Line Dice» Forums » News

Subject: New gameplay rule in testing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
We have a new gameplay rule we're testing out, and so far I like it. After a bit more testing, it might become canon. The rule is this:

The road you're building should never move more than 2 sections forward without turning again. Both Straights and/or Crosses count as moving forward. You have to curve it one way or another after the second forward movement.

This prevents the "Straightaway into nothingness" that has plagued some games. It also puts pressure on people to bleed off their straights and crosses. Give this new rule a try and see what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a rule that prevents the layout from exceeding certain dimensions? I think Trax says the layout can't exceed 8x8 tiles, for exqmple. That might be a more interesting way to handle the Rail To Infinity problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
That's a possibility, but does that mean you've tried playing it with the 2 forward move limitation? If you haven't, I think you might be discounting it's effectiveness too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played, and I dont mean to say your rule proposal wouldn't be effective. What I was thinking of are situations in some connection games like Hex where a "ladder" is built and a race of sorts happens--if Black doesn't play *here* then White plays *there* and guarantees the win. I envisioned a similar race to the edge of a play area (one that isn't definitively set by a physical boundary but by the actions of the players) and thought it could be interesting and strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Way ahead of you on that one. You should check out the Grids proposal:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1195665/line-dice-grids

This is what the final version looks like:

There is a 3d printed version of this available, but I have yet to have it manufactured. You can get a copy on my Shapeways store:
http://shpws.me/FvZy

It's basically an infinite gameboard, kinda like Pacman, where the sides connect. It works pretty well, but I have yet to throw the $7000 at this project it will take to make it a reality. Until I have a few more stores to steadily sell Line Dice in, it'll remain as an "early adopter" project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.