Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme was never the problem with this game! It was the rulebook and tiny print on the player aids, and each player should have had their own player aid. All this game needs are rewritten rules and upgraded components! I am begging that the theme not be changed, thanks! :-) The theme is actually why my wife and I bought it. It's a really great game, it's just hard to see it through the opaque rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't buy the game with the current theme, but I will certainly buy it if the rumored new theme comes to fruition (the game development industry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a rumor as Ignacy directly said it was scheduled for 2016 in his podcast. And yes, it's being rethemed into companies making video games. Because gamer's think they'll get girl-cooties from making dresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That's really too bad. I quite enjoyed this game, and really appreciated the theme being something different from those that so commonly appear on TGOO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Because gamer's think they'll get girl-cooties from making dresses.

Tell that to those of us that have played Rococo. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Because gamer's think they'll get girl-cooties from making dresses.

Tell that to those of us that have played Rococo. cool

Exactly, it wasn't the theme that hurt Pret-a-Porter, rather it was the theme that set it apart from the pack in the first place. Rococo is similar enough in theme and it is highly respected and enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Not really a rumor as Ignacy directly said it was scheduled for 2016 in his podcast.

I'll quit calling it a rumor when I can order it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too interested in this odd meta-layer of game industry theming that has cropped up lately.

I mean, it's fine if designers want to self-congratulate...but it's like telling an inside joke that most people aren't a part of and aren't going to get. It's hard enough to explain or justify board games to people as it is. I can't even imagine how I'd explain this one; "We're playing a board game, and it's about board games".

So with that said, I feel like even if Pret-a-Porter's existing theme is unusual and off-putting to some, then a new board gaming theme is only going to shorten the reach, not extend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karkador wrote:
I'm not too interested in this odd meta-layer of game industry theming that has cropped up lately.

I mean, it's fine if designers want to self-congratulate...but it's like telling an inside joke that most people aren't a part of and aren't going to get. It's hard enough to explain or justify board games to people as it is. I can't even imagine how I'd explain this one; "We're playing a board game, and it's about board games".

So with that said, I feel like even if Pret-a-Porter's existing theme is unusual and off-putting to some, then a new board gaming theme is only going to shorten the reach, not extend it.

Let me clarify: the new theme is the video game development industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have considered purchasing Prêt-à-Porter in the past, and at the very least I'd love to try it sometime. The theme was a big reason why I was interested in the first place.

There's a much lower chance I'll purchase this game if it's re-themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:

Let me clarify: the new theme is the video game development industry.

Ah, in that case, that does seem a bit better, though I still think (from my time with the game) that the unusual fashion theme gets people curious enough to attract them to the game, as where another geeky theme is, well, just another geeky theme.

I think it's fair to retheme the game however they want to, but it seems true that Pret-a-Porter would blend into a crowd of many other similar games if it were not for its unusual theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the fact that they did something a little unusual for the theme. It's a shame that it didn't sell particularly well. And for everybody in this thread who said that their dislike had nothing to do with that theme, I've heard another person say in other threads that they didn't want to play it due to the fashion theme.

I'm hoping that a new theme lets more people discover this game. And more importantly that they write better rules this time around. I suspect that they'll streamline the game, like how 51st State was morphed into Imperial Settlers... and making the game a little more clean and less clunky would probably be a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that the video game development industry is another geeky theme, but has anyone done that theme well (in board game form)? No games come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
I get that the video game development industry is another geeky theme, but has anyone done that theme well (in board game form)? No games come to mind.

True. Although there are certainly videogame-themed board games, and I figure that a "video game development" theme would skew close enough to the former.

To be honest, I did enjoy "Game Dev Story" (a videogame about the same theme, on my tablet) - so I think the theme can certainly work (especially if I get to name the videogames ridiculous things), but will it work here?
Mayyyybe a little bit better, but perhaps the game itself could use some changes, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is fine.
My main problem with the game is having to look up every contract, building, and employee. (both sides). Does this give me a free design before or after the normal design phase? (I think the ones that require a worker are before, and the ones that don't are after).

With so few rounds and workers it is also unforgiving.

Despite its flaws I still like it.

Brian
(personal record - 7 designs in a collection)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to play Pret a Porter, but I do own Rococo... When I brought it out at one game meetup, after the end, a person asked me "so, you played this before you bought it, correct?" "No, why?" "the theme... About making dresses? Really, why would you buy that? Do you like making dresses? It's a great game, but why would you buy that?" "I dunno, why would you buy a game about farming and starving your family, where you need to beg to survive? Do you want to be hungry, and a farmer?" "No..." *walked away without another word*

Some people can't get past the theme. Some love it. Some hate it. Retheming isn't for the lovers of the game, it's for the haters, to get them to love the product. If you like the theme, don't buy the retheme. If you have the theme, await the retheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:

Some people can't get past the theme. Some love it. Some hate it. Retheming isn't for the lovers of the game, it's for the haters, to get them to love the product. If you like the theme, don't buy the retheme. If you have the theme, await the retheme.

Of course, that's the sensible thing to say - but the only reason this is even a discussion is because the original version (with the fashion theme) is out of print and apparently not coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I thought the theme was fine. It worked very well for the game and quiet frankly, I found it a nice departure from other games that follow a mold for theme sometimes.

What wrecked me with this game was the instructions. Once I got how to play it was great, but getting through the instructions was rough. I am glad I did though!

There is nothing funnier than a bunch of men sitting around talking fashion in gaming! This is especially true since we didn't know what some of it was. All I remember is one of the guys reading the instructions and going "Boho? What the f**k is Boho?" LOL The first play we had a woman playing with us and she filled us in so now it is a running joke whenever we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
Not really a rumor as Ignacy directly said it was scheduled for 2016 in his podcast. And yes, it's being rethemed into companies making video games. Because gamer's think they'll get girl-cooties from making dresses.

I have not played this yet, but I wonder if the retheme will lower the prices on Prêt-à-Porter. I find the theme refreshing and would like to add a copy to my collection. While I have heard that this is a good game, I have also heard this game is fiddly and clunky. As such, I would not want to pay more than MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to get rid of their copy while they wait for the re-theme, shoot me a message, I would much rather have the Fashion Industry theme(with bad rulebook, tiny print) than the Video Game Industry theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
If anyone wants to get rid of their copy while they wait for the re-theme, shoot me a message, I would much rather have the Fashion Industry theme(with bad rulebook, tiny print) than the Video Game Industry theme.

:)

both sounds good to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:

I'll get in that line! Contact me if there's a second unwanted copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played this I didn't think the theme would bug me at all, zip. But it did, so much so I never wanted to play it again despite it's really good mechanics. So I for one am happy about a reprint! I even told my friends when we played it video games would be a great retheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
Vacabck wrote:

both sounds good to me!

It'll probably be fine, but I'll doubt I ever want to own the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot wait to hear more about the re-themed version - hope some more information is revealed soon! ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.