Carlos Gomez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

And we have posted all the rules here: http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2wrf77/faith_the_scifi_...

We are always looking for feedback and I think here we might receive some great feedback. After all, one of the core ideas behind the game is to grab the interest of board game players, who might want to try a RPG but they have not found the right one yet. Would you want to help us?

We have run across several difficulties coming up with this design, mostly because some people are not sure at first glance if we are making a RPG or a board game. The game uses cards and tokens:

Click here for the full gallery: http://faith.burning-games.com/faith-rpg-gallery/

You can download the game for free at: http://faith.burning-games.com/ (go to the Print&Play section)

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Gomez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If you rather to listen than to read, here we explain the core mechanics in a little over 6 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5BZU6YRQt0&spfreload=10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fishwick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great artwork.

Some typos in your Campaign document though. Labyrinth and navigating both incorrectly spelled, just on the first page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice artwork!

Just FYI, your website took ages to load (approx 1 minute). Also, you might want to put a link to your kickstarter in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Gomez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Fishwick wrote:
Great artwork.

Some typos in your Campaign document though. Labyrinth and navigating both incorrectly spelled, just on the first page.

Thanks for pointing it out! Please excuse us, we are not native English speakers. We will hire a professional editor to go over all the texts in the game, but only once it is finished - things keep changing now

I'll fix those now, tho!

djn1981 wrote:
Nice artwork!

Just FYI, your website took ages to load (approx 1 minute). Also, you might want to put a link to your kickstarter in the original post.

Oh wow, maybe we went overboard with the amount of art on the page haha
Thanks for being patient I will check how to fix that, to me it loads fine, but maybe I have the cookies or something.

I did not put a KS link because it feel like I would be spamming... I am not sure I should, are you sure it is OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So would this be somehow different than the players having cards that depict their spells and the like? I've seen "cards" used in RPGs, even in resolving actions (SAGA system by Wizards immediately springs to mind). I'm not an avid RPGer, but I know a bit. What would you be looking for?

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Gomez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
warrenfitz45 wrote:
I've seen "cards" used in RPGs, even in resolving actions (SAGA system by Wizards immediately springs to mind).

Hi! Using cards to resolve actions is not something that we have invented of course, there are plenty of games that use them - we have simply invented how they are used in our system.

warrenfitz45 wrote:
So would this be somehow different than the players having cards that depict their spells and the like?

There are three types of cards in Faith. Player cards, gear cards & NPC cards.

- Player cards are a poker deck with unique illustrations from the universe of the game and new suits representing types of environment (Urban, nature, space, OS). Each player draws a hand of playing cards. From their hand players choose which card to play when they are performing actions and their action value increases as much as the value of the card played.

- Gear cards are probably the closest to the "spell cards" you mentioned, as they represent the different futuristic and powerful gear each character carries with him. In PNP RPG you write down your gear in your character sheet, here you pick up the corresponding card. They are useful to have a visual reference of your gear (which can be hard in a sci-fi setting) and its abilities at hand.

- NPC cards represent the opponents you will face in your adventures, they are useful for the GM as he can show the players what each NPC looks like and he has all the stats there. People sometimes also draw random NPC cards to create encounters.

warrenfitz45 wrote:
I'm not an avid RPGer, but I know a bit. What would you be looking for?

Thanks for asking!

We are looking for feedback on the rules if you have ideas to make them more streamlined

We are also looking for feedback on the powers, upgrades and gear cards; as there are so many abilities it is hard for a small team like us to playtest all the possibilities and when other people try the game we always get good comments on improving the balance.

Or if you have any comments about anything else that we are doing - we'll like to hear them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tahyer wrote:

I did not put a KS link because it feel like I would be spamming... I am not sure I should, are you sure it is OK?

I think you're right to be cautious - my understanding is that other than in a few specified places (like the Kickstarter announcement thread) you're not allowed to place Kickstarter links, and run the risk of posts being deleted.

Of course there are ways to get around this - like placing a link to another website site which contains a link to Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tahyer wrote:
warrenfitz45 wrote:
I've seen "cards" used in RPGs, even in resolving actions (SAGA system by Wizards immediately springs to mind).

Hi! Using cards to resolve actions is not something that we have invented of course, there are plenty of games that use them - we have simply invented how they are used in our system.

warrenfitz45 wrote:
So would this be somehow different than the players having cards that depict their spells and the like?

There are three types of cards in Faith. Player cards, gear cards & NPC cards.

- Player cards are a poker deck with unique illustrations from the universe of the game and new suits representing types of environment (Urban, nature, space, OS). Each player draws a hand of playing cards. From their hand players choose which card to play when they are performing actions and their action value increases as much as the value of the card played.

- Gear cards are probably the closest to the "spell cards" you mentioned, as they represent the different futuristic and powerful gear each character carries with him. In PNP RPG you write down your gear in your character sheet, here you pick up the corresponding card. They are useful to have a visual reference of your gear (which can be hard in a sci-fi setting) and its abilities at hand.

- NPC cards represent the opponents you will face in your adventures, they are useful for the GM as he can show the players what each NPC looks like and he has all the stats there. People sometimes also draw random NPC cards to create encounters.

warrenfitz45 wrote:
I'm not an avid RPGer, but I know a bit. What would you be looking for?

Thanks for asking!

We are looking for feedback on the rules if you have ideas to make them more streamlined

We are also looking for feedback on the powers, upgrades and gear cards; as there are so many abilities it is hard for a small team like us to playtest all the possibilities and when other people try the game we always get good comments on improving the balance.

Or if you have any comments about anything else that we are doing - we'll like to hear them!

I'm a big fan of the SAGA System, I think I still have the Marvel version of it somewhere in the garage.

I've been toying with using it in conjunction with my Mage Knight 'clix minis to have a homebrew RPG. Like you, I was planning on using a poker deck. Low value cards would act first, but contribute a small bonus to the action. Face cards have a value of 10, but are also associated with special "feats" unique to each character.

Playing an Ace or a suit matching the action also have you a bonus - randomly drawn from the deck. Physical fighting actions are associated with clubs, for example. Playing a Ten of Hearts would give you a bonus of 10; but, playing an Ace of Clubs would let you act first, plus 2 bonus cards drawn from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Gomez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We made a new video explaining the Suit cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SkoOIaKf6k&feature=youtu.be

I hope you like how they work!

I will make new videos explaining each type of card in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.