Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Closing a location rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
If there are multiple characters at a location, can any of them attempt to close the location, or only the turn player.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Wagoner
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It is just the player whose turn it is that can attempt to close the location.

IIRC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr wrote:

It is just the player whose turn it is that can attempt to close the location.

IIRC...

Note, however, that when trying to TEMPORARILY close a location (after the villain is located), if one character at the location fails, another one at the location may also make the attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the current player can attempt to permanently close a location. Any character present at a location may attempt to temporarily close a location.

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get a little bit technical, the opportunity to close a location goes only to the player that earned it. If you are the player that encountered and defeated a henchman that grants an opportunity to close, then you are the only one that gets the opportunity. If you are the player at an empty location near the end of your turn, then you are the player that gets the opportunity.

There are some cases where it is possible to get an opportunity on another player's turn. But they are rare. As an example, if someone at another location encountered the villain, and you went to temporarily close your location, and your location said "Defeat or acquire the next card in the location deck." If that card was a henchman, defeating it would temporarily close the location, and grant you an opportunity to permanently close the location right then, before resuming the encounter with the villain. It isn't likely to happen, I've never personally seen it happen, but the cards exist to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to ask a clarifying question:

Harsk and Lini are at a location and encounter the bad guy - a two step villain. Harsk is the active player. He wins the first step, but Lini takes the second step, and wins.

Is it Lini who should attempt to close the location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Defeating a Villain automatically closes the location - no need to pass the check on the location itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, if it was a henchman that had two checks to defeat, Harsk would be the one to attempt to close the location. Because Harsk is the only one that encountered the henchman. Lini assisted with one of the checks, but Harsk was the one encountering the card. Harsk is the the one that defeated the card (Lini helped), so Harsk gets to close the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. That's the way we have played it, though I think we only had that occasion occur once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will ask a few follow questions about closing:

When permanently closing a location that requires the summoning of a henchman or monster - if the bane is not defeated, does it get shuffled back into the location deck?

When temporarily closing a location - because the closing actions occur on another player's turn - how do you handle the spending of cards? If I discard a card to temporarily close a location, do I draw back up to my hand limit after the bane is defeated, or at the end of my next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emoboy44 wrote:
When permanently closing a location that requires the summoning of a henchman or monster - if the bane is not defeated, does it get shuffled back into the location deck?

No, it goes back to the box. Here is the current rule:

Paizo FAQ wrote:
After evading a summoned card or resolving the encounter with it, never put it anywhere other than back in the box unless the card that caused you to summon it instructs you otherwise.

emoboy44 wrote:
When temporarily closing a location - because the closing actions occur on another player's turn - how do you handle the spending of cards? If I discard a card to temporarily close a location, do I draw back up to my hand limit after the bane is defeated, or at the end of my next turn?

You only get to draw back up when you reset your hand, which usually only happens at the end of your own turn. So if you user cards on another players turn you will be starting your turn with fewer cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.