Hide
14 Posts

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Am I the only one with this problem? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
msg tools

I have played the game two times, and I think its great with my gaming group. However, the ending of the game was very poor the two times and I really didnt like it. I would like to see if someone feel the same way. Please not that I havent play with the 'you die you become and an alien' extra rule.

The game is not easy and often people die. The two times that I have play, only one player remained in the game. This was very poor ending because everyone who died was not interested in the game anymore. The begin to Watch their phones, go to the bathroom or talk to other friends. At the end, the only player who concentrate on the game is the active player because the other got nothing to do. This game, the two times, a very poor ending.

The other problem I saw was that even if the last played achieved the mission, the other players didnt feel that they just won? The rules say that you win, but when you died 10 minutes ago and didnt contrebuate in the last rounds, you dont feel that you did win.

I know that the you become a alien rules put back the player in action. However, I hesitate to use it because I feel that the game become harder with this and I already feel that the game is hard. Anyone have experience with this?

thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3p game back when the game first came out. Fast forward, I was the only one left standing. The other two guys were totally watching what I did and I eventually played with an open hand and the three of us were very engaged as I dealt out damage to the enemy. There was anticipation with every card played and we ended up winning. I think all of us actually cheered when the final shoot took down the Queen.

To sum up, I think the crowd you play with will determine whether you will continue to have fun with this title as a multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmo Viitanen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
It's the usual player elimination problem. I guess it depends on who you're playing with. I've only played it solo so far, but when in my 3-avatar game someone dies I simply call it a loss. But so far it seems pretty difficult with this rule with 3 avatars. No idea if it would simply become a test of pure luck with, for example, 5. So I don't know, maybe try that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe let dead players choose a new avatar and begin from scratch with the starting deck. Think of it as the sole survivor calling in reinforcements who had previously locked themselves in their quarters for just such a situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always have them come back as an Alien... mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
Maybe let dead players choose a new avatar and begin from scratch with the starting deck. Think of it as the sole survivor calling in reinforcements who had previously locked themselves in their quarters for just such a situation.

This is what we do, and to not let the game drag on, we only allow for a certain "respawns" like this, after that game over for all. Usually its number of players / 2 = max number of respawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of player elimination in any game. It's not fun for me to watch others play, and I'm not allowed to play. It's one of the reasons why I've come to hate King of Tokyo. Having a player turn into an Alien mitigates it somewhat, but it doesn't eliminate player elimination entirely. I like the idea of giving the eliminated player a new avatar; I might have to try that. I was considering just ending the game if a player dies and doesn't turn into an Alien. I typically only play with 2-3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 (and also with 3), I would say let 1 player "respawn", next death game over for al.
Works really great for us.
But be adviced this makes the game harder most of the time. You will have a player with start deck and really big aliens to kill. But we like it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Karl
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been thinking about this problem myself. Player elimination is pretty sucky, but you can't make people immortal, so it's a bit of a toss-up. I think the biggest problem that I have with the player elimination in this game is that it doesn't actually make the game any harder. The surviving players still only deal with one new hive card per turn. It's as if the aliens realise there are less people to kill and so they slow down their advance. If the dead player still triggered a hive card, that would make things very different for the survivors. They probably wouldn't be survivors for much longer. This way, the dead players don't have as long to wait and it means that you'll probably only go on to win if you're right at the end of the game, in which case a death or two is actually fairly thematic and doesn't detract from the experience too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. Hamlin
United States
Medina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Uncle Gus wrote:
I think the biggest problem that I have with the player elimination in this game is that it doesn't actually make the game any harder. The surviving players still only deal with one new hive card per turn. It's as if the aliens realise there are less people to kill and so they slow down their advance. If the dead player still triggered a hive card, that would make things very different for the survivors.

We've found that player elimination (without agendas) actually makes the game easier. The hive deck is still setup with N drone deck cards, but N-1 players, so the result is that the remaining players are more likely to win. So, we actually house-rule that the dead player still has a turn and draws a hive deck card. Facehuggers go to the next player (and that player only has the rest of the dead player's turn and then his own turn to deal with it). That seems to be just about the right balance for our group. And it gives the dead player something to do (run the hive deck on their turns, and usually run it on other players turns too just to speed it up). Sure, it still sucks to be eliminated, but at least they get to do something.

We're going to try that a dead player starts over with the same agenda (if they are in play) but a new avatar and a fresh starter deck this week. This option seems like it would be the better blend of keeping the difficulty (same # of hive cards revealed before your next turn), and letting the player who died have something to do. A weak deck won't do much, but it is better than just watching.

On a side note, I'm not actually sure if the rulebook covers the fact that a dead player skips their entire turn. We couldn't find anything that stated it explicitly.

-J.C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the date I've only played 2-player-games (x2) and 1x Solo. On the 2pg we lost, the player who died (me), died nearly the end of the game so player elimination wasn't much issue, but I'm really concerned that this would be a real problem with more people.

One of the ideas I read to "mitigate" this problem was that any dead player (by strikes or chestburster) continued playing as the Alien player (if more than one died, they shared the deck).
I really like the idea of re-spawning with a new avatar and a weak starting deck (maybe including a couple of Sarges?). This player would be a burden for the team since it's deck wouldn't be optimised and would trigger a Hive card on his turn keeping the difficulty up.

Any more feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. Hamlin
United States
Medina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dharzen wrote:
One of the ideas I read to "mitigate" this problem was that any dead player (by strikes or chestburster) continued playing as the Alien player (if more than one died, they shared the deck).

That would be very harsh. Having even one alien player makes the game much more difficult. Having multiples, unless you are at the end and about to win, is very difficult. But hey, if you are finding that the game is too easy, this would be a way to compensate.

Dharzen wrote:
I really like the idea of re-spawning with a new avatar and a weak starting deck (maybe including a couple of Sarges?). This player would be a burden for the team since it's deck wouldn't be optimised and would trigger a Hive card on his turn keeping the difficulty up.

We tried this alternate rule last weekend, and it seemed to be the perfect balance of keeping the difficulty up after a player dies. A respawned player draws a hive card (so the difficulty doesn't drop considerably because of the player death) but the new player couldn't do much initially: buy some low cost cards in HQ to get them out of the way so other players had better options to buy, and scan a room or two or kill a drone deck card (which ends up being a decrease in difficulty since you have better barracks deck cards as options and a scanned room or small threat eliminated). It seemed to be just the right balance. The players lost both of the 5-player games we played, but it was very close: the game beat us out of sheer luck on the turn before we would have won (both games). You can't get much more balanced than that. And everyone will come back next week excited and looking to get revenge on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jchamlin wrote:
Dharzen wrote:

That would be very harsh. Having even one alien player makes the game much more difficult. Having multiples, unless you are at the end and about to win, is very difficult. But hey, if you are finding that the game is too easy, this would be a way to compensate.

I'm afraid I didn't explained properly. I meant that the dead players shared the Alien deck and decided together which cards to play, so there is only 1 Human-Alien out there, 1 alien turn.
(I guess this might be boring for the dead people respawned as alien, so option 2 - respawning with a new human avatar - will be the way to go)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Player elimination is no fun for us. Sure, it's a matter of taste. So we play that if one player dies, we lost all and startet a new game. Interessting, how curious the players watch the health of others and reconsider in their decisions. Of course it's harder to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.