definitely one refering to an auction mechanism (King's Abbey?).

Obviously, when it comes to the same designer (Pandemic and Forbidden Island/Desert), it's a bit clearer that the same mechanic can be used, but is there any IP or copyright to a mechanism? I'm not designing anything, just curious, as it seems to crop up a lot - I guess Yahtzee is a very good example. is there a stage when a mechanic becomes mainstream and accepted as just mechanic rather than that mechanic from that game?

If that makes sense, of course

Copyright Registration of Games

"Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. "

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

One of the few simple things in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.