Shadows of Malice» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Into the unknown... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rather than writing up my session, I have decided to try and report as my game (or rather adventure) develops. The adventure is based on 2 map tiles, 3 avatars, solo play. Also to note this is only my 2nd real go at the game - so please be aware I may make mistakes. Hopefully I can continue with the adventure each evening, so there should not be much to delay in continuing the adventure !

I have never written a report - however this game has inspired me to think of it as a creative adventure, with getting as much out as you put in. Also please understand that I am not a creative writer - so apologies if it does not read like the next Game of Thrones Book

And so our adventure begins .....

Our friends, families and the Realms of Malice were dependant on our success... the difference between light & dark. The adventure began with 2 map sections to explore, 1 partially covered in woods and water, with the second covered mainly by a swamp which we knew would slow us down.

Although from previous parties and the reconnaissance we knew there would be a few bridges which may help us out - although our fate of seeing if God Speed was with us was still to be decided.

We had all decided to head into this adventure as a group rather than all try to be the hero of the day, the Great Wizard of Weasel named Felli had advised us that banding together would provide us with a slightly better chance against the shadows... we decided that 'slightly' was worth the effort in working together and sharing the treasures which we would hopefully find.

We said our farewells, gathered our gear of 3 potions along with a few treasures that we had found on a previous adventure, our hopes were that we would be soon finding more.

Our first days travel was slow, a role of '1' + 2, provide us with a disappointing MP 3. However luckily the gods were on our side, a Mystic had camped out just one wild terrain away from us.

After a slow start to the day The Mystic welcomed us with open arms and through tales and songs of adventure that night, we learnt that the Mystic understood the ways of 'healing'. Thankfully we did not require his ability that evening - however we were sure his skills would be required before our adventure was over.

We turned in for the night, hoping to further our adventure further in the morning.

In the dark of the night, the Shadows of Xulthul began to wake and rumble, like dark thunder clouds waiting to strike. Unknown to the ourselves, one Shadow Gate unsealed itself, while with a shimmering of the night air, a new Shadow appeared out of the cloak of the night.

The Mystic woke our party early in the morning to a roaring fire and supplies in readiness for the days ahead. With hearty breakfast inside of us, we thanked our host and departed.

With anything being an improvement on yesterdays MP 3, we managed a lowly MP 4, something was wrong with our footwear.

We had heard rumours of a lair within travelling distance, hoping that we could turn our luck on new treasures we headed to the West. Luckily we had enough movement that day to carry us and investigate the lair.

As we approached the lair we felt ready for anything as we could see the stocked treasure glistening towards the back of the cave, however it was too far to make out exactly its contents.

Standing between us and the treasure was an Ichthyic water serpent- which made sense as its lair was surround by water. The serpent looked as if it had a lowly Power of 2, however time would tell to see if its 1 Impervious ability would help in its defense.

We locked together in a small wedge formation and waded forwarded in the water to engage in joint combat with our first creature of this adventure.

....TBC...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sacco
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose & returned to Mordor. There he dwelt, dark & silent, until he wrought a new guise, an image of malice & hatred made visible; the Eye of Sauron.
badge
One moment only it stared out as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye. The Eye was not turned on them, it gazed north but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that it's not another Game of Thrones; because I don't want to wait a year and a half (or more) for the next installment.

That said, I think there's some angry townsfolk who want it made clear, your heroes are trying to save the Realms of Aethos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, this is great stuff! Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The adventure continues .....

We left our band of adventurers about to embark on their first fight against a Serpent / Ichthyic ... lets see what happens !

(round 1)
Between the three of us, we were all eager to make the first strike a 1d3 was rolled - giving that first opportunity to the Red Warden (avatar). As a band we all struck for a CR 5 against the creatures CR 2 + 1(CR mod) - 1 (Devious Weasel Boots mod) (net CR 2) ... bang, we hit.. we hit good.

However this Ichthyic of Life 4 was not going down without a struggle. Unfortunately we found that its Impervios ability offered it a +2d* do resist our melee dmg.

Rolling a 3 & 6 (0,1) for the +2d* the creature was lucky to deflect our hit, cancelling out any wounds.

(round 2)
Blue Warden - CR 5
Creature - CR 1 + 1 (CR mod) - net 2
HIT - Creature Defense - Impervious +2d* (0,0) = 1 wound
Long Knife of Sea & Scale - +1d* (4) = 1 extra wound
Long Knife of Sea & Scale against Ichthyics - +1d2 (1) = 1 extra wound

Net wounds 3 (creature 1 life token left)

(round 3)
Red Warden - CR 6
Creature - CR 1 + 1 (CR mod) - net 2
HIT - Creature Defense - Impervious +2d* (3,6) = net 0 wound

(round 4)
Red Warden - CR 4
Creature CR 4 + 1 (CR mod)
However Red Warden has -1d* CR by creature - rolls 4
Creature CR net 4

No hits

(round 5)
Red Warden - CR 6
Creature net CR 3
HIT - Creature Defense - Impervious +2d* (1,6) = 0 wound

(round 6)
Blue Warden - CR 6
Creature net CR 4
HIT - Creature Defense - Impervious +2d* (6,3) = 0 wound
Long Knife of Sea & Scale - +1d* (4) = 1 extra wound
Long Knife of Sea & Scale against Ichthyics - +1d2 (1) = 1 extra wound

Net wounds 2 Creature Killed.

As the Ichthyic took its last dying breath, we looked at each other - thinking that with a bit of luck on our side we could defeat the shadows !

We rubbed our hands as we began to harvest the soul shards from the scaled creature. Out of the possible 4 (4d*) we collected 2 shards + 1 yellow for its ability.

Our treasure for our efforts came in the form of a Sea Dragon Plate. On closer examination, this would provide Red Warden defense against melee and ice attacks.

We agreed that the creatures ability had been tough, extending our fight, however the ability was not tough enough for our continuous high CR roles - in the end we managed to find a way through.

We decided to take a quick rest, thankfully none of our party was wounded. While we were collecting we were discussing our poor MP, and during which Red Warden mention that he had recently discovered he that his Devious Weasel Boots provided him with a +2d* (my bad for not reading my starting treasures !!) - hopefully this would provide us with a usable benefit on future treks.

We decided to push on through the night, noticing that far far into the distance the mountains grew ever darker. In our limited understanding another shadow gate had opened, to cast an ever growing shadow across the land along with the all ready evil Shadow gaining strength (+1 life token). Thankfully time was on our hands, as for this evening, the shadow would remain in its realm.

We pushed forwards with a MP = (band lowest)4 + 2 ... although nobodies fate was in luck today... there would be plenty more opportunities for us to fulfill out fate.

With a spring in our step (MP 6) we easily made it to the next stocked lair. Pressing ahead trying to improve our inventory we pushed into the lair buried deep in the mountain side.

We were greeted by a rather unfriendly - Terrovan (1). Thankfully the creature did not look to powerful Pwr 2 (4) and showed no abilities (2). Approaching the Terrovan, we felt our glass was half full !

Round 1
The Red Warden led the attack with the band helping of CR 6.
The creature returned with a CR net 5.... luck was on our side this round. With no abilities to further defend itself, the creature was reduced to 3 life tokens.

Round 2
Wanting a part of the action Blue Warden lept forward with an attack of CR net 6.
Even with a strong attack the creature returned with a CR net 6. Stalemate.

Round 3
Blue Warden - CR 6
Creature CR 2 + 1 (CR mod)
Hit - 1 wound
Long Knife of Sea & Scale - +1d* (6) = 1 extra wound
net 2 wounds

Round 4
Red Warden - CR 6
Creature CR 3 + 1 (CR mod)
Hit - 1 wound

Creature Killed

Our band was beginning to click... 2 creatures down and no wounds. We collected 4 colourless shards and also a Heroic Armour - this completed our bands set of armour - we all now had a decent defense for the battles ahead.

...the adventure continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.