Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I just had an awesome game on OCTGN with my beloved Highlander HB:EtF Deck Spaas Bioroid v2.0 and I thought, that the finish of that game makes up a good riddle. Let's go!

We are in the runner's turn at match point.

Board state:

Runner:

33 Credits
5 Agenda Points
2 Clicks

3 hand cards (unknown)

[VT = virus token]

Hardware: 3x Cyberfeeder, 1x Grimoire
Resources: 1x Aesop's Pawnshop, 2x Virus Breeding Ground with 4 VT each
Programs: 1x Cache (empty), 1x Progenitor (empty), 1x Hivemind (3 VT) hosted on a second Progenitor,
1x Djinn (0 MU unused), 3x Chakana (2x 1 VT, 1x 2VT), 1x Darwin (3 VT), 1x Medium (1 VT)

Corporation:

19 credits
5 Agenda Points

5 cards in HQ: Lotus Field, Interns, Successful Demonstration, NAPD Contract, Utopia Fragment

3 cards in R&D: Eli 1.0, Enhanced Login Protocol, Project Vitruvius

20 cards in Archives: Biotic Labor, Subliminal Messaging, Pup, Restructure, Lag Time, Bioroid Efficiency Research, Green Level Clearance, Wall of Static, Tollbooth, Self-Destruct, Peak Efficiency, Archived Memories, Melange Mining Corp., Blue Level Clearance, Daily Business Show, Hedge Fund, Eve Campaign, Adonis Campaign, Eliza's Toybox, Executive Bootcamp.

Servers (ICE from outermost to innermost):

Archives: Ichi 1.0 (rezzed)

R&D: Inazuma (unrezzed) -> Janus 1.0 (unrezzed) -> Architect (unrezzed). 1 Upgrade: Corporate Troubleshooter

HQ: Archer (unrezzed) -> Rototurret (unrezzed)

Remote Server: Swordsman (unrezzed) -> Chum (unrezzed) -> Viktor 2.0 (unrezzed) -> Wotan (unrezzed) -> Neural Katana (rezzed). 2 Upgrades: Ash XYZ, Strongbox. 1 Priority Requisition with five advancement tokens.

Screenshot:

On his third Click, the Runner initiated a run on R&D. What should the Corp do in order to maximize his chances of winning? Please use the spoiler-function for your answer
Hope you enjoy the riddle as well as the solution (at least, if I played correctly) as much as I did

Have fun!

EDIT: Screenshot was taken after the match was finished. Some things might be different from described board state. Accept written information as correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellenburg
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This was pretty tricky and I had to refamiliarize myself with a lot of these cards for it, but I figured something out.

1) Do not rez the first two pieces of ice. Janus won't kill him unless combined with Architect+Corporate Troubleshooter, which costs more than 19 credits.
2) Rez Architect (costs 4). Use Corporate Troubleshooter to boost strength +4 to be above Darwin (costs 4+4=8; 19-8 = 11 credits remaining).
3) If there is an agenda in the top 3 cards of RnD, install it in a new remote server, then install Self Destruct as an upgrade to that same server.
4) If the runner runs that new server on his fourth click, rez self destruct to save the agenda by trashing it (costs 2; 9 credits remaining).
5) If for the runners' fourth click he runs the remote server, rely on Strongbox (costs 3; 6 credits remaining) to prevent the agenda steal.
6) On the corps turn, triple advance and score Priority Req. (costs 3 and ends the game; 3 credits left over)

This plan fails if the runner has cards in hand that allow him to gain clicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevnburg wrote:
This was pretty tricky and I had to refamiliarize myself with a lot of these cards for it, but I figured something out.

1) Do not rez the first two pieces of ice. Janus won't kill him unless combined with Architect+Corporate Troubleshooter, which costs more than 19 credits.
2) Rez Architect (costs 4). Use Corporate Troubleshooter to boost strength +4 to be above Darwin (costs 4+4=8; 19-8 = 11 credits remaining).
3) If there is an agenda in the top 3 cards of RnD, install it in a new remote server, then install Self Destruct as an upgrade to that same server.
4) If the runner runs that new server on his fourth click, rez self destruct to save the agenda by trashing it (costs 2; 9 credits remaining).
5) If for the runners' fourth click he runs the remote server, rely on Strongbox (costs 3; 6 credits remaining) to prevent the agenda steal.
6) On the corps turn, triple advance and score Priority Req. (costs 3 and ends the game; 3 credits left over)

Absolutely right. Best runner play is to run HQ, as this yields a 40% chance of winning.

Well done, sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingbert wrote:
kevnburg wrote:

Absolutely right. Best runner play is to run HQ, as this yields a 40% chance of winning.

Well done, sir!

Even though HQ gives 40% chance to win, would you really call making that run the right call? Without a nerve agent to maximize cards seen, they don't have a great chance to win, still les than 50/50 (and keep in mind they don't know agendas are even there). Plus they have to run past 2 unknown ice. But with Hivemind, incubators, Medium and all sorts of other RnD goodies, I still say they made the right play here. They went for the dig. They simply got outplayed.

Great puzzle! Knew the solution was in the architect. Janus is rarely the answer due to being so costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even though HQ gives 40% chance to win, would you really call making that run the right call? Without a nerve agent to maximize cards seen, they don't have a great chance to win, still les than 50/50 (and keep in mind they don't know agendas are even there). Plus they have to run past 2 unknown ice. But with Hivemind, incubators, Medium and all sorts of other RnD goodies, I still say they made the right play here. They went for the dig. They simply got outplayed.

Great puzzle! Knew the solution was in the architect. Janus is rarely the answer due to being so costly.

Even though the Janus-flatline is only 1 Credit short of feasibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls